PDA

View Full Version : snowmobile track problem

u_say_go
01-22-2008, 07:05 PM
some of you might remember I had a problem with the track on my junk 1988 Polaris ratcheting.....the track tension bolts were bent causing the back wheels to slide forward, thus loosening the track. Fixed that problem last week with new bolts.
Today I took the sled out for the first time since fixing it, and within 1 minute the new bolts bent again and the track is looser than ever!
Any idea what's going on?!?! I used regular carriage bolts because I couldnt get my hands on 5 inch long hex bolts that were threaded all the way.

70challenger
01-22-2008, 11:55 PM
try going to a dealer and getting some bolts or try grade 8's. also, are u tightening the bolts on the outside of the rear bogie wheels? still dont think u should have a problem though. also check every bolt in the rear suspension and make sure nothing is broken, loose worn, out, ect. my old xlt had a problem ratcheting the track and it ended up have a broken bolt for one of the arms that caused the suspension to collapse and then ratchet the track. maybe take a pick so it might be easier to diagnose.

juicedimpss
01-23-2008, 01:57 PM
those need to be a good quality bolt,there is alot of leverage back there.

u_say_go
01-23-2008, 07:15 PM
took your advise and picked up some grade 8 bolts from Fastenal, threw em in today and the sled ran mint!
thanks guys!