PDA

View Full Version : Roadrunner Internet Questions

03CVLX
01-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Is anybody here fairly knowledgeable with Roadrunner. Id like to make a few changes to my parents setup but not sure if my ideas are possible.

They have the computer down in the basement, and Time Warner has the Roadrunner line run into the house to that computer. I have connected it to a Linksys wireless router to power our two laptops and my brothers video game systems. I would like to run a splitter so I can keep the router on the first floor where the bulk of the wireless items are for a better signal, while still keeping the main house computer hard wired into roadrunner for full speed when necessary. If thats not possible what else could I do to help boost the routers signal if I keep it in the basement.

Thanks,

Tom

juicedimpss
01-06-2008, 01:15 PM
why not run the router upstairs and run a hardline from it to the main computer?

i think most will agree a splitter is asking for trouble.

03CVLX
01-06-2008, 02:12 PM
why not run the router upstairs and run a hardline from it to the main computer?

i think most will agree a splitter is asking for trouble.

That works for me. I guess I would need to have Time Warner come in move the line upstairs and see about Drilling thru the floor to run a cable back to the basement. I really didn't think the splitter was a great idea, thanks for confirming that for me.

Ricky Bobby
01-06-2008, 08:39 PM
why not try it wireless and see before u go threw all that hassle it might not affect it that bad

03CVLX
01-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Well, The router is in the basement now, and the signal going to the laptops get quite weak usually a couple times a week at least. I have a feeling if I just put the main desktop PC on wireless and move the router upstairs, the laptops will always get good signal and the desktop connection will suffer.

I agree its gonna be alot of screwing around to do all this, and I guess Im not sure the end result would even be that noticeable.

Do they make any kind of Signal boosters for the router when your dealing with multi floor applications? I saw the gain antennas that Linksys sells but those are not compatible with my router.

Ricky Bobby
01-06-2008, 09:22 PM
i was told a router works like an umbrella, so whatever thats worth i work for twc and all we use is netgear stuff and if u want us out to move the line there is a charge for the new outlet

WickedSix
01-06-2008, 09:32 PM
if you have the wireless router seperate why not run a hard line upstairs and locate the wireless router up there?? pretty sure my RR box has two ports on it so one could run upstairs to a wireless router and one right into your desktop downstairs

tbarsch
01-07-2008, 03:19 PM
You may want to install a hacked BIOS for your router - some of them allow you to "turn up" the wireless signal...

Look here...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

wrath
01-07-2008, 04:28 PM
What is preventing you from running two ethernet cables upstairs (one to plug the router into the cable modem, one to plug the computer into the router)? You can then leave the cable modem where it is.

Nobody puts signal boosters in for cable TV so there is no reason to have a separate line for the cable modem. They don't even bother putting in non-bouncing splitters. The line that goes to your cable modem is just split in the cable box outside the house. You can put the cable modem wherever you want assuming you have more than basic cable.

Why do they want a separate line to your cable modem? So when you cancel your cable TV they just have to disconnect the cable TV line into your house and let your cable modem be. Most people don't know that they can get cable TV on the same line that goes to their cable modem.

If you do happen to have a cable TV amplifier/noise reducer you need to make sure that the cable modem is on the cable company's end of the amplifier.

Cryptic
01-07-2008, 04:30 PM
or buy a wireless access point to extend your wired network wirelessly.