PDA

View Full Version : Which car would you buy??

07ROUSHSTG3
02-03-2008, 01:03 PM
well, i am debating on my next purchase. I have gone back and forth for a while now and figured to throw up a poll to see what others would do. I plan on buying another car this spring/summer to give the roush some company in the garage. i have pretty much decided that the car will be an import but there is still the chance that the new camaro might tempt me or the 2010 mustang will be worth waiting for. so if you had the money in hand and could purchase one of the following, which one would it be and why. i am not looking for any bashing, even though i know around here that is a given :rolleyes: if there is a reason why you would absolutely not buy one of the following let me know. i am looking to do some light modding but nothing too crazy. if someone has any insight into the modding capabilities of any of them, let me know. so again:

which one would you buy and why? which one would you stear clear of and why?

GRAMPS SS
02-03-2008, 01:08 PM
don't know much about the cars listed...but why not buy a KR or a GT500 to keep the ROUSH company.....:thumbsup

88Nightmare
02-03-2008, 01:08 PM
lotus exige. that thing is sick looking!

PureSound15
02-03-2008, 01:09 PM
A very close friend of mine owns a large chain of Mazda dealerships in Texas. They have so many problems with the RX8, it's ridiculous. Mazda is having so many problems covering the warranty costs. I'd definitely stear clear of that.
Plus, have you driven one? They're incredibly slow.

Audi TT... I'm biased towards German cars, but as far as modding, it's a blast. The chipping programs are amazing. My Jetta was a great car, 250 hp 300 ft tq and yet 35 MPH on the highway. I love the sound and tuneability of audi/vw cars.

Those are the only 2 that I have experience with. $.02

Flicktitty
02-03-2008, 01:11 PM
EVO X - IMO There will be alot of aftermarket parts for the car. But for almost 40K out of the dealership they are gonna be pretty pricey off of the get go. AWD though makes more sense in Wisconsin seeing how you could drive it everyday without being too scared. Gets kids attention and NO respect from people other then Import people. Had gets bad attention from the police.

Lotus Exige- FUN summer car. Expensive to Mod,Expensive to buy,Only room for 1 other person. But would get anyones attention, both good and bad

Audi TT - LOVE THEM. The new body style is just killer. Do a chip,exhaust and it will be a fun little car that looks cool, But mods are expensive but they are AWD for all seasons. I can't imagine new TT's are cheap though. or even a decent price.

Mazda RX8 - GAY. that is all i need to say. Unless mazda did some amazing things to the New RX8 there is NO WAY i would get ride of your car for a New RX8.

It's pretty much where you are in life. If you don't care about a boy race image get the EVO. IF you would rather look like your somewhere in life to everyone Get the Lotus. If you want people to question if your gay or not and they know you have money get the TT. If your dumb get the RX8. Plus do you have to figure do you have kids? if not when will you and how long are you going to be keeping the car?

I know this isn't on the list but what about a newer 04-05-06 Audi S4? (4.2L V8 AWD) ?

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Evo Ten.

pickardracing
02-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Love the Evo, but given the choices, I'd take the Lotus simply for exclusivity.

Yooformula
02-03-2008, 01:17 PM
I went with the Evo, even stock its a fast ride plus awd. I really like the Lotus but too small and no room for passengers also not too confident with its poor weather handling.

07ROUSHSTG3
02-03-2008, 01:18 PM
don't know much about the cars listed...but why not buy a KR or a GT500 to keep the ROUSH company.....:thumbsup

eh.... i don;t really drool over the gt500 like some do. i respect the powertrain, but that is about it. as for the KR, all it is is a gt500 with a bigger blower....again, eh. i am not looking for a straight line car. being so close to road america and so far from a drag strip, it makes more sense for me to get a car that is fun in the corners. that is one of the reasons i went with a stage 3 over the gt500 in the first place.

07ROUSHSTG3
02-03-2008, 01:19 PM
this should help some with the poll!

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t246/07ROUSHSTG3/evo10_05_lrg.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t246/07ROUSHSTG3/exige.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t246/07ROUSHSTG3/tt.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t246/07ROUSHSTG3/pho_gallery_RX8_ext11.jpg

CobraSnake
02-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I voted for the lotus. You already have a nice straight line car might as well get the best of both worlds and get the best handling car there is.

Mark

GRAMPS SS
02-03-2008, 01:25 PM
well....after seeing the pics and going off of what i first saw when i did look at them,....i would have to go with the Lotus Exige...that car is frecking sick....

07ROUSHSTG3
02-03-2008, 01:26 PM
EVO X - IMO There will be alot of aftermarket parts for the car. But for almost 40K out of the dealership they are gonna be pretty pricey off of the get go. AWD though makes more sense in Wisconsin seeing how you could drive it everyday without being too scared. Gets kids attention and NO respect from people other then Import people. Had gets bad attention from the police.

Lotus Exige- FUN summer car. Expensive to Mod,Expensive to buy,Only room for 1 other person. But would get anyones attention, both good and bad

Audi TT - LOVE THEM. The new body style is just killer. Do a chip,exhaust and it will be a fun little car that looks cool, But mods are expensive but they are AWD for all seasons. I can't imagine new TT's are cheap though. or even a decent price.

Mazda RX8 - GAY. that is all i need to say. Unless mazda did some amazing things to the New RX8 there is NO WAY i would get ride of your car for a New RX8.

It's pretty much where you are in life. If you don't care about a boy race image get the EVO. IF you would rather look like your somewhere in life to everyone Get the Lotus. If you want people to question if your gay or not and they know you have money get the TT. If your dumb get the RX8. Plus do you have to figure do you have kids? if not when will you and how long are you going to be keeping the car?

I know this isn't on the list but what about a newer 04-05-06 Audi S4? (4.2L V8 AWD) ?

AWESOME EVALUATION!!
i do have a kid and plan on having another one, but that is not really an issue. I do not plan on putting a car seat in the mustang EVER, and the same would go for the new car. I would not be driving it in the winter either, so that is again, not an option. either way, by what you said the mazda is pretty much out. i like how they look, and i like the platform, but this isn;t the first time i have heard bad things. also, i want it to be new. i would consider a used lotus, but since there will not be any used evo x's or 08 audi tt's, it is really not an option.

keep the opinions coming!

BoosTT
02-03-2008, 01:35 PM
I own a tt... they are great! Maintance is $$$, but who cares?? Right now my tt is my dd, but I plan on changeing that in the next year and save the tt as a collector car. (if I recal correctly) it was cnet that declared the tt to be a collector car in the fueture.

The tt is cool, because you can have fun in it all year. You cant drive a lotus to the company xmas party. It's not the fastest car ever, but it holds its own. With $1k in mods the tt can easly beat 350z's. The 00-06 models are better for modding. The 07+ models are limited mod wise, because you cant get awd and turbo together (either v6 awd or turbo fwd). But are you going to mod a brand new car?

As for the lotus, it doesen't really have any advance technology, simply looks cool. Keep in mind that the lotus is very small, actually THE smallest car on the road.

IMO I would go with either the 00-06 tt or lotus. If you get the lotus, make sure to get an orange one.

Flicktitty
02-03-2008, 01:35 PM
AWESOME EVALUATION!!
i do have a kid and plan on having another one, but that is not really an issue. I do not plan on putting a car seat in the mustang EVER, and the same would go for the new car. I would not be driving it in the winter either, so that is again, not an option. either way, by what you said the mazda is pretty much out. i like how they look, and i like the platform, but this isn;t the first time i have heard bad things.

keep the opinions coming!

Welll hearing that i will change my opinion to the Lotus.

No need for AWD in the winter if you weren't gonna drive it in the winter anyway. And since you don't mind not having more people in the car then Go for this! Just a thought did you ever think of the Lotus Esprit TT?
http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/12/20/236/160/3657396969.236160933.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

I NEVER knew how expensive those Exige's are 50-70K EEEEK

nismodave
02-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Lotus.....

lordairgtar
02-03-2008, 01:59 PM
I voted for the Lotus as well. Technology isn't everything. Ever since I saw one driving onto I-43 at Racine Ave, I was smitten! It was yellow. The Elise is nice too, if you like soft tops, but it's kind of a chick name for a car....like Miata!

88Nightmare
02-03-2008, 02:11 PM
the sound of those lotus's are effin sweet. I love the esprit too, classic but sweet just the same

BoosTT
02-03-2008, 02:29 PM
just a thought... used cadillac xlr's are a great deal....

07ROUSHSTG3
02-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I voted for the Lotus as well. Technology isn't everything. Ever since I saw one driving onto I-43 at Racine Ave, I was smitten! It was yellow. The Elise is nice too, if you like soft tops, but it's kind of a chick name for a car....like Miata!

the more i look at the elise, i like the idea of being able to take the top off, and i could always buy a turbo or blower for it later.:thumbsup

BoosTT
02-03-2008, 03:44 PM
You can get a hardtop for the elise.

Beagle
02-03-2008, 03:54 PM
lotus ftw!!!

udlose98
02-03-2008, 04:00 PM
No TT
No 8

Exige would be sick!!!!

Breecher_7
02-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Lotus, if the cash is there. Do it........

Jsho13
02-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Lotus's are nice but very small. If you are a big guy it might be too tight in there for comfort. Before my Dad picked up the viper, we looked at a Lotus and decided that it wasn't the right car at the time. If you don't mind, then go that route. It's more of an exotic car than the others you listed.

Brandon W.
02-03-2008, 09:40 PM
as a DSM guy..i gotta vote EVO..

CobraSnake
02-04-2008, 09:38 AM
I've changed my mind. If you have the money get this

2009 Audi R8
http://www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/124689_aud1.jpg

Todd Z
02-04-2008, 10:13 AM
My choice is the Lotus but a RX8 did win the GT class in The 24 hours at Daytona this year. Speed source also did real well at the end of last year and is the favorite to win this year.

Todd Z
02-04-2008, 10:15 AM
I would like to see the average age of those picking the Evo vs. Lotus.

Evo = 25 and Under, Lotus 26 and over, Just a guess.

Cryptic
02-04-2008, 10:40 AM
I'd shop for an uber clean/built RX7 before even considering an RX8..

6forwardgears
02-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Out of those choices I'd have to take the Evo X. I like the Exige's track capabilities, but it's extremely ugly, IMO. The Evo isn't too much better in that regard, but it's still better.

The Audi TT is alright but again I don't like the way it looks, and the engine options aren't that great.

The RX8 is just too underpowered.

Jsho13
02-04-2008, 10:54 AM
I would like to see the average age of those picking the Evo vs. Lotus.

Evo = 25 and Under, Lotus 26 and over, Just a guess.

21 here - Lotus no question about it.

Want_Notch
02-04-2008, 11:02 AM
The lotus extige............and then I will be you friend if I can drive it.

Heat Seeker WS6
02-04-2008, 11:05 AM
The Lotus- because your not going to see groups of them in parking lots or in your neighbor's driveway :thumbsup

Junky Giorgio
02-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Audi R8....mmmmmmmmmmm

jbiscuit
02-04-2008, 11:19 AM
that new Audi R8 is pure sex!

Nix
02-04-2008, 12:10 PM
lotus ='s batmobile. :headbang

Slow Joe
02-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Audi TT OR

Porsche 993 Twin Turbo (NOT 996!!)

http://www.fahrcar.com/porsche-993tt.jpg

The reason I say 993 is because they're a better value, and don't break as often... :thumbsup

Edit: My reason behind my idea....

The EVO is too boy racer.

Where's your closest Lotus Dealership for parts? Plus who works on 'em around here and is good at it??

The Audi can be worked on here, and there are many good mechanics...

The RX8... Yeah, I brought up that car this past spring, then realized why I didn't want one...

And the reason I brought up the 993... They're amazing cars to drive, tons of fun, and I know of some extremely good 911/993/996/997 Mechanics in the area... Plus as far as mods, there are tons of things you can do...

PureSound15
02-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Where's your closest Lotus Dealership for parts? Plus who works on 'em around here and is good at it?? ...

There is a dealership on Capitol that works on Lotus cars, the owner has one too, I believe.

I'm 98% sure it's a chevy/pontiac dealership. I used to go there all the time when I was with Stay Tuned.

Slow Joe
02-04-2008, 12:36 PM
There is a dealership on Capitol that works on Lotus cars, the owner has one too, I believe.

I'm 98% sure it's a chevy/pontiac dealership. I used to go there all the time when I was with Stay Tuned.

Reina? Which is actually an independant dealership... Forgot about them :durr

Flicktitty
02-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Reina? Which is actually an independant dealership... Forgot about them :durr

Reina has used ones, there is a dealership that had quite a few of them. I forgot where about on Capitol but i think its down in Brookfeild? maybe?

Err... N/M http://www.lotuscars.com/Dealers.aspx

Slow Joe
02-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Reina has used ones, there is a dealership that had quite a few of them. I forgot where about on Capitol but i think its down in Brookfeild? maybe?

Well, on Capitol in Brookfield you have...

Reina
Crest
Brookfield Pontiac GMC
Soerens Ford
Jack Safro Toyota
Brookside (Now Closed)
Select Leasing

And I can't think of any others...

Flicktitty
02-04-2008, 05:54 PM
/\ Yeah i edited my post. I remeber this summer i saw a top endish car dealership on the northside but it wasent Reina i'll have to think of it.

Slow Joe
02-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Where at about on the north side? I can probably name a good number of dealerships in the area...

udlose98
02-04-2008, 06:48 PM
this thread has caused me to consider selling my Cobra and picking up an Elise.

Slow Joe
02-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Hrmm they aren't that expensive either... Interesting...

For some reason I thought they were way more expensive...

udlose98
02-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Hrmm they aren't that expensive either... Interesting...

For some reason I thought they were way more expensive...

my thoughts exactly, just a new direction, would be a fun car, almost as fast.

TURTLE
02-05-2008, 12:41 AM
elise or extige? there's a HUGE difference... some of you are saying one or the other...

extige s would be my choice if you had cash in hand NOW... they're only importing like 200 or something... 245hp supercharged 1800lb ROCKET!... plus with the "S" package, you get bilstein coilover shocks, an LSD, and the revised tire/wheel combo(light 16 front/17 rear wheels with uber-sticky yoko advan a048 rubber)... have a customer at work who just picked one up in red... ftmfsdw! only disadvantage to it being a fun car is that the hardtop, i believe, isn't removable on the extige models.... but it'd be something to look into...

and if you're looking at regular elises, the track package is the box you want to check... almost as many go-kart goodies as the extige, without the blower...

udlose98
02-05-2008, 02:40 AM
I am talking Elise, cant afford and Exige.

None the less, I still think the Elise is one hell of a car, I actaually emailed a seller tonight, so we'll see.

07ROUSHSTG3
02-05-2008, 07:56 PM
I am talking Elise, cant afford and Exige.

None the less, I still think the Elise is one hell of a car, I actaually emailed a seller tonight, so we'll see.

let me know if you snag one. we could start the BCM Lotus Owners Group!

Poncho
02-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Lotus all day long.

Slow Joe
02-05-2008, 09:30 PM
I was talking Exige... :rolf

udlose98
02-05-2008, 09:53 PM
let me know if you snag one. we could start the BCM Lotus Owners Group!

you gonna be buying a Lotus then?

Guteman
02-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Something that is within your price range that handles even better than the lotus and is a very different car would DEFINITELY be the Ariel Atom. Its got the K series motor (seen in the RSX Type S) WITH a supercharger. The car is built for racing.

http://www.alkon.com.ar/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/black-ariel-atom-r34.jpg

BoosTT
02-06-2008, 11:44 AM
You need to wear a helmet when driving it tho. Kinda looses the car feeling for me.

flyin_blue_egg
02-06-2008, 02:27 PM
i voted evo....for a few reasons though....1) they look sick!!! 2) days like today (no way that lotus would even make it outta the garage, atleast by me) 3) the audi TT may have AWD but even with the changes they made to it this year it still looks like shit and 4) the evo has more power then the mazda

07ROUSHSTG3
02-06-2008, 05:44 PM
you gonna be buying a Lotus then?

well, right now i am leaning that way. the evo still is in contention, but the looks of the lotus, and the fact that i will rarely see another one on the road around me has me pretty much convinced. i am in no hurry and will definetly take a close look at both cars, but right now i can pretty safely say that my next toy will be a Lotus. Elise or Exige is the only real question. i like the elise for the fact that it would be cool on a nice day to take the top off. the exige has more power, but i can always add to the elise.

decisions.....decisions....decisions :D

udlose98
02-06-2008, 07:23 PM
hurry up and get a Lotus!!!

I just signed up on Lotustalk and have already been talking with a few sellers, I think this may happen.