PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get cheaper College books?

Flicktitty
01-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Asking for my girlfriend she only needs 2 more books but she is kind of a jam fixing her cars right now, so i was wondering if there was any websites that have them cheaper then her school or if anyone has any older books that they want to get rid of maybe it's one she will need.

michelle
01-29-2008, 01:02 PM
What books does she need?

Facebook has a marketplace that you can find books on or sell your own, half.com, amazon, and craigslist all work well to find cheaper textbooks.

Flicktitty
01-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Intermediate Algebra 8th edition by gustafson, frisk i'll ask her again what the other one is.

PureSound15
01-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Books at the campus bookstore for my classes this semester would have been $933

Amazon.com - $720 :thumbsup

sacstoy02gt
01-29-2008, 01:47 PM
my wife always used http://campusi.com/ for searching when she needed books. Still use it to find really good deals on other books as well.

VroomPshhTsi
01-29-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm at the point where I only buy half the books I need cuz teachers usually cover most the material in lecture anyway... but yeah I'd say facebook marketplace, maybe craigslist, and there's always amazon

05caddyext
01-29-2008, 02:57 PM
halfpricebooks.com

Flicktitty
01-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks guys, Does anyone know of a site you can download the files from?

Deggy
01-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Why don't you just have Liz sign up Flicky? You ask questions for her all the time...lol

formul8
01-29-2008, 05:04 PM
I have had good luck with textbooksrus.com

I always wait until I get the syllabus because they don't always use all the books listed at the book store.

Junky Giorgio
01-29-2008, 06:20 PM
panther bookstore on Downer & kenwood jigga!

Flicktitty
01-29-2008, 06:24 PM
here is the books she needs if anyone knows of a way to download books.
- intermediate algebra 8th Edition / Gustofson, friska
- The Allyn and bacon guide to writing 4th edition
- worlds greatest short stories. ed candace ward
- 75 Arguements ainsworth

Thanks Tony, and everyone else.

Flicktitty
01-29-2008, 06:57 PM
hi deggy its lizz. i don't wanna make my own name, cuz then that puts nick to work for me :)

ps lets go bowling sometime, make nick come.

Deggy
01-29-2008, 07:15 PM
hi deggy its lizz. i don't wanna make my own name, cuz then that puts nick to work for me :)

ps lets go bowling sometime, make nick come.

you just made a name retard

zerepdivad
01-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Why don't you just have Liz sign up Flicky? You ask questions for her all the time...lol

A female using a computer? That's satan worshipping witch talk! :banana1::banana1::fire:devil

USMARINE1108
01-29-2008, 07:44 PM
half.com has worked well for me.

Flicktitty
01-29-2008, 08:55 PM
she ordered 2 books from amazon, still gotta find the other 2 books she needs. Thanks guys.

LIZMO
01-29-2008, 10:46 PM
you just made a name retard

atleast i don't have to tatoo my name on me so i remember it. :thumbsup

easytoremember
01-29-2008, 11:08 PM
I run sweeney's on the corner of 17th and wisconsin. If anyone has books around your school wouldn't take. come on down, we buy books every day.

pssh, you were only able to save 100 bucks using amazon.com for your books? should of come to see me.

Z28Roxy
01-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Sometimes ebay too. There are even some books that have chinese knock offs for dirt cheap (same book, just reprinted in China so that royalties are not paid).

Also sometimes talk to the professor and see about using the older version of the book...

easytoremember
01-29-2008, 11:39 PM
id say stay away from international editions, india editions, low price editions, chinese reprints etc etc.

here's why

standard new price text in this example is $100 new.

You get the chinese print one on rice paper (seriously its rice paper, same stuff as a bible) for 50. no resale value.

Used book price for this text in a bookstore should be $75... if they know how to run their store, but what makes it fun to operate a bookstore, is most other bookstores can't do it effectively and may be charging 80 for that book, so i charge 75 and look good.

Now my store guarantees to buy back any book used on campus this semester, and if it is used again next semester we pay 50% of THE NEW PRICE. so if your professor says hes using the book again, youll get $50 bucks back for that book you paid $75 for. Even if it isn't being used, we can still buy it, the price will probably be about 15 to 30 depending on national supply and demand. net cost 25 to 60.

So now the end of the semester is here and you got that chinese book you paid 50 for and has no resale value... that is if the seller you bought it from even shipped it to you. (Hopefully he did send you the right book, cause everyone on the internet tells the truth and is trustworthy)

or you sold that book back that you probably won't use again (unless it is in your major then you might) but you just sold that book back and your net cost is NOT that 50 you spent on the chinese book but 25 to 60. it's your call.

Nice thing is too, we have a return policy so if you drop your class, we can help you out, that chinese book.... do you even know who you bought it from?

Z28Roxy
01-30-2008, 12:00 AM
id say stay away from international editions, india editions, low price editions, chinese reprints etc etc.

here's why

standard new price text in this example is $100 new.

You get the chinese print one on rice paper (seriously its rice paper, same stuff as a bible) for 50. no resale value.

Used book price for this text in a bookstore should be $75... if they know how to run their store, but what makes it fun to operate a bookstore, is most other bookstores can't do it effectively and may be charging 80 for that book, so i charge 75 and look good.

Now my store guarantees to buy back any book used on campus this semester, and if it is used again next semester we pay 50% of THE NEW PRICE. so if your professor says hes using the book again, youll get $50 bucks back for that book you paid $75 for. Even if it isn't being used, we can still buy it, the price will probably be about 15 to 30 depending on national supply and demand. net cost 25 to 60.

So now the end of the semester is here and you got that chinese book you paid 50 for and has no resale value... that is if the seller you bought it from even shipped it to you. (Hopefully he did send you the right book, cause everyone on the internet tells the truth and is trustworthy)

or you sold that book back that you probably won't use again (unless it is in your major then you might) but you just sold that book back and your net cost is NOT that 50 you spent on the chinese book but 25 to 60. it's your call.

Nice thing is too, we have a return policy so if you drop your class, we can help you out, that chinese book.... do you even know who you bought it from?

Except I got a book for $10 (Chinese version) where the US version was $80

mixedemotion
01-30-2008, 12:29 AM
craigslist.org

easytoremember
01-30-2008, 08:08 AM
ok run the numbers again. ( is that $10 shipped?)

So you got the book for $10., that's your sunk cost.

if the us version is 80 (Im assuming new because funny thing is if its an $80 used book, students don't complain as much) So that means your school should of been able to have it used for $60.

Buyback time comes, book is being used again, 40 coming back. sunk cost 20.
Personaly I would spend the extra 10 bucks to make sure i have the right book, be able to return it if I need to drop the class, and not have to worry about the online seller actually shipping the book. but that's just my .02

Z28Roxy
01-30-2008, 08:42 AM
ok run the numbers again. ( is that $10 shipped?)

So you got the book for $10., that's your sunk cost.

if the us version is 80 (Im assuming new because funny thing is if its an $80 used book, students don't complain as much) So that means your school should of been able to have it used for $60.

Buyback time comes, book is being used again, 40 coming back. sunk cost 20.
Personaly I would spend the extra 10 bucks to make sure i have the right book, be able to return it if I need to drop the class, and not have to worry about the online seller actually shipping the book. but that's just my .02

$40 buyback for a $60 used book. Yeah right - at least at every college I've gone to. Maybe if I go on Amazon and sell it (which I often do), but then I have to pay their fees and shit too. That's also assuming that the book is going to be reused by most colleges.

Also my $0.02 though, I'm sure others can decide for themselves what is best.

easytoremember
01-30-2008, 09:40 AM
at my store.... yes you can easily get 40 for a book that was 60 used an 80 new, as long as the professor is using it again. many college stores are run poorly, that makes it fun to run mine, students are surprised we can save them money over their store when they buy and sell

Neal Steffek
01-30-2008, 10:51 AM
at my store.... yes you can easily get 40 for a book that was 60 used an 80 new, as long as the professor is using it again. many college stores are run poorly, that makes it fun to run mine, students are surprised we can save them money over their store when they buy and sell

Yes, Sweeneys is awesome for books. You are a fool if you don't go there.

easytoremember
01-30-2008, 11:14 AM
neal dude, I didn't know you were on bcm, i gotta come here more often.

easytoremember
01-30-2008, 11:17 AM
www.sweeneysbooks.com :banana1:

Flicktitty
01-30-2008, 11:31 AM
we might stop in later today and see if we can find what we need.

is there anyone i should ask for?