PDA

View Full Version : Guns, Gun Dealers, Shooting Ranges....

Crawlin
01-15-2008, 09:01 AM
I want to make this a sticky at some point.

The object of this post is for all of you weapon experts to point out WHAT shops and maybe a NAME of a person to talk to so that the inexperienced people may have a place to visit when considering their first firearm purchase(like I am).

I would also like to see a list of shooting ranges, both indoor and outdoor and what each place caters to(i.e. if they don't allow certain types of guns)

I would also like to see recommended manufacturer's and WHY for certain types of guns. For my personal gun, I wanted just a nice semi-auto rifle to hit the range with. I see AR-15 popped around alot, but I also see a TON of different manufacturer's of those type weapons. Same thing goes for pistols. (www.gunbroker.com has got me drooling) I see a huge variety of opinions on 9mm and .45 models. It would be nice to condense this all into a big post to sticky for new users as I don't see this site going away anytime soon :)

Thanks guys. I will continually update this thread with your information.

Recommended Gun Dealers -

1. Badger Outdoors
2. Shooter's Shop
3. Shooters Sport Center

Recommended Shooting Ranges -

1. Badger Outdoors (Indoor Range/Handguns Only)
2. McMillers (Outdoor Range/Variety Allowed/No .50 BMG Rifles)
3. Shooter's Shop (Indoor Range/Handguns Only)
4. Shooters Sport Center (Indoor Range/Handguns Only)
5. Vilas Co. Shooting Range in Eagle River (Outdoor Range/Variety Allowed)

Recommended Ammo For Caliber-

1. White Box Winchester Ammo (Handguns)
2. Green Tip 5.56 (AR Shooting)
3. Federal Hydra-Shok JHP (Personal Defense)

pOrk
01-15-2008, 10:02 AM
I want a sig sauer p226 9, I don't know much about guns but I am told sig's will never jam :)

Breecher_7
01-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Ok, Here we go.

As ive stated before in threads I have a class 3 firearms permit and can legally transfer firearms for my own personal use (i believe we have another member here that can transfer as well). I do used to do alot of competitive shooting, I dont any longer because I just dont have the time for it.

Im sure we will get several different recommendations for shops and ranges, where to to, where not to go and alot of reasons why. Here is my input on that.

As far as purchasing firearms, I go to Badger Outdoors. Yes the sales staff here is a bit "clicky" and they dont seem all that friendly and it may seem to first time buyers as bad customer service. Truth is, this place does not deal in firearms that a first time buyer will most likely be purchasing, they are the only dealer in the milwaukee area that I know of that carries alot of hard to find and high end firearms. There sales staff is extremely knowledgeable and they will take care of you. They also have an indoor range, nothing facncy but it works just fine. They used to allow small caliber rifles but last time I checked they only allow handguns now.

A place I will never step foot inside again, Fletchers in waukesha, place is a joke and the staff is a bunch of assclowns in my oppinion.

As far as outdoor ranges are concerned, I dont think you can beat McMillers, it is owned and operated by the DNR. They have everything from your short range shooting to a 200-300yd long range. Rates are reasonable and there is always knowledgeable people there.

Now Chris you mentioned a nice semi auto to hit the range with. The AR-15 is your top candidate, firearm is reasonably priced from the get go and the ammo is cheap. With factory adjustable sights this gun is good to id say 200yds for a beginner. You have alot of options when it comes to these guns but if you want the best bang for your buck and the best gun for the money from the get go, go buy a Colt. Bushmaster, RRA and many others make nice AR's, but the Colt is still the best from the factory in my oppinion.

As far as a autoloader handgun is concerned, take your pick. For a 9mm Id go with a Springfield XD with the 5" tactical barrel. For a .45 Id go with a Kimber for target, a Springfield XD for service.

Hope this helps.

Crawlin
01-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks Tony, that's the kinda post we lost in the server blow up, but is needed. if I were to do a handgun, i'd rather do a 9mm for ammo cost seems to be lower.

Speaking of, how about a recommended ammo portion?

Breecher_7
01-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks Tony, that's the kinda post we lost in the server blow up, but is needed. if I were to do a handgun, i'd rather do a 9mm for ammo cost seems to be lower.

Speaking of, how about a recommended ammo portion?

I load my own ammo for most of my stuff.

For AR target shooting, nothing beats good old green tip 5.56 military ammo. That is your best bang for your buck.

Handgun ammo, for target shooting id say white box winchester ammo from wal-mart.

For personal defense, Federal Hydra-Shok JHP's, hands down.....

Oh and for your section above, McMillers does not allow .50 BMG rifles.

Rocket Power
01-15-2008, 12:38 PM
I like Shooter's shop in West Allis and Shooters Sport Center in Racine. Handguns only as far as I know. Shooters Sport center has a nice range and is cheaper then the one in West Allis $10 vs $15.
I like Winchester White box form Wally mart 15.97/100 for 9mm . I have an 03 C&R FFL and get dealer discounts at a lot of places and its still cheaper at walmart.
I go to McMiller for rifles $14/ all day or $10/hour.

I like federal and corbon for defense ammo. Wolf for feeding AK's.

For handguns I love my 3rd gen Smith& Wesson. Never had a failure with either my old Ruger P-89 or my old Glock 23 .40 . Had good luck with Taurus Millenium Pro's in .380 and 9mm. Heard good things about the S&W M&P.

Sportman's Warehouse has some of the best prices on guns.

MurphysLaw88GT
01-15-2008, 12:45 PM
As for 5.56x45, depeds on what the ROT (rate of twist) on the barrel would be as to what would be ideal.

MurphysLaw88GT
01-15-2008, 12:47 PM
I just wish wally-world carried the Winchester white box 7.62 NATO, cant find that around here easily.

Breecher_7
01-15-2008, 12:51 PM
I just wish wally-world carried the Winchester white box 7.62 NATO, cant find that around here easily.

No kidding!!!!

Rocket Power
01-15-2008, 05:26 PM
I just wish wally-world carried the Winchester white box 7.62 NATO, cant find that around here easily.True dat. Next time I am in muskego I'll have to check out my "secret spot" and see if he has some. Got a decent price on Wolf 203 grn SP for my M38 for deer season.

Rocket Power
01-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Oh and for my Milsurp Rifles I usually shoot surplus ammo.Right now I have Yugo for 8mm and I have Albanian for my 7.62x54r but I may pick up some other stuff too.
Buy it Cheap and Stack it DEEP.

Speaking of WWB 9mm, after xmas I was gong to pick some up at the new berlin walmart and some dude bought all the WWB and Rem UMC 100 packs before I could get any, $300+ .
SO I had to go to a different wallymart.

Knyghtmare
01-16-2008, 07:16 AM
As far as a autoloader handgun is concerned, take your pick. For a 9mm Id go with a Springfield XD with the 5" tactical barrel. For a .45 Id go with a Kimber for target, a Springfield XD for service.

Exactly! I will swear by my XD. It is perfect for a first handgun as well for anyone who wants to get into it. Anyone who has fired my XD has gotten one of their own. I also just picked up a Kimber 1911 .45. Very nice gun.

UnderPSI
01-16-2008, 08:22 AM
You forgot to add the Vilas Co. shooting range in Eagle River. I always make sure to donate some $ when I go. They use the money to replace the boards that the targets hang on.

Knyghtmare
01-16-2008, 08:35 AM
The white box Winchester is the best deal for most handgun ammo period. Especially 9mm.

Crawlin
01-16-2008, 01:45 PM
What's the procedure for the FFL stuff? Let's say I found something I liked. Do I just need to say "hey i want this shipped here" or something and pay them their fee? What do I need from the FFL?

Knyghtmare
01-16-2008, 04:06 PM
Im looking for a place to have my AR15 stripped lower shipped and I went to Fletcher's because they are close and they want $50 just to recieve a damn stripped lower. What a joke.

EDIT: After calling around a bit more. Gander Mountain in Waukesha has the cheapest transfer fee of $35... Thats still a lot in my opinion. I don't see why it has to cost anything at all.

Breecher_7
01-16-2008, 04:07 PM
If you are buying somthing online that requires a FFL, such as a lower ar reciever. You would need to find a a dealer or person with a FFL and have them do the transfer. The dealer will most likely charge you a fee to transfer somthing to them though. In some cases its cheaper to just buy the part through them at that point. This is why there a few of us with personal transfer permits, if you do alot of things that would require an FFL, its worth it.

DirtyMax
01-16-2008, 05:08 PM
I know Shooters in Racine will let you shoot a 22LR at their range too. I like to do that once in a while since it's cheap and accurate. Nothing like drawing a smiley face on a paper squirrel 25 yards down range... :D

Rocket Power
01-16-2008, 05:52 PM
I used a guy in tosa that I found on gunbroker. $20 for my Cetme reciever (needed an 01 since it's not C&R) from century. Real nice guy and got everything coordinated with century. I paid century for the rec, then paid him the $20 when it was in.

Rocket Power
01-16-2008, 05:54 PM
I don't see why it has to cost anything at all.

Your basically paying for his time and for him doing the paperwork and calling it in. Some places are really high to discourage you from buying from someone else.

I've seen stripped lowers at the gunshows for in the$110-$120 range then you can skip the transfer fee, just an idea.

Crawlin
01-16-2008, 06:29 PM
Yah, as much as I really want to start it NOW, i may just wait for the next gun show. Whens the next one? I think there's one in Jefferson early next month.

Yeah that $50 at Fletcher's was kinda high considering the part I wanted was only $129, but since it's a specific manufacturer that they didn't have, that part sucked. I think tomorrow it's a trip to Gander and Cabella's, haha.

Breecher_7
01-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Check out the Sportsmans Warehouse in westbend, there going out of business. I think all firearms are on sale right now 10+%

Crawlin
01-16-2008, 07:42 PM
OH SHIT, i know i'm gonna end up buyin a handgun tomorrow now then. Was looking at a couple XD9's today online

Reverend Cooper
01-16-2008, 07:51 PM
chris if your up this way let me know im about a mile from sportsmans

moels
01-16-2008, 07:58 PM
When is Sportsman's going out of business? I need to get there and buy a pistol or 2 before they do.

Rocket Power
01-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Yah, as much as I really want to start it NOW, i may just wait for the next gun show. Whens the next one? I think there's one in Jefferson early next month.

January 25, 26 & 27
Waukesha Expo Forum

http://www.bobandrocco.com/events.html

Crawlin
01-16-2008, 08:13 PM
OH SHIT, i guess I can wait for that for some other stuff.

I did just ordered a Mega Gator stripped lower receiver, hahah.

http://www.carricozarmory.com/images/mega.h1.jpg

Had a couple other things ready to order, but I get to wait now, YIPPEE, haha

Knyghtmare
01-16-2008, 08:46 PM
OH SHIT, i guess I can wait for that for some other stuff.

I did just ordered a Mega Gator stripped lower receiver, hahah.

http://www.carricozarmory.com/images/mega.h1.jpg

Had a couple other things ready to order, but I get to wait now, YIPPEE, haha

Those are nice. You should look at Anvil Arms as well. I saw you around AR15.com :headbang

Breecher_7
01-16-2008, 09:07 PM
OH SHIT, i know i'm gonna end up buyin a handgun tomorrow now then. Was looking at a couple XD9's today online

Hold out for the 5" tactical Model, the 4" service model is not nearly as accurate. I currently have two of the 5" Tacticals, one in .40 and one in .45.

Breecher_7
01-16-2008, 09:07 PM
chris if your up this way let me know im about a mile from sportsmans

I do as well.

USMARINE1108
01-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Im a fan of WWB for handgun. For anything precision, handloading is the only way to go. If you don't reload and want precision stuff Black Hills match is pretty much the standard for .308 and .223. For plinking surplus is great, but for precision work the military surplus is a no go.

Reverend Cooper
01-17-2008, 07:11 PM
I do as well.

where u at

Breecher_7
01-17-2008, 07:37 PM
where u at

Off 60 in Jackson.

Reverend Cooper
01-17-2008, 07:38 PM
im right off g and paradise drive right down the road

UnderPSI
01-18-2008, 08:32 AM
January 25, 26 & 27
Waukesha Expo Forum

http://www.bobandrocco.com/events.html

We should all meet there. I want to get another AR-10

Crawlin
01-18-2008, 09:16 AM
i'd be going sunday since i work all day friday/saturday

Knyghtmare
01-18-2008, 10:26 AM
I gotta work till 3 on Friday and Saturday, but I plan on going after that, whatever day doesnt matter.

Crawlin
01-18-2008, 01:18 PM
called up to the west bend store. They said that they are closing and that there are things 10-50% off. Sounds like a good deal, UNTIL he said that they do not have any pistols left. They did a week we thing and then shipped them all off. GHEY AS AIDS right there!!

Breecher_7
01-18-2008, 04:32 PM
We should all meet there. I want to get another AR-10

Im doing a .450 conversion on one of my AR's. Ought to be interesting.

73Dustr
01-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Chris, I have to agree with Tony on the XDs. I purchased one of his .40 XDs last year, and I love the gun! It's a great gun especially for someone getting started. It's easy to break down, and they are reasonably priced. I was skeptical of the accuracy seeing as how it did not have adjustable sights, but the 5" tactical is very accurate. Kimbers are also amazing, but they are a hell of a lot more expensive, many used ones are $800 and up depending on what model.

As for handgun caliber, I would strongly suggest not going with a 9mm. I think you would be better off going with a .40. 9mm's do not have as much knockdown as the .40S&W. Especially if it going to double as self defense gun, I'd definitely go with something that if you shoot an intruder, they are going to stay down. With .40S&W, you can still get 50 round boxes of Winchester FMJ for $10-15. As for a home defense round, definitely go with the Federal JHP, hands down. The .40 still packs a punch, but doesn't hit the wallet hard like the 45 ACP.

Breecher_7
01-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Chris, I have to agree with Tony on the XDs. I purchased one of his .40 XDs last year, and I love the gun! It's a great gun especially for someone getting started. It's easy to break down, and they are reasonably priced. I was skeptical of the accuracy seeing as how it did not have adjustable sights, but the 5" tactical is very accurate. Kimbers are also amazing, but they are a hell of a lot more expensive, many used ones are $800 and up depending on what model.

As for handgun caliber, I would strongly suggest not going with a 9mm. I think you would be better off going with a .40. 9mm's do not have as much knockdown as the .40S&W. Especially if it going to double as self defense gun, I'd definitely go with something that if you shoot an intruder, they are going to stay down. With .40S&W, you can still get 50 round boxes of Winchester FMJ for $10-15. As for a home defense round, definitely go with the Federal JHP, hands down. The .40 still packs a punch, but doesn't hit the wallet hard like the 45 ACP.

Exactly.... :banana1:

DirtyMax
01-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Is anyone in to shooting rifles or are most of you handgun fellas?

Crawlin
01-19-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm building up an AR15. Right now just have stuff ordered and waiting for it to come in. At that point I'm hoping to do both :) Want to do an AR10 after that in a SPR type build/modify.

What's up Dan? How's life?

I haven't doubted anything on the XD's. That is my primary choice. I went and talked to Dale at the Sportsman Warehouse here in New Berlin. Dude was AWESOME to talk to. Just had a ton of information and was showing me the plus and minus' of all the handguns. Showed how simple they were to break down to clean. He had the XD apart in like 5 seconds, hahaa.

I'm probably gonna stick with the 9mm since it's more of a plinker than a home defense weapon. My neighborhood is pretty safe since it's Muskego, haha. When the time comes for the house build/purchase, then I would start looking at a home defense weapon.

Breecher_7
01-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Is anyone in to shooting rifles or are most of you handgun fellas?

Rem 700LTR
HK PSG1

I used to do long range competition shooting.

Crawlin
01-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Rem 700LTR
HK PSG1

I used to do long range competition shooting.

Pics?

Breecher_7
01-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Pics?

Come over and dig through the gun safe... :banana

Crawlin
01-19-2008, 11:46 AM
One day I have a feeling I'm gonna, hahaha. Those would be two dream guns to own. Especially the PSG1

Breecher_7
01-19-2008, 12:16 PM
One day I have a feeling I'm gonna, hahaha. Those would be two dream guns to own. Especially the PSG1

700LTR is easily attainable by the general public, badger usually has atleast 1 in stock at around $800 or less.

The PSG1 on the other hand is pretty hard to get by joe shmo and carries a hefty price tag.

73Dustr
01-19-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm building up an AR15. Right now just have stuff ordered and waiting for it to come in. At that point I'm hoping to do both :) Want to do an AR10 after that in a SPR type build/modify.

What's up Dan? How's life?

I haven't doubted anything on the XD's. That is my primary choice. I went and talked to Dale at the Sportsman Warehouse here in New Berlin. Dude was AWESOME to talk to. Just had a ton of information and was showing me the plus and minus' of all the handguns. Showed how simple they were to break down to clean. He had the XD apart in like 5 seconds, hahaa.

I'm probably gonna stick with the 9mm since it's more of a plinker than a home defense weapon. My neighborhood is pretty safe since it's Muskego, haha. When the time comes for the house build/purchase, then I would start looking at a home defense weapon.

Same old, same old. I don't know Chris, I heard Muskego is getting pretty bad :rolf. Whatever caliber you get, I think you will be satisfied with the XD both for price and quality. I think they are hell of a lot better than Glocks. I don't know how many rounds I have had through mine and it has not jammed on me once. I'm sure other XD owners can attest to that. I think we should arrange a BCM shoot in spring at one of the ranges. I know it was talked about last summer, but I don't know if it ever went through. We definitely have enough guys that would go.

Crawlin
01-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Group outing would be cool. Maybe have a whole "picnic" type setting where everyone brings something. Those were always cool when we did big paintball outings with a couple of groups of friends

UnderPSI
01-19-2008, 03:16 PM
I just have to decide if I want a A2 or A4 AR-10.....

Breecher_7
01-19-2008, 03:17 PM
I just have to decide if I want a A2 or A4 AR-10.....

Personally I like the A4

UnderPSI
01-19-2008, 03:39 PM
That's the way I was leaning, That's how my first one was. Now, 16 or 20 inch barrel. I am leaning twards 20 again.

Crawlin
01-19-2008, 03:48 PM
A4

Here's what I'd like mine to look like at some point. Just switch the suppressor for a FH to get the big bang at the range :) hahaha

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e118/michealj88/IMG_1952Large.jpg

Breecher_7
01-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Id go with the 20" with a .308 rnd. Its a good choice. Chris if you would like to fire a gun with a supressor let me know, we can go shooting some time, I have a setup like that for my M4.

Crawlin
01-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I'm sure this summer there will be alot of trips and loaded vehicles, haha.

I'd actually like shooting WITHOUT it for the most part. But of course would love to hear it WITH one atleast once in my life.

drooooool

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g293/rx7turbo929/garand%20and%20ebr%20stuff/Picture692.jpg

Breecher_7
01-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Suppressor with auto sounds pretty cool.

Crawlin
01-19-2008, 04:36 PM
ok, so yeah, i would love to shoot THAT at some point in my life, haha