PDA

View Full Version : sled repair advice needed

u_say_go
01-10-2008, 05:58 PM
hey guys, need some advice on repairing my beater a$$ sled. 1988 Polaris Indy Trail.

Under acceleration I could hear what sounded like a serious case of the track ratcheting, I checked the track and it's sagging really bad- like 3 inches or so. I also checked the chaincase and found the chain very loose, so i tightened that.
The problem I'm having is, the track adjustment bolts are bent. Not sure of the correct names for the parts, so bare with me.....The axle housing that the adjustment bolt is supposed push on to create tension is actually resting on top of the adjustment bolts on both sides. I went to remove the wheels in the back and they're stuck big time. I could remove the bolt on one side, but the wheel wouldnt budge. I sprayed it down with some Kroil lubricating spray...no luck. When I tried loosening the other wheel, the bolt just spins with the axle.

Any suggestions on how to get the wheels off?

juicedimpss
01-10-2008, 06:01 PM
usually need to hit them with an impact to spin them off,i always locktite those.

70 cutlass 442
01-10-2008, 06:29 PM
usually need to hit them with an impact to spin them off,i always locktite those.

x2, they like to come off otherwise.

u_say_go
01-10-2008, 06:41 PM
thanks Ron and Jon.
you guys think that the tension adjuster will take up 2 inches of slack in that track?

70 cutlass 442
01-10-2008, 06:44 PM
should take up close to that, depends how far out its adjusted already, one other thing that i would check if i were you is the lower driveshaft bearing in the chain case. 99% chance that it is fine, but about 5 years ago when i still had my 91 wedge, the bearing went out which cause the chain tension and the track tention to goto hell. good luck:thumbsup

70challenger
01-10-2008, 07:39 PM
it should take up the two inches that u need. for all those suspension bolts, use an impactto get tje bolts out and locktite everything after ur done.

u_say_go
01-10-2008, 10:29 PM
I hit the bolt with an impact, the bolt and the shaft it's attached to just spun. The other wheel I can get the bolt off, but not the wheel. Tomorrow I'm bustin' out the rubber mallet and going to town!
I'll keep ya'll posted

70 cutlass 442
01-10-2008, 11:02 PM
put a ratchet on the other wheel, it will spin til you get tention on teh ratchet, you may need to grab the shaft with something to keep that from spinning with you get the one wheel off.

u_say_go
01-11-2008, 10:54 PM
the wheels are NOT coming off, they're on that shaft forever. I drilled out the rivets that were holding the adjustment block, just took the block and bolt out together.
Jon, do you have these in stock? I checked Dennis Kirk and they dont even have this listed.....

Jason

70challenger
01-12-2008, 03:33 AM
talk to jon for parts or ive been going to hartwigs in johnsons creek for polaris parts. they have everything in stock and are VERY knowledgable and take the time to help u out