PDA

View Full Version : Private Firearms Sales Laws....

DirtyMax
01-13-2008, 01:25 AM
So I'm hearing multiple things as to what's what. Some people saying it's OK to sell a handgun to someone 18-20, others saying I'm "going to jail if I sell a handgun to someone under 21", however I can not find anything to prove that statement. I'm not saying it's not out there... I'm saying I can'f find it online. So... not willing to take that chance right now, I removed my ads.

I know solving this is only a simple call to my attorney or one of the many LEO's I know but just for discussions sake, can anyone prove that this law is outdated?

"While youth under 21 may not purchase a handgun from a dealer with a FFL, that same young person may buy a handgun on the secondary market. We know that a significant percentage of perpetrators and victims of gun violence are youth ages 18-20. Barrett is seeking legislation that will prohibit the sale of handguns to individuals under the age of 21."

http://www.ci.mil.wi.us/LetsGetSeriousAboutI15418.htm

It seems like a huge loophole in the law but so far, I've been able to find nothing to support the fact that anyone's done anything to close it yet.

Thanks in advance!

Breecher_7
01-13-2008, 09:00 AM
I bought and transferred firearms for years. Federal law is that that no one under the age of 21 can purchase a handgun. 18 for long guns, you want proof of this contact the ATF.

If somthing has changed that I am unaware of, i will still be going by these guidelines till I see some hard evidence of a loophole or a law change. I will not jepordise my freedom, my class 3 permit or my demo permits. IMO, no one under 21 needs a handgun anways.

DirtyMax
01-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Were you an FFL then? Maybe the "dealer" rules applied to you because of that.

Either way, I appreciate the heads up. I might just keep it anyways and "find a way" to swing another toy. One can never have too many firerams, right?!?:D

Breecher_7
01-13-2008, 09:17 AM
No, just private transfers. No FFL here......

DirtyMax
01-13-2008, 10:52 AM
This looks to be the federal law.

http://www.firearmslawcenter.org/content/federallawsummary.asp#minimumagetopurchase

Everywhere I'm reading says 18 for private 21 for dealer and that includes handguns. It's written right in there.

Excerpts from the link to the federal laws (Section 922):

"(x)(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or
otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has
reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile -
(A) a handgun; or
(B) ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun."

^^^ Juvenille is defined as someone under 18 in Wisconsin so I'm reading that as private sale = 18

"(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or
deliver -
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the
licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than
eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is
other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or
rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable
cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;"

^^^ This section refers to dealers...

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to argue. I am trying to find evidence to support your statements about federal laws requiring private sales to be to 21+ and can't (not that I don't agree 1000%).

The ATF is one of my customers so I guess I can just ask them too.

Rocket Power
01-13-2008, 11:58 AM
I guess it's possible for it to be legal on the secondary market, just seems odd since you have to be 21 to purchase handgun ammo too. My gues is that your not going to be cutting out too many potential customers by going 21 +, That's what I've done and sold 2 handguns. Just my 2 cents

Breecher_7
01-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Hmmm.... ok.

Personally, i still wouldnt risk it. Cutting out the under 21 element isnt going to be a big deal anyays, most people under 21 dont have that kind of cash floating anyways.

Ive always known it to be 21 for handguns and you bet your ass that I will not be taking any chances.

Id look a little further into the federal definition of the word "Juvenille" as well, could mean 21.

Let me know what you find out, as I said above though, i still wouldnt risk it. Its not worth it to me, i have to much at stake.

USMARINE1108
01-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Hmmm.... ok.

Personally, i still wouldnt risk it.

Ive always known it to be 21 for handguns and you bet your ass that I will not be taking any chances.

Couldn't agree more.

Deggy
01-13-2008, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't sell a handgun to anyone under 21 just to be safe.

MurphysLaw88GT
01-13-2008, 03:29 PM
I bought and transferred firearms for years. Federal law is that that no one under the age of 21 can purchase a handgun. 18 for long guns, you want proof of this contact the ATF.

If somthing has changed that I am unaware of, i will still be going by these guidelines till I see some hard evidence of a loophole or a law change. I will not jepordise my freedom, my class 3 permit or my demo permits. IMO, no one under 21 needs a handgun anways.

F'n A right!

I do NOT need the ATF dropping the hammer on me. I am not "prison material".

DirtyMax
01-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Juvenille is up to the state's discretion and in WI, it's under 18.

I'm not gonna chance it. I think I'll just wait to see if any of the 4 people who PM'd me that they want it come up with the money and just make sure they are 21+....

Rocket Power
01-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Juvenille is up to the state's discretion and in WI, it's under 18.

I'm not gonna chance it. I think I'll just wait to see if any of the 4 people who PM'd me that they want it come up with the money and just make sure they are 21+....

:thumbsup

Breecher_7
01-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Good choice.

limpimpg
01-18-2008, 05:05 PM
if you don't know them get there drivers liscense.keep it in a book i do just in case.if the police come to your door you just show them thats who you sold it to.i even get it who i brought it from to cover me.if seller won't then something is wrong.