PDA

View Full Version : Need: 4L80E Rebuild

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Pretty simple I have a 4L80E in a 97 3500 Cab n' Chassis that I need rebuilt, curently it doesnt want to shift properly out of first and also does some free reving stuff, no trouble codes or electrical glitches seem probable. Its in a 12,000 pound truck with a 350 gas 180k miles.
The trans was very neglected.

I want to bring you a transmission and cash and a week later pick up the trans that is going to work the first time around. I cant change the trans on my lift so I only want to take it out and put it in once.
So if you can or know someone who can rebuild this POS for me I would be much appreciative.
Im not looking for a million mile warranty just someone who can rebuild a trans right the first time for a reasonalbe rate without all the rig-a-ma-role that the trans shoppes want me to go thru before they can say "yea its junk, it needs rebuilt"

Thanks.

70 cutlass 442
01-09-2008, 01:49 PM
J&R transmission on 6th and cleveland. Sounds hood, and it is but hes done 4 transmisisons for us and he give you a 12K/1 year warranty. even if you install yourself you just drive your truck there and he inspects and signs off on the warranty, plus hes extremly reasonable.

juicedimpss
01-09-2008, 01:55 PM
also give andy a call
708-804-2199

Russ Jerome
01-09-2008, 06:36 PM
curently it doesnt want to shift properly out of first and also does some free reving stuff, no trouble codes or electrical glitches seem probable.

Make sure you have a good solid harness connection before
driving your new trans any period of time. Input and output
state of turbine sensors (make sure you get new ones with
the person who rebuilds it) in the 4L80E will cause flair and
goofy shifting often with no codes. Make sure your rebuilder
installs newer solenoids if it does'nt have updated ones in
there. Replace that trans cooler, flush those lines...not just
compressed air, solvent flush.

The quality of the rebuild on that trans depends on what you
spend, that thing can be built VERY stout or simply repaired
to work for a while.

Memphis
01-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Great Lakes Transmission ask for John. Hes been building my trans for over 15 years, NEVER a problem. 414-771-9441.

lotsals1
01-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Pretty simple I have a 4L80E in a 97 3500 Cab n' Chassis that I need rebuilt, curently it doesnt want to shift properly out of first and also does some free reving stuff, no trouble codes or electrical glitches seem probable. Its in a 12,000 pound truck with a 350 gas 180k miles.
The trans was very neglected.

I want to bring you a transmission and cash and a week later pick up the trans that is going to work the first time around. I cant change the trans on my lift so I only want to take it out and put it in once.
So if you can or know someone who can rebuild this POS for me I would be much appreciative.
Im not looking for a million mile warranty just someone who can rebuild a trans right the first time for a reasonalbe rate without all the rig-a-ma-role that the trans shoppes want me to go thru before they can say "yea its junk, it needs rebuilt"

Thanks.
does it make any whine or crunching ---most of the time when the first to second goes out its the planet set or sun shell.Expect to pay at least 1800 ish --I've done a ton of 4l60's but only 1 4l80 about 2 years ago

DocDave
01-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Great Lakes Transmission ask for John. Hes been building my trans for over 15 years, NEVER a problem. 414-771-9441.

I second that vote. They fixed the one in my 98 GMC pickup when it went at 50K. It's been great since, coming up on 100K with the truck.

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks guys I am going to explore the options presented here.