PDA

View Full Version : If no one saw this yet, blu-ray won.

Myles
01-07-2008, 12:02 AM
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Warner/Breaking:_Warner_Goes_Blu-ray_Exclusive/1325

VroomPshhTsi
01-07-2008, 12:08 AM
finally, now the industry can move forward n a lot more ppl will buy hi-def dvd players

i like the avatar :rolf
can't wait for new episodes whenever that will be

Myles
01-07-2008, 12:10 AM
finally, now the industry can move forward n a lot more ppl will buy hi-def dvd players

i like the avatar :rolf
can't wait for new episodes whenever that will be

Yeah exactly.

And yes, i cant wait for more eps to come out, im having dwight withdrawal

GTSLOW
01-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Which was cheaper before this?

Myles
01-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Which was cheaper before this?

HD I believe was cheaper.

wikked
01-07-2008, 10:17 AM
But now Blu-Ray will be cheaper, because it will be mass produced on a much greater level.

Just gotta wait for the last few companies to give up their HD-DVD dreams.

That kinda just made all the xbox360's HD-DVD drives worthless :P
Somewhere Steve Ballmer is throwing a chair at someone.

Myles
01-07-2008, 10:31 AM
But now Blu-Ray will be cheaper, because it will be mass produced on a much greater level.

Just gotta wait for the last few companies to give up their HD-DVD dreams.

That kinda just made all the xbox360's HD-DVD drives worthless :P
Somewhere Steve Ballmer is throwing a chair at someone.

Makes me gald i really didnt care enough about HD crap to get one for my 360.

badass88gt
01-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Ive been watching and waiting and wondering about this for quite some time now, HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray. I wanted to buy a player, but didnt know which format would be around for a while, much like VHS/Beta back in the day. I guess I should start looking for a BluRay player.

05caddyext
01-07-2008, 11:32 AM
Excellent. I knew I made the right choice buying the ps3. Built in blu-ray player, $50 more than the x-box bundle without a player. The movies are expensive right now though, when not on sale they are around $30 everywhere. Hopefully that changes, but I doubt it will. Someone said it would be cheaper because they would be mass produced... Why is it then that mass-produced standard definition movies are still $20??? I don't think the price will change that drastically for a while.

Crawlin
01-07-2008, 12:10 PM
I have 150-200 movies.... I'm not gonna go REBUY a bunch of movies on Blu-Ray just cause of better picture. I didn't buy an HD-DVD for the 360 either since it'd be a waste of money even today.

But it's good to know that SOMETHING is going on/forward and no more of the bullshit back and forth. Looks like this may work better than Beta did for 'em, haha

Myles
01-07-2008, 12:35 PM
This is revenge for beta.

Yooformula
01-07-2008, 04:02 PM
agreed with Chris completely. I never bought an hd player for my 360 as my upconvert works just fine for me. I dont care how good the PS3 is, the games on the 360 are better suited for me imo so I will have both but the PS3 would be mainly for movies.

Korndogg
01-07-2008, 07:00 PM
x2. Ill stick with my upconvert. Looks damn good as it is.

wikked
01-07-2008, 09:04 PM
At least Microsoft was smart enough to not make the hd-dvd built in, I'll give 'em that.
They are still way ahead of ps3 in sales by over 10million units.

(PS3 also has free upconvert (via firmware upgrade) :thumbsup)

SlowMotion
01-08-2008, 01:25 PM
I bought a Pioneer Elite upconverting dvd player as opposed to either blu-ray or HD DVD, because of the large colllection of standard dvd's I have. The upconverting capabilities are awesome with this dvd player, and I will wait for blu-ray dvd prices to fall and find a good blu-ray player in the future. :thumbsup

Karps TA
01-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Upconverting still doesn't hold a candle to regular HD. The difference is still huge.

As for a winner, maybe Sony wins but the consumer won't. They don't need to drop the price of their players anymore. HD DVD players being sold for $100-200 was a positive. Cause it forced Blu Ray to try and follow suit. They don't have any competition now, besides downloadable content.

And DLC is the reason why Microsoft didn't push the HD Drive or include it with the 360. They want to sell the movies off of Live. You can get alot of them in HD.

Either way doesn't bother me. I'll end up with a PS3 someday. Probably when/if Gran Turismo comes out. But PS3 needs to have a game library I care about before I drop the money for it.

Deggy
01-08-2008, 02:20 PM
So HD DVD is done?

wikked
01-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Paramount (one of the last 2 HD-DVD only studios), has all but caved in.

Their statement is "our current plan is sticking with HD-DVD"... but 'current plan' is what they've been doing since day 1, so that really isn't saying much else supportive lol.

wikked
01-08-2008, 06:32 PM
On the contrary, if Microsoft had stuck the HD-DVD in the 360 since day 1, Blu-Ray would be the one that lost.

Karps TA
01-08-2008, 06:48 PM
On the contrary, if Microsoft had stuck the HD-DVD in the 360 since day 1, Blu-Ray would be the one that lost.

I think Microsoft has always thought in the broader sense. Their intention from the start with the 360 was downloadable content. they only offered the HD DVD drive when they found out Sony was going Blu Ray. They did that just to keep their ass covered.

The only thing holding back DLC is bandwidth at this point. IF they can figure out a better way to compress the files and get them transferred faster, all of us with HD DVD, and Blu Ray discs will just have some fancy $25 coasters.

And I say that as a person who has a lot of DVD's and probably buys 3-5 of them a month.

GTSLOW
01-08-2008, 09:31 PM
Thank god I didnt buy that HD drive for 360 :wooo