PDA

View Full Version : F-ing books

PB86MCSS
09-03-2003, 10:52 PM
First day back to class, have 4 of them today, and price out books for all 4 classes....total will be over $600! .

Guess Ill sell one of my cars to help pay for them :rolleyes: :goof .

Ive never paid more than $350 a semester, this is just crazy. Damn school(UWM) is raping students...sorry but just had to vent somewhere. :fire

Rocket Power
09-03-2003, 10:56 PM
I hear ya. Back when I first went back to school(94) I bought new books for $40-60 ea and when I went back for a class in 01 it's was $65-80 for a used one. I am only a tech college guy though:goof

BlownMe
09-03-2003, 11:07 PM
Trustme man, I feel your pain. I paid about 500 for books this semester at UWM myself. Maybe i'll see ya around and we can discuss how broke we are!:goof

Prince Valiant
09-03-2003, 11:12 PM
My final semester b/f graduation I had to take 23.5 credits to graduate...many of the classes had standard text's as well as some required reading. My total that semester ran over 900 dollars :(

Anakonda69
09-04-2003, 01:28 AM
i'll stick with my one class a semster for a grand total of $45....lol for book anyway

SSScottSS
09-04-2003, 01:42 AM
I don't go to school anymore, but I understand how you guys feel. In my opinion, the school system is just ripping off the students. They change the books for a course every two years weather they need to or not. Like a math book has any significant changes, or most others for that matter. The only books that would need updating that often is a computer class, or perhaps some business books.
I remember going to get books for my courses, and if you werent there at the crack of dawn, all the used books would be sold out, and I would be forced to buy new. Then at the end of the semester, when I would go to sell them back.....sorry, that book has been discontinued and we won't be using it anymore.

Just a big giant scam.

93RedDevilZ28
09-04-2003, 06:16 AM
I don't know if you have tried this, but some books you can buy for cheaper on-line.

I remember last year I bought my chem. book for $55 new on Amazon.com and the used chem. books at our bookstore were $85!

Ever since last year I have been trying to borrow books as much as possible and it has worked out pretty good thus far.

animal
09-04-2003, 08:16 AM
I lucked out. my final 2 years at UWM only cost me about $400 in books total. I guess that's the nice part when you write programs all day :D

The other classes (non major). I had older friends in my major, so I either had their old books, or I just borrowed books most the time and made some copies of the pages that were relevant.

That whole buying my books thing fell apart for me when I bought a chemistry book for 90 bones, and a week after the no return date he informed the class that he was teaching from a different book. Later that semester, I had this book that was never opened, that I bought brand new for $90, and since there was an even newer version the bookstore wouldn't give me d1ck for it.

That was just the end of that bs for me. I pity you guys that have to buy the books though. Talk about an a$$ raping.

PB86MCSS
09-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Glad some feel my pain and can relate hehe.

I have borrowed books from friends before but this semester but classes Im in now none of my friends have had before. I cant imagine the markup on the books they get.

Well gotta go, and get a few of the books today so I can start learning I guess :rolleyes: . Ill check into Amazon.com too.

sachin528
09-04-2003, 04:47 PM
Im so happy. Got a $300 credit for books cause I got ripped off in a class last semester.

Had 2 out of the 5 books.

Got a grant (3k) that is covering tuition (1720) (well I will get $ back, too)
and there is another $1000 for workstudy. :D
This rocks.

I had to buy 1 book (35) and I bought cause it was 90 used at the bookstore. Now I get more money back. WOOHOO :thumbsup