PDA

View Full Version : Digital TV tuner coupons from Uncle Sam

Cryptic
01-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Feb. 18, 2009 there will no be no more analog broadcasts. You'll need a converter for your old tv sets. Starting Tuesday Jan 2, 2007, the National Telecommunications and Information Administration will begin accepting requests for two $40 coupons per household to be used toward the purchase of the converter boxes.

JS Online: Feds share coupons to help TV transition (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/D/DIGITAL_TV?SITE=WIMIL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)

Apply here:
http://www.dtv2009.gov/

Crawlin
01-02-2008, 01:46 PM
great, a whole bunch of jobless, mid 20's, lazy people on SSI getting EVEN MORE free money from the government.

can't afford it, you shouldn't have it. wouldn't need it if they had jobs

Karps TA
01-02-2008, 02:07 PM
More tax money going to handouts. Joy!

Silver350
01-02-2008, 02:36 PM
great, a whole bunch of jobless, mid 20's, lazy people on SSI getting EVEN MORE free money from the government.

can't afford it, you shouldn't have it. wouldn't need it if they had jobs

Chris did you read the whole article? The coupons are for anyone that use a over the air tv service and do not subscribe to cable or satilite. I dont have cable service or satilite. I actually signed up for it mainly for my parents and it doesn't ask any personal information other then your name and address and it askes for a question if you use analog service, and how many coupons would you like one or two.

Slow Joe
01-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Hrmm I think I'm going to ask my Grandma if she wants me to sign her up for this...

Flight_740
01-02-2008, 02:42 PM
And you could only be using it in one room and still be being truthful.

They are doing it for the economy is my bet. With more people not being able to see a business add on tv, I would bet that business would cut back advertising on tv. Huge blow to that industry and economy.

Just a thought though.

pickardracing
01-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Gotta get that propaganda out there.

Holeshot
01-02-2008, 05:59 PM
It converts Digital signal to analog just so those poor bastards can watch Jerry Springer.
Its the only thing on TV they can relate to. WTF

Crawlin
01-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Chris did you read the whole article? The coupons are for anyone that use a over the air tv service and do not subscribe to cable or satilite. I dont have cable service or satilite. I actually signed up for it mainly for my parents and it doesn't ask any personal information other then your name and address and it askes for a question if you use analog service, and how many coupons would you like one or two.

Scott I know :)

But the money's gotta come from somewhere, and in the end, it'll be the responsible people who pay their taxes. It's not like the industry is gonna give up $80/househould over the course of the year, "just cause".

I understand the switch, but if $40 is gonna make or break you, you really should rearrange your priorities. Know what I mean? I know there are people out there that choose NOT to have any sort of cable/satellite. I was one of those people because I never watched TV. So no point paying for it.

Mostly, I just had a bad day at work with people lieing to me on credit applications which means cars do not get sold. And it has to do with what I first posted, haha. I love being yelled at because of other's laziness and inability to contribute to society and welch off of those like us who work hard.

lordairgtar
01-02-2008, 06:25 PM
I heard the converters are going to be around 75 bucks. Not a big deal in price. I don't think the feds need to be giving coupons out to people.

Silver350
01-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Scott I know :)

But the money's gotta come from somewhere, and in the end, it'll be the responsible people who pay their taxes. It's not like the industry is gonna give up $80/househould over the course of the year, "just cause".

I understand the switch, but if $40 is gonna make or break you, you really should rearrange your priorities. Know what I mean? I know there are people out there that choose NOT to have any sort of cable/satellite. I was one of those people because I never watched TV. So no point paying for it.

Mostly, I just had a bad day at work with people lieing to me on credit applications which means cars do not get sold. And it has to do with what I first posted, haha. I love being yelled at because of other's laziness and inability to contribute to society and welch off of those like us who work hard.

I know a lot of people in the world are trying to get something for nothing and it sucks I know. I am working two jobs to pay for things that I want and I get irritated also when there is someone that is on well fare that are using their checks just so they can buy their kids Wii is just insane. But hey if they are offering it to everyone why not take it. Not like we are going to get a break on anything like taxes.

I have a High Def tv with a digital tunner so I dont need it, but my folks do and that is why I signed up for them.:thumbsup

Cryptic
01-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Gov't mandated the change to digital, thus gov't is supplementing the change over.

Cryptic
03-17-2008, 10:05 PM
They are two credit cards worth $40 a piece from the Dept of Commerce

davidjp3
03-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Just get ATT UVERSE and you won't need to worry about that.

michelle
03-18-2008, 11:53 AM
I got two of those cards the other day. I'm not a big TV watcher so it works for me since I don't really need to go and get cable right now. And I will give one to my Grandpa so he can still watch the news. (:

VroomPshhTsi
03-18-2008, 11:55 AM
this has been planned for years, like previously stated it's only if u have OTA broadcast and an older TV... if you have cable of any sort or a TV built in the past 3-5 years you're fine

it's suppose to "free up" the broadcast spectrum, plus digital signals are a hundred times better obviously

davidjp3
03-18-2008, 12:07 PM
this has been planned for years, like previously stated it's only if u have OTA broadcast and an older TV... if you have cable of any sort or a TV built in the past 3-5 years you're fine

it's suppose to "free up" the broadcast spectrum, plus digital signals are a hundred times better obviously

I'm pretty sure with non digital TVs that you will have to get a converter box if you have time warner cable. So, eventually you won't be able to just split the signal and plug in the coax to as many TVs as you want--I think.