PDA

View Full Version : Bought a glock

Silver03SRT
01-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Thats right. I bought a glock .40 cal Its barrel can be swapped out for a .357 I do alot of hunting up north where there is the highest population of black bear in the state. You think this thing will do the job if I come across one. I did research and thought this is the best overall gun.

juicedimpss
01-23-2008, 08:48 PM
congrats.
i like my .40 it has been a perfect piece and never had any issues

Rocket Power
01-23-2008, 08:51 PM
If I thought needing to stop a bear was going to be a probability, I would go with a rifle or if it had to be a handgun at least a .44 mag. But I guess a .40 is better than a stick but the barrel won't be long enough for hunting (min. 5.5") so I don't know if the DNR would hassle you during hunting season.

Just my .02

Breecher_7
01-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Its nice that you can swap from .40 to .357 but as far as a polymer gun goes, although I own 2 glocks, i wouldnt currently buy anything but a springfield XD. By far supperior, most police/fed agencies are switching to the springfield as well.

Silver03SRT
01-23-2008, 08:54 PM
6" barrel on this one and it swaps out to a .357 which i was told would put a bear down with a good shot. its also a good personal protection device.

Silver03SRT
01-23-2008, 08:55 PM
yeah i didnt want to spend a fortune on it. It cost 575

Breecher_7
01-23-2008, 08:57 PM
You can get a xd 40 for around $525 on a good day at sportsmans or badger and that is with two high caps and a holster.

Breecher_7
01-23-2008, 08:58 PM
6" barrel on a glock? 5" is the longest ive ever seen on a polymer autoloader, most service models are only 4", the tactical models are 5"....

model #?

Just looked them up, even there tactical model is under 5.5".... Not legal for hunting. 6" is the magic number.

Well built gun that will last a lifetime though, I just personally dont like them.

Silver03SRT
01-23-2008, 09:04 PM
i thought it said in there book 6" maybe that was total length. i dont plan on hunting with it just bringing out incase. what kind of recoil should i expect from this thing?

DirtyMax
01-23-2008, 09:10 PM
I dont think there's a Glock with a long enough barrel to legally hunt with but if you're just using it for protection, I don't think you'll get too much hassle. A warden could press the issue if they really wanted to though.

Breecher_7
01-23-2008, 09:12 PM
i thought it said in there book 6" maybe that was total length. i dont plan on hunting with it just bringing out incase. what kind of recoil should i expect from this thing?

Wont recoil much at all, very easy to control.

Silver03SRT
01-23-2008, 09:12 PM
well it would be better than trying to take a charging bear with my bow. haha.

Silver03SRT
01-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Wont recoil much at all, very easy to control.
i never shot a handgun before. many rifles and shotguns but this is a new one for me. gotta work out the wrist more.

Breecher_7
01-23-2008, 09:16 PM
You will be fine....

DirtyMax
01-23-2008, 09:35 PM
You will be fine....

x2.

It's not a big deal. Otherwise, people wouldn't be emptying a 15 round clip in seconds.

What model did you get? I have some extra .40 clips here for a 22 or a 23 (I'd have to look) that I didn't give away when I sold the gun because they're "LEO only" clips which is what they stamped 15 rounders before 15 round clips were legal for civilian use but now that it's all good, it's more of a nostalgia factor.

Rocket Power
01-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Glock makes a hunting barrel for the 10mm that's 6" as an accessory

DirtyMax
01-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Well there you have it... :D

lordairgtar
01-24-2008, 12:19 AM
I dont think there's a Glock with a long enough barrel to legally hunt with but if you're just using it for protection, I don't think you'll get too much hassle. A warden could press the issue if they really wanted to though.
I think he wants it for additional protection in case he stumbles onto a bear, not for hunting them. Glock is a good choice.

05caddyext
01-24-2008, 02:19 AM
Use it to shoot yourself in the face when you are having a night like im having tonight.

STANMAN
01-24-2008, 03:24 AM
For bear, I would have went with the G21 or G20 (.45 or 10mm). But the .40 isn't so bad, and ammo is way cheaper if you're also going to use it as a plinker.

I just can't bring myself to purchase a XD. I bought one when it was still an HS2000 (made by a different company that Springfield bought out) and paid $250 brand new. Springfield buys them, makes the same gun, and they are $550. I just can't look at them since then.

If you wanted to spend XD type of $$$$ though, do yourself a favor, go the extra $50-$100, and get the HK:thumbsup

Good purchase though, Glocks are the original Combat Tupperware!!!

wrath
01-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Gander Mountain is the cheapest place to pick up pistols and revolvers in Michigan. Don't know about here.

Easiest thing to do is look on budsgunshop.com and then go to Gander Mountain and see how close they'll get.

Taurus makes nice pistols. Their parts are cast most of the time instead of stamped steel (compare the S&W Sigma to the Taurus Millennium Pro). I think their machining is a little nicer also. Factory magazines are a bit on the expensive side compared to a Glock but not as bad as S&W or Springfield.

The XDs are nice. But they cost the same as a Taurus 24/7. A longslide Taurus is a very nice weapon.

The new M&Ps are really nice. I've never gotten to take one down so I can't really compare them other than "ooh, it's pretty".

Glocks are nice. Now that they're done with their manufacturing problems so the rails are staying in the guns. At Glock prices it's hard not to look at Sigs.

.40 SW (my favorite) is like a midget .45ACP. It's proportional in every way. While the .45 moves at around the same speed as a .40 it's got a lot more mass. But you can doublestack a .40 with 10+1 rounds and use your coin holder in your jeans for a holster. For a .45 you're talking 4+1.

10mm is a nice round but it's pretty rare. Pretty much have to reload.

I probably wouldn't hunt a bear with a .40SW in a 4.25" or shorter barrel. You'd probably end up nervous and pinch off three before you knew it. There just isn't enough energy to do any real damage. A 175gr SWC .40 doesn't even leave dust on a piece of 1/4" plate steel at 25 yards. A 240 gr SWC .44mag leaves an impression. I cast and reload both and always find it amazing the difference.

There's no concealed carry in cheeseheadland so it's not like a lot of handguns see dual roles.

pickardracing
01-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Plastic guns FTL.

Shoulda bought Jeremy's revolver.

flyin_blue_egg
01-24-2008, 11:10 AM
You can get a xd 40 for around $525 on a good day at sportsmans or badger and that is with two high caps and a holster.

yes it does...i bought my XD at sportsmans and paid low $500 for it...and i love it

DirtyMax
01-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Shoulda bought Jeremy's revolver.

I wasnt gonna say that but now that you did.... :thumbsup

Legal for hunting and has bling to boot!

73Dustr
01-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Personally, I think .357 is a little light for bear. I agree that I'd go with at least a .44 Mag, but that's just my personal preference. You can take into consideration that you probably aren't going to run into a grizzly here in Wisconsin. As for recoil, it's not bad at all.

nitroxtreme
01-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Glocks , I have had nothing but problems with mine. (used to own three)..Switched to HK and never looked back. Hope you have better luck

STANMAN
01-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Glocks , I have had nothing but problems with mine. (used to own three)..Switched to HK and never looked back. Hope you have better luck

Did you use factory mags or aftermarket? The only problem I have EVER heard of with glocks was the rails on some breaking off (and the guns still worked, even if there was just 1 rail on each side, that glock replaced at no charge to the customer, every single frame in the B series, even if the gun showed no sign of damage or wear) OR aftermarket mags. I think I have over 20 in my collection right now, and have FOR SURE owned more than double that, and I have NEVER had a Glock fail me.

Or any of my HK's either:D

Rocket Power
01-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Hmm I never had a single problem with mine. A G23 in.40. In fact I can't recall hearing of many people have any problems let alone a bunch.

nitroxtreme
01-24-2008, 06:27 PM
I had a 17,22 and a 36. the 17 i had the least problems with and the 36 was the most. Glock replaced the frame and later all the guts on the 36 with no luck.. I had a lot of miss feeds and stove pipes..I tried factory mags, aftermarket.. I tried different ammo. The ammo I had the least problems with were federal hi-shock and my HOT reloads.. So I went to HK and my USPs will shoot anything and anywhere..

vdub4life
01-24-2008, 08:35 PM
it all depends on the size of the bear,hope your a good shot.I carry a 50 cal s&w which is by far more acc. than my 50 cal. desert eagal.:thumbsup

Silver03SRT
01-24-2008, 10:40 PM
I hope I dont encounter one walking in/out of the woods. If I do I figure I can unload a clip in it and hopefully it stops before it gets to me. I should save one just incase it doesnt that way I can use it on me.