PDA

View Full Version : wieght difference between iron/aluminum

sloLs1
01-31-2008, 08:22 PM
i was wondering if anyone knew how much of a wieght difference there is between an all iron block/heads gen1 350 and a all aluminum block/heads 350??? just seeing if its worth it....

Prince Valiant
01-31-2008, 08:55 PM
Not very sure...but I think it'd be approx 1/2 for the block/heads...not that the whole engine would wiegh half though.

IIRC the heads halve the weight of iron heads. So just going to AL heads brings the weight down about 45 lbs.

Going to an AL block probably brings the weight another 80lbs or so. All told, you are looking at roughly 125, maybe 150lbs less on the front end.

sloLs1
01-31-2008, 09:09 PM
Not very sure...but I think it'd be approx 1/2 for the block/heads...not that the whole engine would wiegh half though.

IIRC the heads halve the weight of iron heads. So just going to AL heads brings the weight down about 45 lbs.

Going to an AL block probably brings the weight another 80lbs or so. All told, you are looking at roughly 125, maybe 150lbs less on the front end.

i new the heads were good for about 40-50lbs... i just wasnt sure about the block... i would really like to lose that wieght seeings that its all over the front end of my car.

then that would be like me not even being in the car, because i only weight 150lbs :)

UnderPSI
01-31-2008, 09:48 PM
All I know for sure is that one pound of Aluminum weighs the same as one pound of iron. I hope that helps.

sloLs1
01-31-2008, 10:14 PM
All I know for sure is that one pound of Aluminum weighs the same as one pound of iron. I hope that helps.

:rolf im not blonde

HY35F2T
02-01-2008, 03:14 PM

lmfao :durr

97z2801ss
02-01-2008, 05:45 PM

bwahaha :rolf:rolf:rolf:thumbsup

UnderPSI
02-02-2008, 05:49 PM
I don't take responsibility for that post. I just saw it now. I was drugged up (pain pills from knee surger a little while ago). I didn't even know I posted that. I wasn't trying to be an ass or anything. Sorry dude.

TransAm12sec
02-02-2008, 07:55 PM
"Aluminum heads have the advantage of conducting heat better than iron heads. Therefore, an engine equipped with them can run a slightly higher compression ration without detonation, but they do not add horsepower per se.
Many people tout the weigh advantage of aluminum heads. At only 20 lbs each, they weigh less than half as much as cast-iron heads, but we're talking about savings of only about 22 lbs altogether. Unless you're putting your engine in a light, purpose-built race car, that doesn't mean much."

http://books.google.com/books?id=JK_qPHubTkEC&pg=PA33&lpg=PA33&dq=weight+of+aluminum+heads+vs+iron&source=web&ots=QNj0N0xuA-&sig=roZLL51rfRx5OVHNrfb5Kl1RZy4

I consider 44 lbs a decent amount for a street car, but that's a different opinion compared to the author.

One more thing to consider is aluminum and iron expand at different rates, so an iron block with aluminum heads is less likely to seal well compared to iron/iron or aluminum/aluminum block and heads. I don't know of it being an issue with sbcs, but my bosses 3 series probably had that issue.

I don't take responsibility for that post. I just saw it now. I was drugged up (pain pills from knee surger a little while ago). I didn't even know I posted that. I wasn't trying to be an ass or anything. Sorry dude.

lol, you better check your cell phone log.