PDA

View Full Version : Ate another throwout bearing!

Milw96Cobra
09-03-2003, 10:58 AM
:rockwoot:

Well, now this time I'm gonna replace the whole clutch....

Calling Maximum Motorsports when they open in an hour, ordering myself a McLeod Stage 3.

Who wants to help this weekend!? :goof

Stangman98
09-03-2003, 05:43 PM
How the hell do you keep doing that? Have you checked into getting a SPEC clutch?

DCITransAM
10-05-2003, 11:28 PM
Time to learn to drive stick!!! Time to trade in for a faster car like mine.:nutkick

BAD LS1
10-07-2003, 02:49 PM
Are you using "made in China" throw out bearings or something??? or have the clutch down more than you do up??? LOL

Tom B

Al
10-14-2003, 02:04 AM
My clutch has a squeek that can be heard whenever the clutch is not depressed. All are saying throwout bearing. I agree, but I don't plan on having anything done till it gets louder or something begins to not work properly. Otherwise, 2,000 miles hasn't hurt it.

Milw96Cobra
10-14-2003, 01:40 PM
Well Tom, it wasnt my bearing after all....

Turns out my pivot stud came dislodged from the tranny.... interesting. So a quick 2 min fix once the tranny was all the way out.

Anyways, next time, which will be this Winter sometime, my tranny comes out, the headers, offroad-x, new mufflers, and new clutch / friction plate for my aluminum flywheel... will all be going on.

BlueBullet, what you could do, to quiet that squeak down.... well, you have 2 options.

1) Pop the dust shield cover off the tranny where your clutch fork is... wiggle your hand inside there, and spray a little bit of 'white lithium grease' on the bearing retainer.... but not too much, you dont wanna get that crap on your clutch.

2) Get a Steeda Clutch Quadrant and Firewall Adjuster... adjust the firewall adjuster out (toward the front of the car) a few turns to the point where the TO Bearing chirp goes away. (This will also change the engage point of the clutch on your pedal a small amout.

BAD LS1
10-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Whats the reason for the alluminum fly wheel if imay ask. Do you do more autocross than drag racing?? At a sticky track that things just gotta die off the line with that on there.

Milw96Cobra
10-14-2003, 03:43 PM
Less Rotational Mass...

Well, when I cut the 1.8 at Joliet, it sure didn't die off the line.

BAD LS1
10-14-2003, 04:38 PM
Yeah thats obviously less rotational mass that much i knew....

Well the reason i ask is because light flywheel's are good for slippery tracks and dont shock the tires that much or good for quick accleration out of corners when auto Xing., but if you dead hook the engine doesnt have near the amount of momentum it would with, say a 38LBS'er and would fall down and stumble. And to nail a 1.8 60 ft your gonna be close to Dead hooking soo.....

Going the the CPONYGO drag races this sat BTW????

Milw96Cobra
10-14-2003, 09:55 PM
Buying my beater on Friday...

Cobra goes into winter hibernation soon after.

BAD LS1
10-15-2003, 09:06 AM
The races are on sat though........

02hawk796
10-16-2003, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by BlueBullet
My clutch has a squeek that can be heard whenever the clutch is not depressed. All are saying throwout bearing. I agree, but I don't plan on having anything done till it gets louder or something begins to not work properly. Otherwise, 2,000 miles hasn't hurt it.

Good plan. About 15,000 miles ago my S-10 throwout was making a racket, kinda bothered me. I'm still waiting for something to break in there. Noise only lasted a few months. Give yours time.

Milw96Cobra
10-16-2003, 03:40 PM
It wont go away.... we dont have hydraulic clutches.

jbiscuit
10-16-2003, 04:26 PM
aluminum flywheels are garbage unless used on a road race car or a strictly autocross car. GLD hooks so the first time you race down there you will stumble that car right on its nose with the aluminum flywheel. I'm with Tom on this one...it doesn't matter if the car is a Honda or a GM the aluminum flywheel is only good for an auto X beast or if you like to sprint from 30mph all the time.

Milw96Cobra
10-16-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by yellow wagon
or if you like to sprint from 30mph all the time.

Which is mostly what I do.

Al
10-20-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Milw96Cobra

BlueBullet, what you could do, to quiet that squeak down.... well, you have 2 options.

1) Pop the dust shield cover off the tranny where your clutch fork is... wiggle your hand inside there, and spray a little bit of 'white lithium grease' on the bearing retainer.... but not too much, you dont wanna get that crap on your clutch.

2) Get a Steeda Clutch Quadrant and Firewall Adjuster... adjust the firewall adjuster out (toward the front of the car) a few turns to the point where the TO Bearing chirp goes away. (This will also change the engage point of the clutch on your pedal a small amout.

Thanks for the advice, I have a friend who has agred to help me fix it