PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing any Yote' hunting?

DirtyMax
01-12-2008, 01:59 AM
Been out the past 2 weekends. Just got back now actually. Last Saturday night, we had them all around us calling back but it was foggy as heck. Tonight, it was pretty clear but I don't think the wind direction was doing us any favors at our favorite spot. Of the 4 of us that tend to go together, there's 3 less Wil'E's breathing so far this season.

Anyone else into this and if so, havin any luck and is your weapon of choice? We have some .223's, a .204 Ruger (4200 fps factory loads FTMFW!.. I think I might sell some inventory and get one of these), a .222 Rem (mine... the scope could stand an upgrade for night hunting in the field but on a bench, the rifle is still a tack driver for being an antique), and some 17 HMR's for the more "resedential" areas... and yes a 17 will let the air out of a coyote... all 3 this year were shot with that caliber rifle.

SSDude
01-12-2008, 05:01 AM
Never done it but it sound like a good time. One of the outdoor mags just had an article on night hunting yotes. Ever let a guy tag along?

DirtyMax
01-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Ever let a guy tag along?

That's how I got started! An extra set of eyes never hurts either.

brewcity_mach1
01-13-2008, 07:52 AM
i tried a couple times but was unsuccessful. once went on a pheasant farm and didnt see anything. this was at night. and i went a couple times up around where i hunt. no luck. i wanted to get a semi auto for this reason but didnt yet. but what i used was my 12 ga with 00 buck shot

73Dustr
01-18-2008, 08:31 PM
I have only gotten out once and popped a female at 150 yards. Where do you usually go? You using distress calls or howling?

brewcity_mach1
01-19-2008, 10:45 PM
i used calls both times i went... but one time i went i heard them howling back but didnt come in closer

brewcity_mach1
01-19-2008, 10:46 PM
and speaking of yotes... i was helping my cousins doing snow removal and we were on our way to the next job and i saw two by hart park.. it was about 4 in the morning

Crawlin
01-21-2008, 09:45 AM
They look too close like my dog for me to actually be able to pull the trigger, hahaha.

DirtyMax
01-21-2008, 09:49 AM
When they stalk and kill your, your friends, your neigbhors, or your countrymens' (<--- LOL) dog, you will begin to feel different. Kill em all!

73Dustr
01-21-2008, 12:20 PM
When they stalk and kill your, your friends, your neigbhors, or your countrymens' (<--- LOL) dog, you will begin to feel different. Kill em all!

No doubt. Not to mention they can really do some damage on many other game populations, especially in winters with harsh conditions like we have been having this year. I talked to one lady that had 8 of them come after her black lab one night. I've heard extreme cases down south where they have gone for little kids, emphasis on the extreme part obviously.

Prince Valiant
01-21-2008, 02:15 PM
I was out wthe western portion of south dakota once when some of my uncles friends were hunting yote's...they used tolling dogs to bring the yote's in range and shot them. It was a small Jagd Terrier (think black and tan jack russel with longer legs). Fearless little dog...

...also knew of a guy who'd hunt with airedale terriers (one of my favorite breeds). Most times their job was to "toll" (think "troll") the yote back to shoot, but sometimes they'd get mixed in with the yote and just kill the yote outright.

Just got back from AZ...two things jump out at me about the yote's out there was that 1) they are all over and 2) they are TINY!

Did you guys know that DONKEY'S are put in herds with sheep/goats in texas to kill yote's? true story!

73Dustr
01-21-2008, 06:17 PM
I was out wthe western portion of south dakota once when some of my uncles friends were hunting yote's...they used tolling dogs to bring the yote's in range and shot them. It was a small Jagd Terrier (think black and tan jack russel with longer legs). Fearless little dog...

...also knew of a guy who'd hunt with airedale terriers (one of my favorite breeds). Most times their job was to "toll" (think "troll") the yote back to shoot, but sometimes they'd get mixed in with the yote and just kill the yote outright.

Just got back from AZ...two things jump out at me about the yote's out there was that 1) they are all over and 2) they are TINY!

Did you guys know that DONKEY'S are put in herds with sheep/goats in texas to kill yote's? true story!

I have heard of that type of hunting. They train the dog to basically go entice coyotes and then the dogs are trained to run back to the hunter. I don't think I'd ever do that. It's one thing for your dog to chase pheasant or quail, but being chased by a pack of coyotes just doesn't sound fun for the dog. I think some guys also run woods with hounds like they do for fox and get coyote that way too. I just stick to calls and maybe a decoy.

Prince Valiant
01-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Most of the tolling, you are getting lone yote's...packing isn't the most common behavior among coyotes. They DO do it, but usually as a response to harsh conditions or lack of easily to kill prey.

DirtyMax
12-11-2008, 10:32 AM
Buddy put two more to rest last night.. within minutes of each other too.

His count is at 3 for the year already.. guess I better get going...

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/jdallard/Hunting/yotedouble.jpg

mrz28M6
12-11-2008, 01:55 PM
jeremy i wanna come with! let me know!

Jsho13
12-11-2008, 02:54 PM
jeremy i wanna come with! let me know!

x2

DirtyMax
12-11-2008, 03:53 PM
We usually go really late at night, like midnight.

SSDude
12-11-2008, 05:04 PM
X3 I'm in
You could start a guide service

DirtyMax
12-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Made an impulse decision at about 10 last night to head out to one of my spots and try a few calling sequences. Nothing doing.

So I drove around the nearby area to check things out... low and behold, there's a good sized one in a field like 75 yards off the road just standing there. Wouldn't you know it...

There was a car coming down this road every 30 seconds or so. Lucky Dog! :devil

DirtyMax
12-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Finally got around to shooting the .17 HMR today. I had a NIB 3-9x40 scope sitting around so I threw it on this rifle and off to McMiller I went. Normally this scope wouldn't even go on anything I owned, especially a varmint gun. but I was anxious to get this rifle ready for cases when the .204 is too "loud"..

After a boresight and some adjusting, I was eating up the bullseye at 25 and 50 yards.

100 yds is a little tough to be accurate with a 3-9x40 but I went out to 100 and stapled up a fresh target anyways because I wanted to know my limitations with this scope when I'm out hunting with it. At 100 yds with a tiny bullet and no spotting scope, I couldn't even see where I was hitting so I just kept shooting until it was time to go get the targets.

This was the result. Given the crosswind and the low magnification of the scope I mounted, I'm pleased with the grouping. At 100 yds. with that scope, just getting the crosshairs into a 2 inch bullseye is enough of a feat, let along trying to drive tacks.

At 100 yds mind you:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/jdallard/Stuff/100_10952.jpg

After seeing the grouping, I'm very impressed with this rifle and think I have to might mount up a higher mag scope in the .17

SSDude
12-15-2008, 08:01 PM
What make is the .17 you bought?
What scope do you like when your yote huntin? use the red spot light at all?

DirtyMax
12-16-2008, 10:06 AM
I bought the Savage Model 93 with the Accu-Trigger and it just has a Simmons 3-9X40 on it that I had laying around (or maybe it came with another gun). At 100 yds, it's pretty much "covering" the bullseye only being a 9 power but from the pics a few posts backm you can see it's going to hit what I soot at inside of 100 even with that scope.

My .204 has a Barska 6-24x42. For being super cheap, it's not a bad scope actually. That being said... I think I might upgrade to a 50mm for the added light gathering capabilities (and then toss that scope on the .17HMR) because overall, I'm happy with that scope.

I have never shined a coyote even though the rules state you can. Usually I don't want to draw any attention to myself.

SmokinRAM114
12-16-2008, 01:42 PM
we use .22-250 for them fawkers. basically can shoot them out my back window 10 at a time. there like ******* seguls out here

DirtyMax
12-16-2008, 02:20 PM
we use .22-250 for them fawkers. basically can shoot them out my back window 10 at a time. there like ******* seguls out here

Killin party at your place! :headbang

SSDude
12-16-2008, 07:11 PM
I was wondering if the Barska scopes were any good. Seen them in a few catalogs but never new anyone who had one.
You had a nice nice group for that scope at 100.
I've got some work to do yet. I'd like to get a scope and A2 mount.

DirtyMax
12-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Oh look.. a fresh blanket of death coming down outside. :devil

SSDude
12-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Plenty more coming through the weekend

SmokinRAM114
12-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Killin party at your place! :headbang

theres 200 acres behind my 10 acre place thats owned by some oil company. almost every night in the summer (windows open) you hear them. never shot any around here but in MN where im leavin to go sat we run them with dogs. ill get some pics next week when im up there running them. with the fresh snow they got it should be good.

DirtyMax
12-24-2008, 07:52 AM
One more Wil'E that won't get to see Christmas....

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t227/jdallard/Hunting/IMG00044.jpg

Breecher_7
12-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Im down for assasination of the yote's. What do you do with them though?

DirtyMax
12-24-2008, 08:42 AM
The hides get tanned and/or sold...

The meat goes to Jalisco's... :goof

Actually... a friend owns a butcher shop so we are able put them in with the other carcasses that are being disposed of.