PDA

View Full Version : GM gauge cluster

88Nightmare
01-19-2008, 06:53 PM
so ive been told that if I were to install a new overlay in my gauge cluster and have to remove the needles, the gauges have to be re-ohmed or somethin like that, or recalibrated, and only a dealer can do this? is this true? how much could I expect to pay for this?

Deggy
01-19-2008, 07:05 PM
I have never heard of this....I put in white face gauges in a Ford Ranger before..but then again thats Ford, GM could be a little different. All we did was take the needles off very carefully and make sure we put them back on the same way we took them off so we didn't mess up the tach and speedo.

I would call a GM dealership and ask them.

88Nightmare
01-19-2008, 07:07 PM
ive never removed needles off of gauges before. is there a special tool to do this? any special technique to use?

Deggy
01-19-2008, 07:08 PM
just take them off carefully...i dont recall using any tools to get them off...this was like a year ago tho. you have to be careful not to break the needles and make sure you put them back on in the same position you took them off or they will be off.

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Huge waste IMO, and yes there is a special tool it kinda works like a food fork where you stick the fingers under the needle and lever the handle down on the fulcrum and the needles pop right off.
I would advise against doing this mod at all costs.

I have heard of guys using scan tools to look at each parameter to reset each needle, again HUGE WASTE.

84hurst
01-19-2008, 07:56 PM
I had the guage cluster in my RST replaced a couple of weeks ago because the speedo was inaccurate, it was reading way to high. Part of the RST package is to install silver faces with red lighting. Holz was able to replace the cluster and faces without recalibrating anything. It only took them an hour, and they reset my odometer too! :banana1: So I doubt you'd have to recalibrate anything.