PDA

View Full Version : 12 GA. Rust/ Pitting removal help.

Firefighter Z
01-07-2008, 08:05 PM
I aquired a Mossberg 12 GA. from my father that bought it for me out of the blue.

Well the barrel is a little bit rusty/ pitted on the outside and I was wondering what I can use remove the rust and the pitting?

I've seen that I could use a Blueing/ Rust removing kit, but I understand it could be tricky if you don't know what your doing.

It doesn't look like the barrel would be need to be resurfaced.
In and outside of the chamber is fine.

STANMAN
01-07-2008, 08:28 PM
I aquired a Mossberg 12 GA. from my father that bought it for me out of the blue.

Well the barrel is a little bit rusty/ pitted on the outside and I was wondering what I can use remove the rust and the pitting?

I've seen that I could use a Blueing/ Rust removing kit, but I understand it could be tricky if you don't know what your doing.

It doesn't look like the barrel would be need to be resurfaced.
In and outside of the chamber is fine.

Flitz Metal polish and a good quality oil to dilute it with. Should work wonders. It will take it down to bare metal though, as the rust has eaten away the phosphate finish (or blueing if it's an older Mossy). You can TRY a blue touch up pen, but I never liked the look. Just keep the area well oiled and use it as is!!

USMARINE1108
01-07-2008, 08:40 PM
OOOgr steel wool and some CLP will remove light rust. You could even use a clean soft rag and some CLP depending on how much rust there is.

Breecher_7
01-07-2008, 08:46 PM
You can blast the barrel with a fine media as well then refinnish it.

MurphysLaw88GT
01-07-2008, 09:03 PM
parkerize it....

Firefighter Z
01-08-2008, 04:18 PM
I really dont wanna refinish the barrel... But I guess Im going to have to check into it though.

Firefighter Z
01-13-2008, 09:29 AM
I got my refinishing kit at Gander Mountain but I also found my barrel for my Mossberg 12GA 500. They wanted $220.00 for just the damn barrel with 2 chokes... So I checked out the shotguns and I found my same gun for $259.00 I'm like WTF.

Anyone knows some private dealers? There used to be one in South Milwaukee that had his business in the basement, his nake was Kenoyer (sp?)