PDA

View Full Version : I'm a video game newb

michelle
02-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Anyways, I have a bunch of offers on my Wii, so that's easily going to be gone within the week once I get back to Whitewater, but anyways, I would prefer a 360, so what should I look for? Memory size? Upgrades? I'm completely naive when it comes to video games, so I rather not spend more then I should on a system that isn't worth the money that someone wants.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

theavenger333
02-02-2008, 11:16 PM
you get options of the
Arcade
Pro
Elite

Arcade has very little memory, 256 mb and comes with wireless controller, and regular A/V cables. the Pro has 512mb, comes with the wireless controller, headset for xbox live, Component Cable, a few others. the Elite is exactly that, its got a huge hard drive 120GB, and has a facelift in black color. comes with the same stuff as Pro, but comes with HD cable instead. prices are 279, Pro is 349, Elite is a pretty 450.. they all come with a free trial for Xbox Live.

there are a bunch of offshoots, the Halo3 edition, etc. they're wastes of money. there's a Holiday bundle offered around some places, the Pro with 2 free games. good luck overall, ALL best buy's are sold out of everything but the Arcade till mid february, same with Gamestops, and EB games. i got the very last Pro from Target a few days ago.

05caddyext
02-03-2008, 01:34 AM
I would prefer a 360, so what should I look for?

Any reason why this is?

The ps3 is far superior for several reasons.

FREE online gaming, no fees. X-Box live is not free.

Built in Blu-Ray player (high def) X-Box notta.

1080p support on some games. X-Box 720p

Right now with certain packages, as cheap as $399 you get your choice of 5 FREE blu-ray movies. I know its not a gimmick because mine just arrived in the mail last week. They are up to $30 each in a store. Some packages also come with either a movie or a game right in the box.

Not sure if X-Box has it, but the PS3 is also a bluetooth wireless device. So if you have a wireless router in your home/apt, you don't need a hardwire connection for the PS3 to connect to the internet. The X-Box version of this I believe costs $99.

Only advantage I see right now of the X-Box is that there are ALOT more games out for that console simply because it was out a year before the PS3. But when you look around, all the huge game names with the exception of a few like Halo, are made for both consoles. COD4, Grand Theft Auto IV, Need for Speed Pro Street, etc, are all available for both consoles.

You said you live in Whitewater, I would be more than happy to show you the PS3 sometime, I live there as well. I have several games, and several demos. I have a 36" tube tv only and it looks amazing, can only imagine on a flat panel HD-TV. I am 100% happy with my PS3 though, I considered the X-Box for about 3 seconds when making my purchase.

wikked
02-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Why do you want a 360 over a Wii?

michelle
02-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Better games that I would enjoy and actually play. Able to play online. I know Nintendo always talks about it and I think a few games actually are capable of being played online, but not the ones I would enjoy.

HAMRHEAD
02-03-2008, 09:39 PM
I would go with a PS3 mainly because it is a Blu-ray player as well and blu-ray won the HD war recently. Xbox cannot play Blu-ray discs. That and playing COD4 in 1080i on a flat panel is great!!!

Want_Notch
02-04-2008, 06:42 AM
360 has 1080i.

Get the 360 its a more common platform, more people have it.

Oh and don't get the arcade, get the pro or the elite.

wikked
02-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Get them both.

HAMRHEAD
02-04-2008, 12:32 PM
360 is more common because it came out sooner but it still isn't a blu ray player and when all HD formats convert to bluray it won't be able to play them.

STANMAN
02-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Get the pro. You'll never need the elites 40GB. Try to find the holiday bundle, or you'll have to buy Forza 2 seperatly. Then get COD4. Those are really the 2 main games everyone plays online. While you're purchasing the system, get the Xbox live membership card, and a 1600 point card, you'll need the points to download the 2 car expansion packs (you get the new Challenger in one of them!) and to download Road America for Forza. Can't wait to shoot you right in the face with the shotty in COD4! Sorry, that's my gamer side talking.

Karps TA
02-04-2008, 02:11 PM
360 is more common because it came out sooner but it still isn't a blu ray player and when all HD formats convert to bluray it won't be able to play them.

You'll just be able to download the movie in HD from Xbox live.

Blu Ray is just going to be a temporary format anyways. It's not that big of a selling point IMO.

michelle
02-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Get the pro. You'll never need the elites 40GB. Try to find the holiday bundle, or you'll have to buy Forza 2 seperatly. Then get COD4. Those are really the 2 main games everyone plays online. While you're purchasing the system, get the Xbox live membership card, and a 1600 point card, you'll need the points to download the 2 car expansion packs (you get the new Challenger in one of them!) and to download Road America for Forza. Can't wait to shoot you right in the face with the shotty in COD4! Sorry, that's my gamer side talking.

Is "pro" the same as "premium"?

And do they make cute covers for the X-box, so that I can have a pink one instead of white? (:

I know they make these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pink-Silicone-Skin-Case-Cover-for-Xbox-360-Controller_W0QQitemZ310019654426QQihZ021QQcategory Z122517QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wait, you better not shoot me! I've never shot a gun, so you have way too much of an advantage on me.

Want_Notch
02-04-2008, 02:27 PM
The premium is the same thing. Oh don't forget Gears of War too.

THe player isn't a big sell point, I'd rather get a stand-alone player anyways.

OH and you can get pink controllers at Best Buy

Karps TA
02-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Devil May Cry 4 comes out tomorrow. The demo rocks. Loved the first ones on the PS2.

Nix
02-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Get them both.

Exactly.:banana1:

Josepy
02-04-2008, 03:54 PM
My brother has the 360, ps3 and wii. He plays the 360 almost all the time and the other 2 sit. 360 for the win. Heck I have one and I loved my PS2

05caddyext
02-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Blu Ray is just going to be a temporary format anyways. It's not that big of a selling point IMO.

What makes you think this? Blu-Ray has won the HD format war. Why would it be temporary?

wikked
02-04-2008, 04:07 PM
You'll just be able to download the movie in HD from Xbox live.

No one is gonna do that with that tiny hard-drive :P

STANMAN
02-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Is "pro" the same as "premium"?

And do they make cute covers for the X-box, so that I can have a pink one instead of white? (:

I know they make these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pink-Silicone-Skin-Case-Cover-for-Xbox-360-Controller_W0QQitemZ310019654426QQihZ021QQcategory Z122517QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wait, you better not shoot me! I've never shot a gun, so you have way too much of an advantage on me.

The "pro" is the 20GB hard drive, the "Elite" is the 40, the pro comes in a white box, the elite in a black. Stay away from the "arcade" in the green box.

And we will get you out shooting soon, when the weather warms up a little. Generally newcomers to guns are already very nervous and uncomfortable, so I don't like taking them in winter, when it's already uncomfortable because of the cold.

Yooformula
02-04-2008, 05:28 PM
IMO, if you can afford both, go for it. I like most of the game son the 360 but there are some games on the PS3 that rock and cant be had on the 360, the Blu Ray is a very nice benefit. The online capabilities mean squat to me as I have a pc for that and the small fee for the year is forgotten a day after you pay so thats not a big deal.

885.0stang
02-04-2008, 06:26 PM
The "pro" is the 20GB hard drive, the "Elite" is the 40, the pro comes in a white box, the elite in a black. Stay away from the "arcade" in the green box.

whats so bad about the arcade version. i have one and its fine.

STANMAN
02-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Not enough memory I guess. I have never had one, can you get online with it?

885.0stang
02-04-2008, 07:41 PM
dont play online yet but yes it can. also ive been told you can us a external hard drive (computer type) as a memory source

michelle
02-05-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm looking at a used one tonight for super cheap, but I went to the Wal-mart in Whitewater and they had two premium x-box 360's and two Wii's in stock. I picked up one of the 360's just in case the one tonight doesn't work out. Just an FYI if anybody is looking for either kind.