PDA

View Full Version : Salt?

STANMAN
01-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Would anyone pull their car out because of the last couple days of rain and think the roads have no salt? There is a guy by my work who has 2 vehicles, a Jeep Liberty for rain and winter, and an ACR Viper for summer. I saw the Viper in the lot today, the guy is NUTS in my mind. Opinions?

michelle
01-09-2008, 04:47 PM
They put down a bunch of salt/sand last night around here because it's supposed to stay under freezing again and everything is still so wet from the rain, melting, and flooding.

So yes, the guy is nuts. Although on New Year's Eve, I saw a Viper driving around Hubertus. I guess if you don't care, you just don't care.

Heat Seeker WS6
01-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Is he really going to have the car long enough to care?

STANMAN
01-09-2008, 04:51 PM
They put down a bunch of salt/sand last night around here because it's supposed to stay under freezing again and everything is still so wet from the rain, melting, and flooding.

So yes, the guy is nuts. Although on New Year's Eve, I saw a Viper driving around Hubertus. I guess if you don't care, you just don't care.

I think it's more if you have enough $$$$$$ you just don't care, lol. Like if I had a Viper I would treat it like gold, because it would be a pretty big chunck of change. I think alot of other Viper owners don't even think of the $$$$$:rolf

STANMAN
01-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Is he really going to have the car long enough to care?

Not if he keeps driving it in winter he won't. He'll end up sideways on the freeway smashing into the guard rail. Hmmmmmm, sounds familiar to me.

Heat Seeker WS6
01-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Im sure he's not running DR's though :goof

STANMAN
01-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Im sure he's not running DR's though :goof

I will have to look next time I see it:rolf

Beagle
01-09-2008, 05:04 PM
well cosidering the rain that we got by me and around here i already had my car out earlier today. there is very little salt and all i did was take it for a spin put some air in the tires and took it to the car wash. granted that i drove it less than a mile to those place and back.

Yooformula
01-09-2008, 05:08 PM
the car isnt going to melt. I was going to take mine out for a cruise but I ddint have time.

Prince Valiant
01-09-2008, 05:13 PM
meh...took the coronet to get some gas (never got a chance to top it off b/f the snow fell...

Ice was all over the place on the nieghborhood streets today, so I wasn't too worried about there being a ton of salt out.

But don't forget cars that rust get nearly daily exposure to salt dust/water during the winters for years before they actually do rust. The coronet certainly saw it's fair share of maine winters and yet it's done quite well...so I'm not too worried about two miles of driving on dry roads, after days of rain and run-off having any significant effect on the car. And was it fun to drive too...

...it just sucked getting the it ready for such a short trip (remove jackstands, put battery back in, etc) and then doing pretty much the same thing afterward. Let it run for about a 1/2 hour to boil off any moisture in the crankcase.

Breecher_7
01-09-2008, 05:15 PM
the car isnt going to melt. I was going to take mine out for a cruise but I ddint have time.

This is the truth, there is no snow on the road and the remaining salt isnt going to "kill" your car. Id drive it ever day I could, whats the point of having it otherwise. I dont keep my cars more then a year or two at the most before I get bored and move on so I wouldnt care anyways. Fact is though with all the composite materials and alloys used on vehicles now adays, salt really isnt that big of an issue anyways.

GRNDNL
01-09-2008, 07:15 PM
They salted in Hartland this morning.......

PonyKiller87
01-09-2008, 07:44 PM
roads seem pretty clean here in cudahy, Im planning on taking the car out tonight to run it through the car wash.

FYI the touchless car wash on Rawson and Howell is awesome, no stupid metal thing that you have to drive the wheel into it uses light beams

GRAMPS SS
01-09-2008, 07:48 PM
i had the ROLLS out today....no problemo...

GHOSST
01-09-2008, 07:55 PM
He'll prolly take the pressure wash to the underbody

SSDude
01-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Took the velle out for a half mile ride around the neighborhood tonight. Most streets in stallis are salt free from all the rain and are dry now.
No salt, No water, No problem:banana1:

moels
01-09-2008, 08:05 PM
The only reason I don't drive mine in winter is I have another car to drive and I don't have to. The snow and salt and everything else only causes rust if you don't clean the car good every once in a while. The thing I would worry about is dings from salt flying up from other cars or some asshat losing control and hitting me. I like my car and the cars on this site, but most really don't need to be stored for winter, it is just done by owner choice.

Slow Joe
01-09-2008, 08:11 PM
My car's never seen winter from the best of my understanding... So I'm not going to be the one to put it through that... :rolf

Reverend Cooper
01-09-2008, 08:19 PM
mine will never see snow or salt,its barely ever been rained on

GHOSST
01-09-2008, 08:20 PM
The only reason I don't drive mine in winter is I have another car to drive and I don't have to. The snow and salt and everything else only causes rust if you don't clean the car good every once in a while. The thing I would worry about is dings from salt flying up from other cars or some asshat losing control and hitting me. I like my car and the cars on this site, but most really don't need to be stored for winter, it is just done by owner choice.
I dont have a choice, only car, DD. But now I guess I am in NC, so no snow, yay. But normally I would only have the 'maro only until I found a good winter beater..and you know how that goes come round winter.. but luckily the only time this one has seen snow was when it got towed 2 blocks to a new storage spot in winter before I had the time to bring in down here to NC...fun.

moels
01-09-2008, 08:29 PM
mine will never see snow or salt,its barely ever been rained on

And I can say the same Coop, but my point was that we do that because we choose to, not because our cars would go to shit in 2 months. Everyday you can see $60k and up cars out on the road in winter and they stand up to the conditions for years. Now if you plan to keep the car for 20 years in mint condition with low miles, I would obvioulsy recommend storing and pampering it.

Slow Joe
01-09-2008, 08:32 PM
And I can say the same Coop, but my point was that we do that because we choose to, not because our cars would go to shit in 2 months. Everyday you can see $60k and up cars out on the road in winter and they stand up to the conditions for years. Now if you plan to keep the car for 20 years in mint condition with low miles, I would obvioulsy recommend storing and pampering it.

My feelings exactly... I just wish I had a garage to put mine in when it's back here...

Oh well, time to move again so I've got a garage... :durr :rolf

Reverend Cooper
01-09-2008, 08:46 PM
i agree metal in cars is treated much better these days.

Rocket Power
01-09-2008, 09:52 PM
I saw two guys on bikes today :wow

JC70SS
01-09-2008, 10:41 PM
I saw a 69 Charger today by the town of Brookfield Police dept. As for the viper, it is all plastic. Drive it. I have seen plenty of C6's out 3 weeks ago between snows.

Cryptic
01-09-2008, 10:48 PM
i had the ROLLS out today....no problemo...

tuck your shirt in

CATNHAT
01-09-2008, 10:50 PM
I took my Roush out today, put about 50 miles on it.

I look at it like this- It is a CAR, thats all, it can be replaced. I bought it to enjoy it, to drive it, and to have fun it in it. Not to worship it.

I just buried my grandmother on monday and that put a lot in perspective for me.

I save my worshipping for the Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Take your car out and enjoy it whenever you can.

Reverend Cooper
01-09-2008, 10:54 PM
wow dude sorry to hear that, i enjoy my car alot. i just may enjoy it in different ways then others

Yooformula
01-09-2008, 11:09 PM
very sorry to hear about your grandmother.

PonyKiller87
01-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Just got back in from my ride to the car wash, went from about Layton and pennsiylvannia to 27th and layton to wash it then back, and it was still clean with no salt spray on it when I got it back in the garage.

70challenger
01-10-2008, 03:04 AM
theres no salt (as far as ive seen) in waukesha area, and i took my bro's prochared challenger around the business park after work.

Z28Roxy
01-10-2008, 06:14 AM
Was really wanting to take mine out for a spin yesterday as I drove by a bunch of houses, saw all the lawns, it damn near looked like spring again (very green, except for the broadleaf trees of course). I'm too chicken though unless it went another week or two without salting, but that's not going to happen :crying

Moparjim
01-10-2008, 07:11 AM
Nothing of mine worth more than a few grand comes out basically from first snow/salt until after winter like April or whenver it has rained a good half a dozen times and has absolutely no chance of snowing/salting again. Salt absolutely destroys your car.

jbiscuit
01-10-2008, 07:47 AM
too risky if you ask me. Sure we all miss our cars but I just couldn't chance it