PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Nissan GTR? Think again.....

subliminal1284
02-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Innovation Is Alive and Well
The innovation that aftermarket companies around the world display is legendary, and the in-house innovative power displayed by some TAS exhibitors showed that the bar has been raised higher this year, particularly when it comes to products that have become highly computerized. Aftermarket companies in Japan had heard dire predictions from inside Nissan that the GT-R would be impossible to modify, so they were prepared for the worst.

A Japanese journalist reportedly had the following experience when test driving a pre-release model of the GT-R. As he approached the main entry gate of Suzuka International Circuit, the car’s GPS-equipped computer warned him in a pleasant voice that once he entered the circuit, the car’s warranty would be voided.

The navigation screen then gave him an "Accept" screen, requiring him to push "Accept" to get rid of the voice. After a couple more times, the voice issued a final warning that the vehicle was recording his driving habits and any damage done to the vehicle at the circuit would not be covered under the new-car warranty at a Nissan dealership.
This story seemed to confirm all the fears that the Japanese aftermarket had about the GT-R being a very difficult vehicle to modify. Once it was in the hands of the 10 or so companies that showed their vehicles at the Tokyo Auto Salon, however, the car proved to be less sensitive to simple modifications than recent Toyota and Lexus releases, for example.

For a start, the vehicle will let you add aftermarket wheels and tires without any problems. Some recent Toyota and Lexus models will not even let you do tire rotation without the entire dash turning red as a "danger warning" when you turn on the ignition. It reportedly costs about $200 USD and a trip to the nearest Toyota dealer to get the dash back to normal again.

Luckily, it seems that the new GT-R is a little easier to customize. Most of the GT-Rs at TAS had aftermarket wheels and tires, but not much else. It will be a while before the degree of accessibility of the vehicle is known. It has only just come out, so even the big players in the market like HKS, BLITZ, Endless and Trust have not had time to develop products for the car.

One indication of how aftermarket innovation has surprised even the automakers was a NISMO (Nissan Motorsports) staffer who commented that he was already amazed at some of the work done by the aftermarket companies on the just-released GT-R, in particular the work performed by HKS engineers on the display GT-R in the HKS booth. Next year the same gentleman will probably see 10 other companies he will be surprised at

Who would want one....not me...

Cryptic
02-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

lordairgtar
02-03-2008, 12:01 PM
I hate cars that tell me what I can and cannot do. Reminds me of 2001: A Space Oddity.

70challenger452
02-03-2008, 12:12 PM
I'll stick to playing around with older vehicles, I also heard that the turbo is part of the engine block, making it extreamly difficult to put a bigger turbo on

H8RADE
02-03-2008, 12:33 PM
I'll stick to playing around with older vehicles, I also heard that the turbo is part of the engine block, making it extreamly difficult to put a bigger turbo on

Negative.
The turbos are integral to the exhaust manifolds.
Still...no joy for modders...
:rolf

pickardracing
02-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Gay .

Flicktitty
02-03-2008, 12:57 PM
simple fix. Standalone computer. Once somone starts playing with the electronics of that car they will find ways around it. Or they will try and disable the GPS from working.

I know there was a few companies at TAS that had exhaust and what not on the New GT-R's

88Nightmare
02-03-2008, 01:56 PM
whats the big deal anyway, its just a nissan :confused

H8RADE
02-03-2008, 01:59 PM
simple fix. Standalone computer.

Send your resume in to HKS and prepare to be a millionaire.
I am sure all of the engineers and aftermarket geniuses in Japan have nothing on you.
:rolleyes:

HITMAN
02-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Send your resume in to HKS and prepare to be a millionaire.
I am sure all of the engineers and aftermarket geniuses in Japan have nothing on you.
:rolleyes:

GTSLOW
02-03-2008, 09:23 PM
^^^^^^ :rolf

CannotPost
02-04-2008, 02:25 PM
simple fix. Standalone computer. Once somone starts playing with the electronics of that car they will find ways around it. Or they will try and disable the GPS from working.

I know there was a few companies at TAS that had exhaust and what not on the New GT-R's

Right, then loose all the cool functions that the OEM computer provides??? Without all the "Neat-o" tech in the GT-R it's cool factor goes down 1/2 imo.

True you will always be able to modify, but this car is gonna cost big $$$$ all-around. I think id rather have a Vette :/

Flight_740
02-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Be real guys. Why should a warranty company cover a car being driven like that? Would you warranty it with your money?

I don't blame them.

STANMAN
02-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Negative.
The turbos are integral to the exhaust manifolds.
Still...no joy for modders...

Same thing with the new SRT-4's. The Neon based SRT the turbo was stand-alone, the Caliber SRT, it's integrated. BOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Cryptic
02-04-2008, 04:39 PM
if you know what your doing you shouldn't need your factory warranty anyway right ;)

Slow Joe
02-04-2008, 06:17 PM
I'll pass... Then again, I never wanted one anyways :rolf

xxsn0blindxx
02-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Proof of credible source or this is just another propaganda story.

fly5150
02-05-2008, 07:49 PM
For owning one I thought you would get this right. The Neon SRT-4 also had the integral turbo-manifold.

Same thing with the new SRT-4's. The Neon based SRT the turbo was stand-alone, the Caliber SRT, it's integrated. BOOOOOO!!!!!!!!