PDA

View Full Version : Brewers sign Mike Cameron

DirtyMax
01-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Former Gold Glover who isn't getting any younger (35) got a 1 year deal. Has to sit out first 25 games for testing positive for a "banned stimulant". The plan after that is to move Hall to 3rd, Braun to Left.

Sure are alot of 1 year deals being given out by the team this off-season.

Personally, I'd have rather seen them make a play for Pedro Feliz, still moved Braun to LF, and left Hall in CF. The #'s of Feliz and Cameron are comparable. All this movin around can't be helping Hall get comfortable.

STANMAN
01-12-2008, 02:06 AM
Former Gold Glover who isn't getting any younger (35) got a 1 year deal. Has to sit out first 25 games for testing positive for a "banned stimulant". The plan after that is to move Hall to 3rd, Braun to Left.

Sure are alot of 1 year deals being given out by the team this off-season.

Personally, I'd have rather seen them make a play for Pedro Feliz, still moved Braun to LF, and left Hall in CF. The #'s of Feliz and Cameron are comparable. All this movin around can't be helping Hall get comfortable.

I would like to see Gwynn in center, with Braun moving to left, and Hall back to 3rd.

DirtyMax
01-12-2008, 02:11 AM
I would like to see Gwynn in center, with Braun moving to left, and Hall back to 3rd.

I'll give ya that. :thumbsup

Karps TA
01-12-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm not so sure why everyone want to move Braun. Ricky Weeks was horrible at 2nd his first year up and really came around after getting that under his belt.

Now we're moving Hall AGAIN so he has another reason to suck at the plate for an entire year.

I would have put the outfield as Hall, Gywnn, Hart.

This Cameron guy is as streaky as that crapbag Jenkins, except looks like he strikes out even more.

70challenger452
01-12-2008, 09:21 AM

thats what I was thinkin, hall did very well two seasons ago when hardy went down and he played SS. Plus Bill has the strongest arm of all the feild players. Hall back to 3rd!!

wikked
01-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Unfortunately the only thing Gwynn has going for him is his old man's last name.
I don't think he's half as good as Sr. :(

Lash
01-12-2008, 12:10 PM
So how much are they paying Cameron for this 1 year deal?

wikked
01-12-2008, 06:35 PM
if he plays for them one year, the Brewers' financial commitment will be the $1.25 million signing bonus, $4.22 million in actual pay and the $750,000 buyout, which comes to $6.22 million.

Lash
01-12-2008, 06:42 PM
You've got to be effing kidding me...lol.

theavenger333
01-12-2008, 07:05 PM
it goes down below 5 million because he's suspended without pay. Cameron is a very high quality player, hits for power, drives in runs, and steals bases. is one of the best center fielders ever to play the game. i'd prefer an Average hitter, but Cameron will contribute

PB86MCSS
01-12-2008, 07:26 PM
The Brewers need to improve their defense to go along with the revamped bullpen and he does just that. I don't think Hall would be affected going to LF after playing a season in center...moving back to 3B maybe. I still think Braun will end up at 3rd, as long as he shows improvement by or during spring training. Being only a 1 year deal, its not bad, IMO. As long as he stays healthy.

wikked
01-12-2008, 09:27 PM
The Brewers need to improve their defense to go along with the revamped bullpen and he does just that. I don't think Hall would be affected going to LF after playing a season in center...moving back to 3B maybe. I still think Braun will end up at 3rd, as long as he shows improvement by or during spring training. Being only a 1 year deal, its not bad, IMO. As long as he stays healthy.

Braun & Hall have already been told they will be moving.
Hall to 3rd, and Braun to left... dun!

Braun says he is excited about the move, dunno if there was any reaction from Hall yet lol.

PB86MCSS
01-12-2008, 11:36 PM
I still think there might be a chance he sticks to 3B, he sucked so far but hes got the ability and is young so there is a learning curve....in 09' LaPorta will be ready most likely....hes a corner OF, so I guess they'd have to put Hart in CF and Braun in the other corner. It really seems they don't believe in Gwynn...I don't think he'll be a star but deserves a chance as a starter for some team.

brewcity_mach1
01-13-2008, 08:00 AM
im just surprised that they didnt keep coco. i know the reasoning behind it and all. but turnbow hadnt done anything the last 2 seasons and they think he is going to turn around again? they said that the beginning of last season. and whats up with the catching situation. they should have brought up mike rivera instead of signing kendall. and as for gwynn. give him some more playing time and he will step up

theavenger333
01-13-2008, 12:54 PM
im just surprised that they didnt keep coco. i know the reasoning behind it and all. but turnbow hadnt done anything the last 2 seasons and they think he is going to turn around again? they said that the beginning of last season. and whats up with the catching situation. they should have brought up mike rivera instead of signing kendall. and as for gwynn. give him some more playing time and he will step up

1. they signed Gagne, and Riske, both former closers. Turnbow could also have a good season, last season wasn't that bad.
2. it will be Kendall and Rivera. its a platoon. probably going to have Vinny Rottino up this year too, and he can catch.

STANMAN
01-13-2008, 03:57 PM
1. they signed Gagne, and Riske, both former closers. Turnbow could also have a good season, last season wasn't that bad.
2. it will be Kendall and Rivera. its a platoon. probably going to have Vinny Rottino up this year too, and he can catch.

An ERA north of 5 for a closer isn't that bad???

Karps TA
01-13-2008, 04:57 PM
I think most teams know how to handle Turdbow. Just keep your bat on your shoulder. He can't throw strikes, especially not 3 of them. So let him throw wildly until he walks the first guy. Then once you have a guy on base he becomes a complete moron and can't function.

Lash
01-13-2008, 05:16 PM
An ERA north of 5 for a closer isn't that bad???

Yes it is.

PB86MCSS
01-13-2008, 07:59 PM
If Turnbow isn't on, everyone in the park knows after 1-2 pitches. He can't adjust and is a total headcase. When hes on, hes a very good reliever....when he throws a couple high fastballs for balls....he goes nuts or at least can't adjust and walks everyone or throws meatballs, as the other team will just sit on a dead fastball and nothing else. He needs to improve his change and throw that curve for more strikes, IMO. Gagne was dominant with Texas but stunk in Boston, the good thing is the Brewers have options to close with Riske too.....lets just hope it doesn't take half the year to figure out who is the man.

1siksrt
01-15-2008, 11:03 AM
terrible signing.... enough said

wikked
01-15-2008, 02:01 PM
I think most teams know how to handle Turdbow. Just keep your bat on your shoulder. He can't throw strikes, especially not 3 of them. So let him throw wildly until he walks the first guy. Then once you have a guy on base he becomes a complete moron and can't function.

At first I was like :rolf
But then I was like :(

Because it's true.

PB86MCSS
01-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Have to give Melvin & company the benefit of the doubt. Hard to think of many moves that haven't worked out, only the Linebrink trade is questionable, IMO, off the top of my head.

brewcity_mach1
01-17-2008, 08:32 PM
true..! i cant wait to go to a game

VroomPshhTsi
01-29-2008, 02:23 PM
I like Hart in the outfield, long legs + good speed = gets to a lot more balls than the other guys

STANMAN
01-29-2008, 04:35 PM
It should Braun, Gwynn, Hart. Cameron just wasn't needed.

EVIL AWD
02-06-2008, 03:05 PM

So true! Like somebody else mentioned, when Turnbow is "ON" he's good, but when he's not and you usually know it within 2-3 pitches it usually gets ugly real fast. I said this last year and I'll say it again....Bring Turnbow in hoping he is "ON" but after he walks that first batter you have got to pull him right away. If they do that, I think we can work with Turnbow.

As for Cameron, I'm not so sure he was necessary, but it's only a one-year deal and he may have a good year, you never know. Let's see what happens.

GO BREWERS!

RYanD03
03-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Cameron is an old man. Maybe he's just there as a mentor to the younger guys.

wikked
03-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Cameron is an old man. Maybe he's just there as a mentor to the younger guys.

That actually is a big part of it... although he is tearing it up this spring, I'm impressed.

Lash
03-22-2008, 10:10 PM
That actually is a big part of it... although he is tearing it up this spring, I'm impressed.

He always does good early....then falls off.

DirtyMax
04-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Well I know it was just one game, but Cameron really seemed to be a welcome addition tonight.

Smokey1226
04-30-2008, 12:03 AM
He always does good early....then falls off.

That can be said about the Brewer team over the last 3 years. Last year....best team in the league for the first month....then fell off.

Year before that, same thing one of the top Winning teams in the first couple months then struggle to get to .500

They need to save Sheets, make a deal to get Cordero back (i wish), and keep the bats hot at all times.

VroomPshhTsi
05-01-2008, 04:35 PM
booyah, Brewers take the series against the Cubs again!!!

Ryan Braun FTW

Karps TA
06-04-2008, 11:41 AM
So are we sure Gwynn Jr couldn't have done atleast what Cameron has done so far? The guy is a strike out machine. If it wasn't for him missing 25 games to start the year he'd have 75 strike outs already.

wikked
06-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Cameron has 45 K's in 127 at-bats... so, 2.8% of his at-bats are whiffs.

Gwynn has 6 K's in 35 at-bats... 5.8%

Sure Gwynn doesn't have that many at-bats... but he gets caught looking way too much. Trying too hard to be his dad.

Branyan on the other hand... it's either K or HR :rolf

Karps TA
06-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Then let's stick with Kapler. Either way we paid alot of money for Cameron and he hasn't produced jack crap so far.

wikked
06-04-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm all for Kapler!
Everytime he plays he makes a diving catch, and produces.