PDA

View Full Version : Well.....

Korndogg
01-21-2008, 09:28 PM
After about a year, The motor came to life for a short period of time on Sunday. sloLs1 and myself got it started and it sounded great. The carb just needs to be adjusted so it will idle and some other little things need to be taken care of and it will be good to go. Oh and I need to get a drive shaft yet. But so far so good!

juicedimpss
01-21-2008, 09:39 PM
bout time

now get it finished so we can race
:D

Korndogg
01-21-2008, 09:40 PM
:rolf

thats the last thing im worried about

Prince Valiant
01-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Congrats!!!!!

Felt good hearing her fire up I bet!

Gotta let me hear it sometime dude...

Thumbs up though! :thumbsup

Need any help getting a good baseline tune going, just let me know, more than willing to help.

jbiscuit
01-22-2008, 02:27 PM
yep give a shout Korndogg. Always willing to stand around and stare at a motor. How'd she run when you turned her over?

Korndogg
01-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Well it wont idle at the moment but we think its just the carb that needs to be tuned. The timing is almost right on. it runs when you give it gas, just wont idle for long. Oh and flames shot out of the carb a couple times also. Everything sounded great though from what I could hear. Couldn't really hear much though since theres no exhaust lol.

Flicktitty
01-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Congrats bud! Good to hear its running.

Korndogg
01-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks everyone! Couldn't have done it without some of the guys on this board!

jbiscuit
01-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Holley or Edelbrock carb on there Mark?

Korndogg
01-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Edelbrock 750

jbiscuit
01-22-2008, 03:55 PM
does it stumble when it tries to idle? IE too lean? Have you tried backing out the idle mix screws some? Raise the idle speed also till you figure out the idle mix

Prince Valiant
01-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Well, make sure that when you fire her up again, give it a good 20 min run at around 2200 rpm (got to break in the cam). Use the throttle adjustment screw until you get around to the that rpm right on the throttle on the carb.

You'll have to adjust the screw slower a couple of time probably due to the fact that the engine is "breaking-in" during that 20 minutes probably...as the friction reduces, the rpm's climb.

Make sure you keep an eye on the temp gauge of course....when I fresh-start a new engine I'll run straight water, open t-stat, and even open the spigot on the radiator full, adding water from a hose as it runs to ensure it doesn't overheat during the break-in procedure.

The back-fire indicates that you might have too much timing, or are a little on the lean side from the carb (looking at the carb currently as the most likely culprit...hence why it won't idle either.) Back the idle adjustment screws another turn (...or two or three most likely) to get the mixture to a little on the rich side for the break-in (not too rich though!) to keep things from getting too hot. Turn each screw the exact same amount as the other...another good way is just turn them in all the way, then back them out 2 1/2 turns exactly, which should be a good starting point for the break-in. Do this before you actually start the car again.

You'll need a spotter too to help keep an eye on everything.

Don't forget, with the combination of fairly high compression (10.8:1 calculated in your case), modern combustion chamber shape, moderate cam with aggressive ramps, longer stroke and long rods, your timing requirements won't be too high, at least less than a typical iron headed moderate build chevy 350....I would think 12-14 degrees at idle, 34 degrees that's all in by 2500 rpms would be a great starting point for that engine.

Korndogg
01-22-2008, 04:10 PM
uhm...so when are you free to come over??? hahaha

I gotta take care of some other stuff before I start it again though. I had to add a push button with a toggle switch for now because something is up with my ignition. So I just ran a wire from the battery to the start button and back to the starter. Itll work for now.

It would be n ice to get a damn exhaust on there before starting it up again. Thing is way too loud for it to be running for 20 minutes in a garage with the door open.

Prince Valiant
01-22-2008, 05:33 PM
I am fairly available (fiancee is in AZ for another two months or so), so most nights that aren't friday or tuesday is good by me. I'd encourage you to get the exhaust on too...make it easier to hear if anything is wrong or just not quite right.

All I need is some ricardo's pizza.

Korndogg
01-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Well the exhaust has to be custom made to fit around my trans crossmember soo yeah. And I cant really take the car anywhere to get it done for obvious reasons. Unless I push it up onto a trailer.

Lash
01-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Well the exhaust has to be custom made to fit around my trans crossmember soo yeah. And I cant really take the car anywhere to get it done for obvious reasons. Unless I push it up onto a trailer.

Wuss!

:goof :thumbsup

Prince Valiant
01-22-2008, 05:43 PM
You could make a cheepo set-up for now...get some pipes, cheap mufflers, etc and you could just basically make some muffled dump pipes.

it'd be top notch! lol...

Korndogg
01-22-2008, 05:44 PM
lol yeah I could do that.

juicedimpss
01-22-2008, 06:04 PM
lol yeah I could do that.

if you have some old collectors and a couple pieces of 2.5" i have a pair of cheapo muffs we can weld up quick,good enough to run the car.

Lash
01-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Yeah....it's probably a good idea if somebody else welds it up for him. I've seen his welds :stare

Unless it's schedule 80 steel pipe....it's ain't happening!!!!!!! :rolf

:goof

GTSLOW
01-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Congrats bud. :thumbsup

where ya been at with the coh?

Korndogg
01-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah....it's probably a good idea if somebody else welds it up for him. I've seen his welds :stare

Unless it's schedule 80 steel pipe....it's ain't happening!!!!!!! :rolf

:goof

shut up. lol You haven't seen shit.

Reverend Cooper
01-22-2008, 07:21 PM
too cool korndoggie dogg, now i want a ride in it when the weather breaks

jbiscuit
01-23-2008, 07:42 AM
what base timing do you have in it right now? When are you guys wrenching? I might wanna pop out to see it run also!

Ricky Bobby
01-23-2008, 07:29 PM
yea im with j as soon as i get another set of wheels id be down