PDA

View Full Version : Which dealership to visit...

wrath
01-23-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm looking at buying another GM car. Probably an Aveo, Cobalt, or another G6.

Even though I'm not really in the market for one, the offers are too good to pass up. I got offered the $3,000 GM Top-off earnings which is eligible on almost any vehicle except Saabs and the Astra and select few others. There is currently $1000 GM loyalty cash (need to own a 99up or have a nice dealership that'll pretend that 1989 Pontiac LeMans is really a 99). And the current offers aren't too bad right now. So that's like $5250 off a 2007 Aveo, $6,000 off a 08 G6, et cetera.

The Saturn dealership in Waukesha (Boucher) kind of soured me to Boucher. Between the Boucher Butcher SidDidIt gaystripe, the $200 mudflaps, some ghettoarmor petroleum jelly crap on the paint, and the ridiculously low trade-in offer ($1100 on a car in better shape identical to the one they had on their lot for $6495) I won't go there. They seemed to think that because they're "no haggle" on MSRP that it doesn't apply to addons. Since I normally buy with GM employee I'm used to "no haggle". Boucher Chevrolet tried to sell me a Hyundai and offered really low on my Silverado (like less than half CarJax). But I can't blame them for that.

Wilde doesn't seem to sell GM products anymore. Lost their license or something.

If it's got Darrow in the name, I'm not game.

Brookside is going under and after trying to buy a car there last fall I understand why. The same G6 they tried to sell me as "one private owner" that turned out to be a rental lease for the first 30k is still sitting there. I tried to see what they had in stock but the lady on the phone hung up on me. I guess if my job was being lost to Toylets from next door I'd be rude too.

I ended up buying at Holz in Watertown last Fall. By far the best experience I had.

Any suggestions on where to get a Chevrolet?

BAD LS1
01-23-2008, 03:52 PM
If your looking at G6's yet go to Bob Fish in West bend (pontiac, buick, GMC)! they havea shit ton on the lot and we have bought 3 vehicles from them and they were like the one of the few that are pretty close to fair on trades and selling prices of new cars.

Otherwise Holz in hales corners for Chevys. My self and my family have decent luck with too. My finding is the bigger the dealer, the less they are worried they are about choking every penny out of you.

Poncho
01-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Ernie ain't too bad on selling cars, the rest sucks though.

got my goat for 29.5k OTD new.

Flicktitty
01-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Do Not Get An Aveo! I Repeat Do Not Get An Aveo!

UnderPSI
01-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Talk to Chris, Crawlin

wrath
01-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Do Not Get An Aveo! I Repeat Do Not Get An Aveo!

Any particular reason that you'd care to share? They don't seem like bad little shitboxes from Daewoo...

Other than I don't fit in them too well with the doors closed.

Poncho
01-23-2008, 06:58 PM
the only thing even slightly exciting from chevy right now is a FWD Malibu.

BAD LS1
01-23-2008, 07:23 PM
the only thing even slightly exciting from chevy right now is a FWD Malibu.

I agree! Those cars are pretty slick in person.

H8RADE
01-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Talk to Chris, Crawlin

x a load.
I have never even met the guy, but we have mutual friends.
He hooked a co-worker of mine up based on a 2 minute phone call from me, after a couple of PMs.
Chris M. is the chit.
:thumbsup

brewcity_mach1
01-23-2008, 08:15 PM
braeger?

pOrk
01-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Hall Chevrolet, ask for Randy Fowler and have him point you to the right sales man. He is my pops, been there for 27 years

Poncho
01-23-2008, 11:45 PM
just mention you're a friend of his son Eric.

lordairgtar
01-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Holz FTW. Great people and I thought they treated me right. I think the choice of a Cobalt is a good one. I bought a new HHR Panel in July and we really like the car. Same engine and platform as the Cobalt but has a cool retro look and it's perfect for my DJ business. I have the 2.2, but a 2.4 is available as well. I think there is a turbo too. Ask for Tony Crawford, no high pressure there. Why I chose Holz? I new some of the people that work there and they alloweds me to do my artwork at their car show on the fourth of July and the Vette show later in the year, so I figured I should return the favor. I do not regret it.

lordairgtar
01-24-2008, 12:03 AM
If you choose Hall, see Jake Couture, tell'em Gregg (airgtar) sent you.

wrath
01-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Hall and Holz seem pretty popular. When were were looking at Holz in Hales Corners last fall it was a pretty good experience other than a lot of waiting. I'd feel bad if I hopped salespeople so we spent a lot of time waiting for our salesperson.

I think we're currently leaning towards a G5 or Cobalt Coupe LT. No matter what, it needs cruise control (preferred package). Kind of torn as to whether get a slushbox or a manual. Probably leaning towards an 08 even though there is less in incentives (1000 vs 1750). Cars cost the same (within a couple hundred bucks) 07 and 08 but side curtain airbags are standard and so is the nicer radio (RDS). Plus residual value is a big win on the 08.

So it seems I need to figure out pros and cons of a G5 and Cobalt Coupe as far as price, resale, and features. I don't like the back of the Cobalt Coupe too much.

Went to the Brookfield B-P-GMC yesterday. They seemed pretty reasonable but they didn't have any G5s on the lot and wouldn't set a price in stone or bring it over unless we had a sales agreement. But they were very fair in their pricing (no haggle to go to invoice and they offered what I wanted on trade). I want to drive a car before I buy it or else I'd rather order one.

Went to Brookside to see if they had any Cobalt coupes with side curtain airbags. Only one they had with side curtain airbags was a SS. The tall porkish guy with a beard was an asshole all the way around and told me that they never made a supercharged Cobalt among other things. I understand why they're going out of business, their salespeople both lie (last time I was there in the Fall) and don't know anything about the cars they're selling.

cannonball
01-24-2008, 10:11 AM
I will send you a Pm with some contact info. I work at Holz in the Used car set-up dept. and have been here 14years. I can get you hooked up with the right people for a cobalt.

Flicktitty
01-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Any particular reason that you'd care to share? They don't seem like bad little shitboxes from Daewoo...

Other than I don't fit in them too well with the doors closed.

My buddy (Crusin240hatch) Has a 05? Aveo as a daily Driver and it seems to break quite a bit. And there is some stupid recall type thing with the timing belt breaking. Plus the car needed new wheel barings at 55K? And he is on his 3rd set of tires on it. Lets just say you get what you pay for. I would NEVER want anyone to get one again. my .02

Crawlin
01-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for all the compliments guys.

I can make some recommendations.

For your "trade in" they cannot "pretend" it's a '99 because they have to fax a copy of the title to GM in order to get the rebate. There might be other ways around it, but usually don't work(sell you a wholesale piece they have for $1 + taxes/DMV fees)

For your top off(since I just bought my '08 Impala SS this way), there will be "maximum amounts" for specific vehicles. You might want to make sure of that at the specific dealership you choose.

Everyone has good and bad things. I have dealt w/ Holz as a consumer, I have dealt with Hall as a consumer, I've dealt with Braeger as an employee. I've never dealt w/ Boucher, but have heard bad stories, and my father's one deal back in the late 90's was very unpleasant even after purchasing a Corvette from them.

theavenger333
01-24-2008, 02:44 PM
1000 more recommendations for chris ^^^^

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Most Chevrolet products need wheel bearings at 55k, probably has to do with the bearings being made in indo-paki-china.

I recommend AMATO. :alcoholic

cannonball
01-25-2008, 08:57 AM
Believe what you read on the internet and you are in NO DANGER of ever buying any type a of car NO MATTER who makes it. Having worked in the department that sets up all the used cars for Holz (1500 plus a year) I can tell you that chevrolet products do not need wheel bearings every 55000 miles (Aveo aside, but I dont consider it a chevrolet since its made by daewoo and we just sell it). The Cobalts and G5's have an outstanding track record and most shops will tell you that the Ecotec engine is a very solid motor. Having said that, no matter what you buy you will find people on the internet that will have a horror story about it, no matter what it is! Its your money, buy what YOU like!

lordairgtar
01-26-2008, 05:56 PM
The Cobalts and G5's have an outstanding track record and most shops will tell you that the Ecotec engine is a very solid motor. Having said that, no matter what you buy you will find people on the internet that will have a horror story about it, no matter what it is! Its your money, buy what YOU like!
Ecotec is a great little motor.