PDA

View Full Version : So many decisions???

BAD LS1
09-05-2003, 11:00 AM
Well Im trying to decide whetehr im goingto keep my Camaro the way it is an just drive it/show it. Im really fired up about doing a new project car and im actually kicking the idea around of doing a turbo on my Cavalier. This has been done before yes but see its all little punks out there that do stuff to these cars and never see full potential. Theres one guy i know of with a turbo it at 5 psi and running way too fat on the pushrod 2.2 and went 14.9 @ 94
I figure with my knowledge and patience i could really turn up the wick on this engine and do it safely. its 9.0:1 compression ratio engine so it can handle some atmospheric pressure and i would do alchohol injection to keep detonation away and still be able to run a piss load of timing. I guess im just getting really burnt out on the Camaro project and not to mention its all be done before by other people. I would be going for a record if i do the cavalier and i dont see why i couldnt get it into SRT4 territory with out spending a s*** load of cash. The car would remain completely stock looking with all exhasut replaced up to the stock muffler and the air intake will still feed through the silenced air box so barely any turbo noise could be heard. It will have no gauges in plain sight it will look like your average bone stock car. Let me know your thoughts.

Tom B

jimee pop
09-05-2003, 11:11 AM
ur getting one step closer to rice man! ha ha

so u have the 2.2. as well? i know they had the supercharger for the 2.4. my dad works at holz and gm gave him the go ahead to pump up one of the new 2.2, but they didnt have **** for it in the forced induction department. again, thats gm stuff. im sure somebodys got somethign else as far as aftermarket.

is your car at least a z?

BAD LS1
09-05-2003, 11:37 AM
No its not the Ecotec engine its the pushrod "2200 SFI"
the 120 Hp 130ft/lbs job. Its just a base model 5 speed 2002 cavalier with the steel 14 " wheels and hub caps. But thats the fun part because its not a Z24' its makes it really suprising when a plain jane silver cavalier goes boiling past.

P.S. its not Ricey either becasue it will have not useless crap on it or loud pissed off bumble bee exhaust.

Tom B

jimee pop
09-05-2003, 11:59 AM
but its fwd and made in mexico! lol

just playin man... good luck

BAD LS1
09-05-2003, 12:03 PM
yeah its FWD but it was made in Lordstown Ohio. Thats were all J body production was until 2003 production then 50 precent was moved to Janesville WI which was the old suburban/tahoe plant that now moved to TX. As far as i know GM only has some powertrain production in Mexico not entire cars or trucks that are U.S. bound.

Tom B

animal
09-05-2003, 12:14 PM
You want my opinion?

Stick with your camaro, let the cav be a daily driver and nothing more.

Also realize I am a closed minded v8 dominated person. I'll never own anything but a v8 for my hobby car. Daily drivers I don't care about what I have, but I'll be damned if i'd ever spend money on it. I suffer through winter with whatever beater I have at the time.

Prince Valiant
09-05-2003, 12:28 PM
Personally I think it's a great idea if you can do it cheap enough...which shouldn't be too much of a problem (ex:getting intercooler/turbo from a similiar sized motor [mopar 2.2, ford 2.3] weld the turbo base plate to the end of your exhaust manifold...etc, etc)

...I bet you could pull it off for less than 1000bucks EASY.

My only concern is that high boost (above 8psi) may cause HG problems for the otherwise stock motor as i think that cavy motor internals are otherwise tough enough.

Only one way to find out I guess :thumbsup

Cryptic
09-05-2003, 12:46 PM
bah... screw the FWD project car, if there is anything I dislike about my car, its the lack of a V8 roar and not being able to throttle steer

Caveliers are pigs, the suspension sucks, why bother in my opinion.

JohnnyT
09-05-2003, 01:29 PM
Well, I have a mixed opinion. I LOVE sleeper cars! From the sleeper standpoint this is a really cool idea, but... If you are looking at "only" being able to shoot for mid to high 13 sec cars, I think you are going to get really sick of that really quick too. Think about it, you and your SS can run with most of the big boys now. If you put the money that you will be spending on the Cav, in the SS you could be at the top of the food chain next year. I know you enough to know that you will be unsatisfied beating up on cars that you have long surpassed in the SS. You will be better served improving the SS to go after the "one's that got away" this year and make them your b1tch next year!! Make it a little more bulletproof and do the other mods that you were thinking about and then you can come out next year with both barrels blazing, instead of just having some little concealed knives when the gun fight happens... My .02 FWIW

John T

BAD LS1
09-05-2003, 01:41 PM
Thanks John !! Youd make a good inspirational speaker you know that?? or work as a cop talking down jumpers hehehehehehe.
Well the SS might be out humpin this sat night already, i had one last set of richmonds left to load in so i can drive it. Ill reload the rear end again, this thing is like a cat its got 9 lives hahahahahah

Tom B

som2002
09-05-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by BADDLS1SS
yeah its FWD but it was made in Lordstown Ohio. Thats were all J body production was until 2003 production then 50 precent was moved to Janesville WI which was the old suburban/tahoe plant that now moved to TX. As far as i know GM only has some powertrain production in Mexico not entire cars or trucks that are U.S. bound.

Tom B
??????? Really?? I better go down and tell my Dad and Brother to stop building trucks and start building cavaliers then, since here in Janesville we are not building ANY cavaliers unless they have some secret underground assembly line somewhere. The "old suburban/tahoe plant" still makes good old suburbans and tahoes and denalis here in Janesville.

JohnnyT
09-05-2003, 02:05 PM
You're welcome Tom... good to hear the SS will be back at it soon. Oh, and if you're ever feeling suicidal, you know who to call.... :goof

BAD LS1
09-05-2003, 02:19 PM
Well it was something i heard through the grapevine about J body production at Janesville, and suburban/tahoe production was steered twoards arlington TX which my parent 03 Tahoe was made at Arlington. But they all have Heavy duty truck production at janesville still. Thanks for the update though there big guy :thumbsup

Tom B

PB86MCSS
09-05-2003, 03:09 PM
Why not just get a 2.4 Z-24 with a 5 speed and take the emblems off? ;). Friend of mine is running a 15.2 in his 01' Z-24 with the 5 speed and some mods(not riced)...big Cav freak(hope he reads this :durr ). Seems the 2.4 has more of an aftermarket/potential at least for now from what I hear. He was toying with the idea of supercharging it but decided against it.

He also had a 00' Camaro SS but actually sold it for the Z-24 after only owning it for a very short while, believe it or not. He had/has another go fast muscle type car so having another wasnt a big desire I guess.

Id personally stick with a RWD platform for any serious performance, nothing wrong with toying with the Cav a little though.

Crawlin
09-05-2003, 04:27 PM
you'd hate it. you'd hate yourself. you'd have some money invested in the cavi, that now made it as problematic in some areas as the SS was. Where you could put a 12bolt in the SS and be hauling ass and not worrying about that part of the car. The only reason you are bumming on the SS is that it blew another weak ass 10bolt. You got a sickening fast car that tons of people love, and girls too ;) Projects are never done. So that cavi would end up taking more time and money away and still would only run 12's at best. Sleeper? yes. But for what? to beat up on an occasional Z, 5.0, T/A, etc... on hwy? It's not like you can actually make money around here by having a sleeper.

Just my .02

Chris
A very biased opinion

JC70SS
09-05-2003, 04:36 PM
John said everything that needed to be said. However, Tom, I still think you should get a monster tach w/shiftlight mounted on the dash!:rockwoot:

lotsals1
09-05-2003, 04:46 PM
GHAY
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/d0/intercourse.gif

BAD LS1
09-05-2003, 04:50 PM
RLMFAO !!!!

:rolf

Tom B

PB86MCSS
09-05-2003, 07:25 PM
It's not like you can actually make money around here by having a sleeper.

I dunno, but with sleepers in general, I would build one(sleepers are cool to me) and not give a hoot about winning money at all. Not what I'd build a car for. Beating people for fun and seeing their face would be worth it :D.

BadAzzGTA89
09-05-2003, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PB86MCSS
[B]Why not just get a 2.4 Z-24 ?

The 2.4 that is the reason GM came out with the 2.2 ECOTEC the got tired of the long running quad four with i heard had some issues .The ecotec is a far better engine to toy with and get optimal HP with ! BAD i think you got a grat idea there for a pocket rocket;) Maybe i should start a project Green Sun Flame 2.2 ECOTEC:thumbsup

BadAzzGTA89
09-05-2003, 07:42 PM
Oh yea and i think the ecotec is a lighter engine being aluminum .

BAD LS1
09-05-2003, 07:58 PM
IMO the Quad is a MUCH better engine.

The Ecotec in my old mans 03 cav auto is a slug compared to the quad 4 in the 00 Z24 auto he owned previously. It makes alot of timing chain noise it sounds like a diesel and its completley gutless below 4K. The quad was fairly noisy but it had a unique exotic sound to it from the over all engine noise and air intake tone that made it pleasent to drive. It was a very torqy engine down low and had alot of top end wind as well and it loved to rev.
GM only got rid of this power train due to the fact they wanted a truely global engine and the quad couldnt deliver that becasue it wasnt a very simplistic engine that diff countrys could build. So they turned to opel to design the Ecotec. Thats why i love my pushrod 2.2 cav its a torqy little f*** and its really fun to drive in city traffic and its awsome for stop light to stop light races for what it is. 99 percent of the issue the Quad engine had were resolved back in 96 when it went to the 2.4 L design. The older 2.3 Quad 4 HO's were a marvel, the 180 HP version in the Olds Calais Quad 442 banged off 14.7's @ 92 back in 91. The Quad was bonafied production race engine and the Ecotec will never top it, the engine is built to a cost and is for ease of production, GM talked it up like its some HOT ROD engine when ive yet to seem then do any factory HP increases over the 140 like was promised, instead we got Bright yellow and some new ground effects to make up for the lack of performance.

Tom B

Crawlin
09-05-2003, 08:07 PM
True, the look IS priceless :) If i got beat by a cavi my look would be on the priceless commercials. but it's just my personal opinion that even though it's fast, at all other times, it's just a cavi. is there a lot of aftermarket suspension mods for the car to make it worthy of entering a SOLO/SCCA class?

Chris

PS- Tom, your PM box is full. i'll give you a call tomorrow night to see what's up.

BadAzzGTA89
09-05-2003, 08:11 PM
Sounds like your dad should take his car back ! And being an slug and all . I know one thing my 03 sunfire is no slug and yes it is a auto that will kick like a mule into second i just turn trac control off and hold the brake give her some gas and i launch hell i know i mad a lot of ricers with there hondas mad when i pulled up to there body kit havein loud muffler 17 inch mofo's and i say wanna go and they say if YOU CAN HANG and i smile and put it in first,track off, and hold the brake rev up a lil and launch on there monkey asses and leave them far back and there so mad tey turn off right away so i dont think mine is a slug :thumbsup

PB86MCSS
09-05-2003, 08:37 PM
What kind of times in the 1/4 does the Ecotec do compared to the older 2.4's? I know my friend prefers the 2.4 over the Eco...the 2.4 stock has 150hp with 155 ft lbs I believe(at least with a manual car)...a noticeable amount over the Eco.

Prince Valiant
09-05-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by PB86MCSS
Beating people for fun and seeing their face would be worth it :D. What we need to do is have one of you guys ride with me...we'll beat a couple of people, let them pull up and click a pick of their expresions(They REALLY are quite priceless).....then we'll photoshop various pics with "OWN3D" across them...:thumbsup

BAD LS1
09-06-2003, 12:26 AM
Well i know of a certain 2002 LS Sport Cavalier auto with the Ecotec that went 16.0 on a 2.1 60 ft which is moving in the short time for an auto because everyone of these things fall on there face at the sarting line no matter how you launch it. Its just by design that they have no low end, and in cavaliers you dont have the option click off the traction control but manualy shifting into 1st or 2nd would turn it off. Thee 00 Z24 would shift really firmly through all gears with 60,000 on it. Im sorry i cant give the Ecotec props when comparing it to the Quad engine.

Tom B

BadAzzGTA89
09-06-2003, 02:03 AM
Guess what guys me and my wife went on the strip after dinner and we were leaving and we see this black and gold IROC Z28 and we were going about 35mph and he looked at me and gunned it so i was like ok and kicked down to 3rd and spanked his candy ass we go to burligh and went east bound and him and his buddy came up again and taped that ass once more i was waiting for the stop light on 92nd but i guess he was salty and turned north bound must have got an ear full from his buddy and i just kept on . I really wish we would have brought the GTA out hell i guess he is lucky i didn't LMAO:thumbsup

BadAzzGTA89
09-06-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by BADDLS1SS
Well i know of a certain 2002 LS Sport Cavalier auto with the Ecotec that went 16.0 on a 2.1 60 ft which is moving in the short time for an auto because everyone of these things fall on there face at the sarting line no matter how you launch it. Its just by design that they have no low end, and in cavaliers you dont have the option click off the traction control but manualy shifting into 1st or 2nd would turn it off. Thee 00 Z24 would shift really firmly through all gears with 60,000 on it. Im sorry i cant give the Ecotec props when comparing it to the Quad engine.

Tom B

My reply to that is rev to 2 grand and let off the brake and it will take off no falling on face there .Not true about what you say about manuly shifting turning trac control off cause when it senses slip it goes on that's why i turn it off or it would fall on it's facei control the spin to get tracktion with those thin tires .I do wish they were 14 inchers tho

BAD LS1
09-06-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by BadAzzGTA89
My reply to that is rev to 2 grand and let off the brake and it will take off no falling on face there .Not true about what you say about manuly shifting turning trac control off cause when it senses slip it goes on that's why i turn it off or it would fall on it's facei control the spin to get tracktion with those thin tires .I do wish they were 14 inchers tho

On the Cavaliers if you shift into 1 or 2 manually, it shuts the traction control off, an indicator light comes on in the lower left corner of the gauges that says ETS OFF and same deal if you pull the e brake up one click but that in starts ding like you left the head lights on when you start to move but it also shuts the DRLS off too till you get above 10 mph then they come on again but i dissabled my DRLS at the DERM body computer in my Cav. But the Cavaliers dont have a switch to just turn off the ETS like my Camaro does.

Tom B