PDA

View Full Version : Broken Flat Screen TV Question

03CVLX
01-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Does anyone here know anything about Flat screen TV's? I just got home from work and my parents Sanyo LCD TV broke tonight. They tell me they were just sitting here watching Television and it shut off on its own and will not power back on. It is of course two weeks out of its warranty period so the costs will be on us. :fire And before it gets asked they claim they did check to be sure the plug didn't fall out of the socket. :rolf

I guess I am wondering if anyone has experienced this before and If its an easy, cheap fix or will it be new TV time?

Thanks for any help/suggestions in advance,

Tom

Heat Seeker WS6
01-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Broke is pretty vague and so is the term 'flat screen'. where are they. I can prob stop out & take a peek at it tomorrow (sunday).

03CVLX
01-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Yep, I know its terribly Vague. I live on The southwest side Milwaukee off Howard Ave. I work a 16 hr shift tomorrow and I am not real sure on my parents plans for the day at this point. I will talk with them first thing in the morning and PM you when I know better how the day will shape up. I appreciate the offer and wish I could tell you more about whats wrong.

Heat Seeker WS6
01-06-2008, 12:45 AM
no prob just let me know.

BoosTT
01-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Usually when an LCD breaks, its time for a new one. They are serviceable, but the parts are as much as the tv.

03CVLX
01-06-2008, 11:43 AM
haha, thats what I have heard and am afraid of.

03CVLX
01-06-2008, 12:40 PM
And its now a Confirmed DOA :rolf Thanks again Heat Seeker for taking the time to stop over and take a look at it. I owe ya one.:thumbsup

indyzmike
01-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Remember that if the TV was purchased using a major credit card, the factory warranty is sometimes doubled by the credit card company.

03CVLX
01-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Remember that if the TV was purchased using a major credit card, the factory warranty is sometimes doubled by the credit card company.

It was purchased on a credit card, Ill have my parents check into that... Thanks :thumbsup

Heat Seeker WS6
01-06-2008, 11:12 PM
No problem at all Tom. Keep me posted on the situation

WilliamZ
01-07-2008, 06:32 AM
Audio Visual of Milwaukee is a Sanyo dealer/service center. Give them a call if you want it serviced. 414-432-1077. It might be an easy fix.

Silver03SRT
01-08-2008, 10:24 PM
My roommate found a sanyo flat screen tv on the side of the road in our subdivision. It was a small one but he tried plugging it in and it didnt work so he called the comapny and they sent a new cord and it worked fine. That could be the problem.

Heat Seeker WS6
01-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Its a Sylvania and its dead as a doornail. It 10 days or so out of factory warranty and neither Jerkit City or Sylvania will do anything besides sell them a new unit- nice eh?

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Throwaway society, folks use to go to the corner store and test their TV tubes and fix their own TV's and Radios, now we have cheap crap from china.

03CVLX
01-09-2008, 06:49 AM
Its a Sylvania and its dead as a doornail. It 10 days or so out of factory warranty and neither Jerkit City or Sylvania will do anything besides sell them a new unit- nice eh?

Yep... Sylvania goes on the list of "brands to never buy again" My parents bought a Samsung 40" LCD and the difference in quality is just unreal. From the case/stand to all the plugs in the back being well marked its just so much better. Don't even get me started on the difference in picture quality.

If anybody else has a Sylvania TV, I hope it works better for you then it did for us. Sylvania will not be there to help or work with you not even 1 minute after the warranty is gone.

03CVLX
01-09-2008, 07:31 AM
I am thinking of buying new cables for this new TV. We have the Component cables that came with the HD Time Warner box now, and I am thinking of upgrading to HDMI cables but not really sure on what the difference is and what improvements will be. I saw in the other thread something about www. monoprice.com for good deals on cables but I am not sure on this point what I should get.

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-09-2008, 10:18 AM
If anybody else has a Sylvania TV, I hope it works better for you then it did for us. Sylvania will not be there to help or work with you not even 1 minute after the warranty is gone.

My 30 year old digital tuned Sylvania TV is working just fine, Never a problem, even after a healthy drop. :rolf

indyzmike
01-09-2008, 11:56 AM
I'll bet they don't give any extra warranty because you had a chance to buy an extended warranty. Extended warrantys are a big moneymaker for the sellers. It is very rare for an electronics item to go dead right after the standard warranty runs out. They usually either break right away or keep on going for a long time.

I rarely buy extended warrantys. The money that I am ahead of the game will more than pay for a new TV.

That Sylvania sounds like it has a dead power supply. From what I hear, the power supplies are the most fragile part of the circuit these days. They take the most abuse from the shock of start-up.