PDA

View Full Version : Some info on Hyundai's new RWD luxo-barge sedan

6forwardgears
01-08-2008, 01:50 PM
http://www.crankshafted.com/upload/files/13/genesis2.gif

http://www.crankshafted.com/upload/files/13/hyundai-genesis-01.jpg

Looks plain, but it seems like a great deal. I guess they will be going for about 35k for the V8 version. Who would have thought Hyundai would ever have a fairly bad ass DOHC 4.6 V8 under the hood?

hrsp
01-08-2008, 01:52 PM
need more pics...does look really plain though...

6forwardgears
01-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Here's a link for more pics:

http://www.speed-driven.com/latest/hyundai-genesis-sedan-first-official-photos.html

http://www.crankshafted.com/upload/files/13/hyundai-genesis-new-grill.jpg

Myles
01-08-2008, 01:58 PM
The drivetrain is the only interesting thing about that car.

6forwardgears
01-08-2008, 02:00 PM

Yeah, but for the crowd that is interested in comfy and powerful sedans, it could be a really nice alternative to the other cars in its class.

Myles
01-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Yeah, but for the crowd that is interested in comfy and powerful sedans, it could be a really nice alternative to the other cars in its class.

True, but it doesn't look appealing thats the problem. I don't know if many of the owners are going to change over to a car that feels cheaper or doesn't look as good.

Karps TA
01-08-2008, 02:04 PM
A Camry doesn't look appealing either and they sell tons of those things.

The biggest problem with Hyundai is almost everyone I know who buys one can't stand it in a year. But they depreciate so fast your stuck in the damn thing for 3-4 years before you can even think about getting rid of it.

Myles
01-08-2008, 02:06 PM
A Camry doesn't look appealing either and they sell tons of those things.

The biggest problem with Hyundai is almost everyone I know who buys one can't stand it in a year. But they depreciate so fast your stuck in the damn thing for 3-4 years before you can even think about getting rid of it.

I guess you have a point there. We shall see how well it does when it comes out.

Prince Valiant
01-08-2008, 02:06 PM
I'd think it'd be cheaper...they'd probably want to do as they did when they broke into the US market in the first place, undercut the prices of their competitors to get their foot in the door.

At 35G, it'd still be more expensive than either the charger or 300 sedan's with v8's...and the 300 would be likely a direct competitor as a near-luxury vehicle.

Yooformula
01-08-2008, 02:07 PM
A friend of mine has a new Sonata and I was very impressed with it for the money and options so I bet this might be a very nice car.

Flight_740
01-08-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm impressed. Just curious what the ride is like. I hate to say it but we really needed a budget "highline" to be offered. People want all the toys these days but can only afford cheap. Not a bad buy for someone that would keep it till warranty is out. 100,000 miles with hyundai? If this warranty is applied to this car, it might make sense.

Z28Roxy
01-08-2008, 02:30 PM

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/customavatars/avatar973_9.gif

Deggy
01-08-2008, 02:32 PM
i kinda like it, minus the front grill.

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-08-2008, 03:05 PM
I guess the mesh grille one looks ok for a "blah-zay" cookie cutter daily driver throwaway.
Still would never own one.
I do find the 4 piston calipers and ZF trans to be interesting bits.

pickardracing
01-08-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm still not convinced that this car can realistically compete with it's target market competitors over the long haul.

Let's be real here. Every Hyundai I've ever seen blows oil at 40K, suffers from lack of quality interior parts, everyhting falls off of them, and their value falls faster than Rosie O'Donnell off of the Brooklyn Bridge.

They might steal a few up-front warranty buyers, but I can assure you they won't do anything past the initial OMG NEW CAR stage.

Yooformula
01-08-2008, 03:56 PM
I kinda agree but with so many people leasing these days, who cars how long they last. Usually by the time the lease ends, the new car stage has just ended anyways. The grill HAS to go imo.

formul8
01-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Looks very Lexus LS-ish...

Just wait a year after they come out and scoop a used one up for 50% off MSRP.

pickardracing
01-08-2008, 04:24 PM
I kinda agree but with so many people leasing these days, who cars how long they last. Usually by the time the lease ends, the new car stage has just ended anyways. The grill HAS to go imo.

Reliability and longevity play a big part in residual values so I dont entirely agree there.

Philly-O
01-08-2008, 05:39 PM
i cant believe i am about to say this....but i like it. now excuse me while i go punch myself repeatedly in the face.

Mudd Runner
01-08-2008, 06:03 PM
I was actually goin to go look into these when they came out but for the price i could just go get somthing more my style like a fx4 f-150

Deggy
01-08-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm still not convinced that this car can realistically compete with it's target market competitors over the long haul.

Let's be real here. Every Hyundai I've ever seen blows oil at 40K, suffers from lack of quality interior parts, everyhting falls off of them, and their value falls faster than Rosie O'Donnell off of the Brooklyn Bridge.

They might steal a few up-front warranty buyers, but I can assure you they won't do anything past the initial OMG NEW CAR stage.

i agree with you, my mom owns a 2001 Sante Fe. Nothing but problems from practically day one. The warranties they do have don't cover anything past a certain miles, which is to be expected. My moms paint started to fade away due to bad primer (found that out from a family friend in the body shop biz), and they only covered paint within 30k, and the car was just over 30k about 32,xxx if i had to esimate. So far needed to get since she has owned that car is new window regulator, two new cats, new tranny (that was covered under warranty)...im pretty sure their is more...but the car has really been nothing but problems...maybe the newer models have those problems fixed.

Slow Joe
01-08-2008, 06:37 PM

Can you even lease a Hyundai? I've never heard of any "lease deals" on new hyundais... Their biggest problem is that they depreciate so fast that the monthly payment on a lease would suck...

Deggy
01-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Can you even lease a Hyundai? I've never heard of any "lease deals" on new hyundais... Their biggest problem is that they depreciate so fast that the monthly payment on a lease would suck...

my moms 2001 was orignially a lease.

slow90z
01-10-2008, 12:37 AM
Id buy one, but then again i work on the things. The newer ones, like 06 and up are quite a bit better built/quality. Except for the cheap interior plastic. But the driveline (quality/power) does seem to be improved on the newer ones. And btw deggy, youre mothers santa fe has the 2.4l which is a bastard mitsu/hyundai joint engine that was a can of worms from day one.

Deggy
01-10-2008, 09:13 AM
And btw deggy, youre mothers santa fe has the 2.4l which is a bastard mitsu/hyundai joint engine that was a can of worms from day one.

Haha, thanks for the information....Glad I didn't finish her lease off for her and use that as a winter beater.