PDA

View Full Version : noob with a wisconsin registration question

wrath
01-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Yeap, I'm new. I'm a Michiganian transplant.

In Michigan you can register damn near anything and get plates. The difficult part is getting insurance. So if you can get something insured... you can get plates. If your vehicle is plated just about anywhere you go you can park it in your yard as a lawn ornament as long as you mow around it once in a while. Some ga(y)ted communities and whatnot will dictate how much is in your fleet but normal people don't live in places like that.

In Michigan, chances are if you've modified the vehicle they won't give you much if you wreck it. But I don't care, I just want personal liability/property damage. I'll get my money out of whoever wrecked my crap rather than the insurance company.

There are no emissions. Wayne/Macomb/Oakland counties (Detroit area) did away with their emissions years ago. They figured out that ticketing the crap out of people's stinky cars (which are usually unsafe in other ways) is a more lucrative and easily managed way of getting rid of polluting automobiles with no overhead. Probably why M59 in Detroit on a summer day smells less like Gary, Indiana that downtown Milwaukee does on an average day. It seems Wisconsin emissions testing as one of their many tax-the-snot-out-of-you methods.

It looks like WI law says that anything built after 1968 needs to pass emissions and get a vehicle inspection. So my favorite loophole won't work as nothing I have is that old. It also looks like there are vehicle inspections. So not only do they plug it into the OBDI/OBDII port, sniff it, and visually inspect it... they then put it on a dyno. Well, I can probably cheat and fool any onboard diagnostics testing that they do. I can probably even get it to pass the sniffer test with some bolt-on cats. But I'm certain no granola eater will pass most of my crap on visual inspection.

I've been trolling here for about 4 months now looking at all the unique automobiles. I see a lot of you have things that I don't think would pass the IM240 test and probably not visual either.

So, are there any loopholes I don't know about? Maybe picking a county to live in that doesn't require testing? I'm blessed with living in Waukesha right now.

Breecher_7
01-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Walworth and Dodge counties do not have emissions testing to name a few and as far as I know, there is no "visual" inspection at any of the emissions testing stations.

Crawlin
01-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Depends on the vehicle. Alot of the people on here have '96 and newer vehicles that have OBD2. They don't require a roller test, just the plug and play bullshit, and with the amount of tuning software out there to get RID of those codes, it's easy as hell.

now for the later model vehicles, 25years and older i think, you have the option of doing a test once and then getting a collector car or hobbyist plate and never having to worry about emmissions again. that might be another choice for you.

then like Breecher said, some of the counties do not require emmission testing, and some have been able to put a housing address in a testing county, but the car "storage" area in a non-testing area and never worry about emmissions either.

pickardracing
01-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Manitowoc County - no emissions.

Firefighter Z
01-07-2008, 04:41 PM
I thought the state was going to do any older than a 1995 that they are not going to bother with emmissions?

wrath
01-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Hah, found it.

Where tests are required

Emission tests are required on automobiles and on trucks with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight less than 10,000 pounds that are customarily kept in the Wisconsin counties of:

* Kenosha
* Milwaukee
* Ozaukee
* Racine
* Sheboygan
* Washington
* Waukesha

So I need to live in Dodge or Jefferson county to avoid emissions. Are there any loopholes in Waukesha county?

The vehicle that'll be the biggest problem as far as visual inspection goes is the one in my avatar (plated in Michigan as a 1987 R10 [1/2 ton] 2wd longbox fleetside with a 305V8 and a 700R4). It's got a 350 and a SM465 in it. And it's not 2wd. And there are zero emissions equipment on it.

MurphysLaw88GT
01-07-2008, 05:00 PM
I thought the state was going to do any older than a 1995 that they are not going to bother with emmissions?

getting warmer

michelle
01-07-2008, 05:03 PM
During the registration process, you will see a spot where it asks what county the vehicle is kept in. Simply put a county that is not on the above list and you are set. The '90 is registered in Walworth County (I also go to school and currently live in Walworth County, so I am all good anyways). They don't verify that it is in that county and you will still get all future registration materials at the address you put down (which doesn't need to be in the county you listed).

You can also look into Hobbyist plates (http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/personal/special/hobbyist.htm) as well. Not exactly sure what the requirements are, but I think they are the basic exhaust, seat belts, headlights/taillights, and turn signals. There easily could be more, but I would also look into that.

885.0stang
01-07-2008, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=michelle;317199]During the registration process, you will see a spot where it asks what county the vehicle is kept in. Simply put a county that is not on the above list and you are set. The '90 is registered in Walworth County (I also go to school and currently live in Walworth County, so I am all good anyways). They don't verify that it is in that county and you will still get all future registration materials at the address you put down (which doesn't need to be in the county you listed).

they are starting to crack down on that and have been saying that the mailing address is the county its registered in. couple of my buddies had that happen. but not me.:headbang

michelle
01-07-2008, 05:18 PM
they are starting to crack down on that and have been saying that the mailing address is the county its registered in. couple of my buddies had that happen. but not me.:headbang

Well, that's good to know in the future when I move out of Walworth County.

pashtrd
01-07-2008, 05:19 PM
you have to pass an emission test in order to get hobbiest plates on anything newer than 1968.

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Best bet is what was mentioned above about "vehicle is kept in county of": XXXX. You use your home mailing address and everything is mailed there, you just dont go to emissions. :D
As far as I know we do not have ~vehicle inspections~.
My catless Cobra passes emissions fine, even emitting raw unburned gas fumes in the test bay. And my catless Cherokee has Farm plates, no emissions $24.50 a year :)
You came from SE MI ?

wrath
01-07-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm from the Flint/Lansing area. I'm pretty familiar with Detroit though. I lived in the western Upper Peninsula (5.5 hours north of Milwaukee) for 7 years. Hence the big dumb mud truck on 44s.

Note: For residents of Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Sheboygan, Waukesha and Washington counties, until July 1, 2008, an emission test is required within 45 days of the date that a Hobbyist plate is issued, if the vehicle is a 1968 or newer.

Does that mean if I register it after July 1st I don't have to get an emissions test? If so, sign me up. I'll put some 31" rubber on, throw on some mudflaps, fill up the windshield washer bottle, and let 'er rip. It even has bi-tone horns.

I can probably use a friend's address in Fond du Lac or Oshkosh if needed to register it. But if I can avoid circumventing the law I'll do it.

Karps TA
01-07-2008, 07:29 PM
The best thing about Hobbyist plates is it's a one time donation to the State. So you don't have that yearly bill.

I registered mine out of county for a couple years then applied for the Hobbyist plates to that out of country address. So never had to take it to emissions. They even sent my plates to my Waukesha address not the registered address. lol

GHOSST
01-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Maybe hes some DMV or Police or State related person trying finding out who scams the system of WI... and how they do it!!! :D J/p... or maybe not.

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Note: For residents of Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Sheboygan, Waukesha and Washington counties, until July 1, 2008, an emission test is required within 45 days of the date that a Hobbyist plate is issued, if the vehicle is a 1968 or newer.

It may in fact be that case that these autos will no longer be required to pass an emission test as the government eliminates emission testing on the automobiles requiring the use of the chassis dynos. Which I believe is slated for this year. :thumbsup
Only testing OBD-2 cars from there on out.

WickedSix
01-07-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm from the Flint/Lansing area. I'm pretty familiar with Detroit though. I lived in the western Upper Peninsula (5.5 hours north of Milwaukee) for 7 years. Hence the big dumb mud truck on 44s.

Does that mean if I register it after July 1st I don't have to get an emissions test? If so, sign me up. I'll put some 31" rubber on, throw on some mudflaps, fill up the windshield washer bottle, and let 'er rip. It even has bi-tone horns.

I can probably use a friend's address in Fond du Lac or Oshkosh if needed to register it. But if I can avoid circumventing the law I'll do it.

mind your manners when riding around on 44's tho.....they are technichally illegal .... in wis a truck can have a tire with a 4" larger radius maximum
guessing that would put u right around a 40" tire ... and the lift law is technically 4" maximum..... but there are plenty running around...

might want to look into farm truck plates as well :thumbsup little more lienant about what is ok

88Nightmare
01-07-2008, 10:46 PM
do what michelle said. Ive been doing it for years, never had a problem.

Rhiannon
01-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Mine are registered in Clark county.

MurphysLaw88GT
01-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Vehicles that are now recently registered and have a descrepincy in mailing address/county kept in location now are "flagged" in the DOT computers.....one of a handful of State investigators may drop by the mailing address with a camera and take a picture (usually in the wee hours of the morning), this will be repeated over a period of time. Said investigator can leave a card under the windshield wiper. Then the letters in the mail start. It sucks but is happening. This is why I stress keep the car /truck kept "out of county" inside a garage. Then there is nothing to photo...
Again, most people will not have a problem, but there are the unlucky few.

MurphysLaw88GT
01-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Note: an emission test is required within 45 days of the date that a Hobbyist plate is issued, if the vehicle is a 1968 or newer.

It may in fact be that case that these autos will no longer be required to pass an emission test as the government eliminates emission testing on the automobiles requiring the use of the chassis dynos. Which I believe is slated for this year. :thumbsup
Only testing OBD-2 cars from there on out.

true

stenchmiester
01-07-2008, 11:15 PM
onieda and waushara here

ffvetteman
01-08-2008, 07:59 AM
They are getting rid of the emissions tests for 95 and older cars in the near future. I think later this year. Dont register it until then.

Or look into another county to buy a house. I just bought a house in Jefferson county, so when I get the house done and register all my cars out there, then I would not have to take them through emissions anyway.

If you are not able or willing to move, I would wait to register it if it is not a daily driver or needed for now.

SmokinRAM114
01-08-2008, 09:28 AM

nothin dumb about that, and also waukesha here. does the truck vin # for the 87 1/2ton? you can scam the emissions. when you get ready to get plates for the truck at the dmv, when your filling out the registration form there will be a little spot i think top right that says "county kept in" put jefferson county. then just fill out the rest normal even your normal home address. my truck is regestered that way along with all my other friends "illegal" trucks. never have had to run it through emissions.:)

wrath
01-09-2008, 09:05 AM
I live in a crappy $900/month apartment in Waukesha. I still own a house in the Upper Peninsula. The housing market there is horrible. When the house sells I'm going to buy one here. I don't feel comfortable buying a house here before I sell the one up there. While I work in IT, I'm a bit of a hillbilly. I want to buy a house in a 'hood that won't mind my fleet (I keep my yard spotless but I have a lot of vehicles). I don't even know where to live.

I work in Pewaukee on 164 just north of I94. Butler caught my eye. Brookfield looks like a guaranteed win as far as appreciation goes but I don't think they'd like automobile enthusiasts. My girlfriend currently works in Sussex but as an advertising/marketing person the jobs of that type are really in Milwaukee. So while I'd like to live in Pewaukee somewhere near the lake it'd make her commute brutal if she lived in Pewaukee. Plus any monetary savings by living in the sticks would be consumed by fuel. I won't live in Milwaukee County unless it's somewhere near the lake. The traffic is fscking nuts, commute time is miserable, and taxes are high. Oh, and it's the only county in Wisconsin whose population has gone down.

The Waukesha area wouldn't be too bad. But I need to find a place with low taxes as I would rather pay an inflated price for a house (Brookfield) rather than piss away $200/month more in taxes than Brookfield in West Allis.

Ideally, it'd be somewhere I can put up a sizeable garage so I could hide some of my more noteworthy vehicles (eyesores according to most people that drive Lexus').

So, that's why I'm wondering about registration. I need to find a place to look for houses. A place I can register my fleet without having to sidestep the powers that be would be nice. Without paying a quarter million for a house on a .15 acre lot with a 1.5 (1) car detached garage with $400/month taxes.

For my vehicles in question I have titles and VIN plates going back to 1973 that match the same cabin type. I've essentially had every year of that body style except 75, 85, and 88. I have one vehicle plated as a 84K10 and one plated as a 87R10 (cheapest plates in Michigan $45 for one and $34 for the other). The 84K10 looks like it's supposed to but will never pass emissions. The 87 will pass emissions (stinks less than my 07G6) but won't pass visual.

pOrk
01-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Walworth and Dodge counties do not have emissions testing to name a few and as far as I know, there is no "visual" inspection at any of the emissions testing stations.

Thats not always the case, my buddy Tim with the true fire truck had to pop his hood and failed the visual inspection because he removed his air box.