PDA

View Full Version : junkyard hunting

PB86MCSS
09-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Anyone know of good yards in the area that generally have a decent selection of g-body cars? I go to Al's in Franklin and they do have a bunch, but seems to be dwindling...not as much coming in and usually nothing special. Last *special* one was a loaded 87' Cutlass Salon last fall that I remember

Today I hit up Al's(in the rain :rolleyes: ) just because I had time to kill for the afternoon and to see if anything new came in...they did get a Monte LS in dated 9-5 which is the first new one Ive seen in there for a long long time. Of course the motor/doors and dash were taken...and I wanted the dash if it was nice as a spare, argh! Tailight lenses also gone(am looking for good spares here too), but I did nab a bunch of LS trim items and chrome body stuff, some peices were really good, plus wiper arms.

The trunklid is virtually rust free, if anyone needs one or knows someone get there quick....inside lips were clean, only spot of rust was an inch of surface rust on a lower edge. If I had lots of extra cash Id be tempted to get it as a spare too :Hump .

Looking for new picking grounds...with pick-a-part status and good pricing.

Burgandy85SS
09-12-2003, 07:14 PM
Where in the yard is this Monte at? I am planning on going to Als Saturday to look for some stuff and I might as well take a look at it.

PB86MCSS
09-12-2003, 07:24 PM
It was located in front of the office where the newer cars are, since they just got it a week ago apparently. Not by the road in front but where lots of them get dismantled before going to the yard.

Still upset about missing out on the dash/lenses :fire . Ask them if they kept the dash :D. I go about every 2 weeks for that reason, not to miss any parts that come in, and look what happens :bsflag .

Rocket Power
09-12-2003, 08:59 PM
Al's is the only one around here I go to. Last time I was up in Fredonia they had a some G-bodies but it's been a few years.:(

Burgandy85SS
09-12-2003, 11:37 PM
I will ask them for you. I usually try to make it there at least once a month to see if they got anything new.

PB86MCSS
09-13-2003, 08:50 PM
I was visiting/helping a friend swap trannies in his Monte today and we hit up a rather large yard up by his way, near Chilton(north of Fon Du Lac but south of Appleton, east side of Lake Winnebago). Had about 10-15 3rd gen. Montes, a good 15 Grand Prix's, many many g-body Bonnevilles, Cutlass(10 or so?), and only a few 4th gen Montes including a half burnt t-top SS....a few Regals as well. One of the Cutlass' was a 86' 442...rear end gone :(. Still had the power burgandy bucket seats, nice shape. Motor itself also there, no other specific 442 items though, that I know of.

Rocket Power
09-14-2003, 11:09 AM
Ooooo,I may have to take a ride up there. Otherwise mmy wife may steal the power buckets from mine:stare

Any idea about prices? As in is the yard generaly low, average, or HOLY CRAP THIS STUFF AIN"T MADE OF GOLD:goof

PB86MCSS
09-14-2003, 12:46 PM
They seem to be pretty fair. We asked if they kept the 442's rear out since they had a big stash of rearends, but they said probably not, and we didnt spot a 8.5". There was a supposed 3.23 87' Cutlass rear as was written on one of them(didnt think any g-bodies got 3.23's).

He bought a Cutlass upper shroud(same style you gave me ;) ) for his own electric fan upgrade, and we each bought one peice of gray interior trim...there was a gray guts GP with a near mint interior, although bench seated.

Burgandy85SS
09-14-2003, 05:02 PM
Whats the name of this yard? Is it worth the drive up there to take a walk through? Is this a U pull sort of place?

PB86MCSS
09-14-2003, 05:25 PM
The name is Tisler's. Its hard to say if its worth a drive up there for someone...depends on what you need/want or how bored you are and willing to drive ;)....for someone with a GP it is, or maybe a Cutlass too. Its a big yard, and they dont stack cars on each other either which is nice too. It is a pick a part in which you walk around....lots of room to cover! They organize the GM's by Chevies together then BOP's together from what I saw.

Not too much for Monte picken's, a blue console from a SC was there, and the SS had some nice black moldings yet.

Rocket Power
09-14-2003, 06:58 PM
I've driven to Waupan just to go to a JY :D

PB86MCSS
09-14-2003, 09:38 PM
Theres a couple more in the area I was in that I want to hit up with good selection from what it sounds like. My friend got an aluminum radiator support from a 78-80 Regal in one for cheap this summer...some of you may know how rare those are.

Burgandy85SS
09-14-2003, 10:04 PM
How did the right rear quarter look on the SS especially right above the rear wheel.

PB86MCSS
09-14-2003, 11:04 PM
I dont recall. The car had a good bit of bondo on the lower rear quarter drivers side I remember seeing, and not a good bondo job at that :rolleyes: . So I dont think its worth much for sheetmetal...not sure on the other Montes either, they had their share of rust too overall.

Burgandy85SS
09-28-2003, 01:26 AM
Any chance I could get directions to Tislers or a phone # so I can get there hours.

TransAm12sec
11-16-2003, 06:14 PM
Does anyone know Als phone # and address?

PB86MCSS
11-16-2003, 06:21 PM
Phone # is 425-1890. Located off hwy 45 south of 36 on the same stretch as 2 other yards and next to a huge garbage dump. They just got in another TBI serpentine belt Camaro, and get f-bodies frequently.