PDA

View Full Version : Any one have any hooks ups on auto repair?

lasttimearound
01-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Alright, im truly lost. I took it apart, twice, cant find it. I have this terrible rattle/spring loaded reverberation while going over small bumps in the drivers side front. I first thought it was the lower strut bolt (have seen it before on friends trucks) it wasnt. Checked the ball joints, but it doesnt squeak, all the boots are intact and they all checked out good. I Played with the shafts, no play. The tie rod link is in intact and solid. I drove it through a parking garage today to see if i could hear it from the outside, and i can, plus, i can hear a metallic rattle, sounds like a loose washer but i cant find any loose hardware anywhere. checked the torque on all the bolts and nuts and everything was good. anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking im going to have to take it in since im lost. im hoping its something obvious im missing. thanks guys

Adam

lasttimearound
01-29-2008, 02:22 PM
oh yeah, its a 2002 dodge ram qcsb 4x4

84hurst
01-29-2008, 02:29 PM
I Played with the shafts

Spend less time doing this and more time looking at the problem at hand... :goof

lasttimearound
01-29-2008, 02:31 PM
eh, its just what i do when i dont know what else to do...

juicedimpss
01-29-2008, 02:31 PM
caliper bushings?

lasttimearound
01-29-2008, 02:36 PM
i was thinking about bushings, just looked at they are all intact not torn.

lasttimearound
01-29-2008, 04:26 PM
alright, i may have found something... i took the drivers side strut out again, and tried threading the bolt in without the strut. i found a lot of play in the hole that it threads into on the lower control arm. i ran out of time to see if there is the same play on the passenger side, however, if there is play in strut mount bolt, that may account for the rattling/reverberation that im hearing/feeling kind of. i may try to timesert the hole and see if that helps.

Russ Jerome
01-29-2008, 06:23 PM
caliper bushings?

Yup^^^ does it go away during braking?

Does it do it in reverse?

During turns?

When the weight is on the front end or as it rebounds?

When the radio is up loud? If not keep it up (trained ASE
response is mandatory).

twirkin50
01-29-2008, 06:35 PM
I heard ISO Dock guys were supposed to be elite Auto Mechanics? What would Bill and Matt think????

lasttimearound
01-29-2008, 11:16 PM
happens in turns, still happens during braking. i dont really notice it as much during accelaration when weight transfer is to the rear.

and Dave, Matt was impressed with how well i got it put back together a couple weeks ago. im still young, i get a slip up every now and again. (i hope). besides, im not an air tech... yet (i hope), so as just a guardsman they dont expect as much.

CobraSnake
01-30-2008, 09:14 AM
I had a weird rattle on my 04 directly after we did the brakes. I found out that I needed just a little extra piece in the hardware for the brakes themselves that the brakes didn't come with. That could be your problem.

Mark

subliminal1284
01-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Check your swaybar endlinks

madmike
01-30-2008, 03:24 PM
I hate to ask, sounds like a dumb question, its overlooked all the time, but does it have some type of hub cap or center cap on the wheel? I own a shop and find them loose making noise all the time. And the cars/trucks I find this problem have all been to 2 or 3 other shops shaking down the suspension and brakes over and over but overlooking the simple things...

Next wheel bearings?

lasttimearound
01-30-2008, 04:37 PM
i thought the wheel center center caps early on, however it progessively got worse. and i can now feel it in my feet through the floor boards. i hate to take it in since im a poor college kid, but i might have to. ill check the end links again tomorrow (a friend suggested a slight tap with a rubber mallet.