PDA

View Full Version : Kicking the Habbit

Silver350
01-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Alright guys seeing there are a lot of people going to quit smoking I figure I would start this thread so people can post questions to people that quit or provide support to others. I know it sounds funny but it helps to have someone to listen to you b!tch on how tuff it is.

For everyone else please do not post negative comments like you should just start smoking again. Try to post something positive to help us smokers stay off the cancer sticks.

With that said this is what helped me in the past.

Find a healthy snack to munch on when you get hungry or have a craving. I have used sunflower seeds, and peanuts in the past. They are good for you and shouldn't allow weight gain.

Chew on gum or suck on hard candy like lifesavers or jolly ranchers.

wear a rubber band around your wrist. I have done this and its great. Pull it back and snap your wrist when you have a craving this will take you mind off the cigarette. Also it will give your hands something to play with.

Get a straw and cut it to the size of a cigarette. Pretend it is one and smoke away. This will help with the putting something to your mouth and inhaling.

Breath. Take deep breaths when you have a craving. and remember the craving will pass.

Drink Plenty of Water to help flush out your system, and keep you hydrated.

Stay away from alcohol and caffeine.

Last year I took a class to help me quit smoking. In the class they provided us with a lot of information. Most of that information you can get on the American Lung Associations web site http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=33484

Good luck everyone! :thumbsup

Cryptic
01-02-2008, 09:30 AM
I would say avoid bars too... Smokers always say "I only smoke when I drink" or at least have an impossible time resisting while drinking.

badass88gt
01-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Avoid bars, avoid other smokers. Thats the best thing you can do. I smoked for almost 12 years steady and quit cold turkey 8 years ago. Best thing I ever did.

Want_Notch
01-02-2008, 09:40 AM
I quit about 3 months ago.

Hard candy and gum worked for me.

jbiscuit
01-02-2008, 09:47 AM
pick up a hobby. If you are busy doing stuff, it will keep your mind off of it Scott. Try building a model or pick up an RC car or something to tinker with.

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-02-2008, 10:10 AM
As an addict I took the easy way out and went to the doctor and got a chantix prescription, paid the $100 for chantix and Viola! 2 weeks later I was painlessly smoke free, coming up on a year this Feb. Now if I could just shake the herbal supplements.

I rarely drink alcohol but about a month after I quit smoking I had a few beers with my dad and he reckoned if I could drink some beers and not smoke I had it licked, I just hope I can stay that way forever.

pickardracing
01-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Avoid bars, avoid other smokers. Thats the best thing you can do. I smoked for almost 12 years steady and quit cold turkey 8 years ago. Best thing I ever did.

Word up.

Sack up and quit. Period.

DirtyMax
01-02-2008, 10:36 AM
I would say avoid bars too... Smokers always say "I only smoke when I drink" or at least have an impossible time resisting while drinking.

This is where I'm at and have been for 2+ years. I wouldn't mind stopping altogether though since they are probably like $5 a pack now.

Myles
01-02-2008, 10:52 AM
Gum is a big thing, putting pencils or pens behind my ears helps too. Doing small thing that you used to do when smoking or about to smoke can sometimes quell urges. Stay away from other smokers, if you smoked alot while drinking, tone down on the drink for a bit. Stupid things like chewing on toothpicks also help at times.

07ROUSHSTG3
01-02-2008, 10:56 AM
well one day smoke free. have been chewing so much gum my jaw is starting to hurt?!? the real test will be saturday when i am going out for a birthday party.

wikked
01-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Start up a World of Warcraft account, you'll never want to smoke again because you'll have a new addiction to consume your life, and won't want to waste one minute doing anything else. ¦D

07ROUSHSTG3
01-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Start up a World of Warcraft account, you'll never want to smoke again because you'll have a new addiction to consume your life, and won't want to waste one minute doing anything else. ¦D

:rolf

i think my wife would rather have me smoke then start getting into video gaming again. :goof

Silver350
01-02-2008, 12:06 PM
well one day smoke free. have been chewing so much gum my jaw is starting to hurt?!? the real test will be saturday when i am going out for a birthday party.

Try picking up some hard candy or sunflower seeds. its probably not good that you are chewing that long for your jaw to hurt. Are you cold turkeying it or are you on any aids?

Nix
01-02-2008, 12:15 PM
I also did the Chantix as well. After taking ti for a few weeks I just put the cigs down all togther and haven't looked back since. It will be a year on the 20th of March for me.:banana1:

The thing is it hasn't even been hard. After a few weeks without one life just went back to "normal" and like I said I've never looked back and its been great. For all of those of you trying to quit I commend you and don't give up it can be done.

GHOSST
01-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Have more sex.. lol

BadAzzGTA89
01-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Been 2 days smoke free for me and i already feel a lil more energy!
Just sucks driving i always smoked doing that!!!I was feening pretty good at times today so i went and got some gum and an air freshner for my truck and i am liking the non smokey truck and not coming home smelling like a bar:banana

Silver350
01-02-2008, 06:45 PM
I worked out today and it was nice being able to use release of energy on a work out instead of wasting it and smoking.

07ROUSHSTG3
01-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Try picking up some hard candy or sunflower seeds. its probably not good that you are chewing that long for your jaw to hurt. Are you cold turkeying it or are you on any aids?

i have some patches and lozenges in the cupboard but i do not want to use them unless i absolutely need to. the lozenges taste like crap, and i always had a problem with the patches not sticking. i found a pile of cough drops that will help my jaw until i get to the store for some jolly ranchers!

SSDude
01-02-2008, 07:55 PM
You guys hang in there. I quit nine years ago.
At first i tried hypnosis. That lasted about a day. I finally went cold turkey.
One thing you have to remind yourself of is you can't just have one. If you have one you'll want another.
Once you get the nicotine out of your system and break the old habits of when and where you would light up you'll find it much easier to be around smokers. I don't mind a little second hand smoke now and then or to be around a good cigar.
You'll notice after a little while how sense of taste and smell will improve. You won't like how your cloths smell after you've been out.
All the suggestions for substitutes are great.

Reverend Cooper
01-02-2008, 08:45 PM
its all in your mind, if you believe you dont need them you wont crave them, i just quit one day,now its funny sometimes i wil have some when drinking and it just makes me know how much i dont like them anymore. hang in there it will get easier, gum helps alot tho

70challenger
01-03-2008, 02:24 AM
ive been done cig free for two days now and its great! i feel alot more energy at work, no ore sinus headaces around 2:00 pm, no spending money. i wnet out snowmobiling tonite and all of my friends that were with me dont like smoking so that made it easier, until the bartender started smoking. i knew u wanted one in the worst way and they had them available, but i got out my second pack of gum i chewed today and overcame it. i think that makes peice 25 in less than 24 hours.

HY35F2T
01-03-2008, 05:43 AM
ehh im quiting this year soon as this pack i have is empty.

camel frost are ****en good though lol.

Poncho
01-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Solitary confinement.

Beagle
01-03-2008, 06:50 AM
my pack is almost gone. ive been easying out of it. down to about 2-4 smokes a day. i have a few left but i dont think i will smoke them.

Holeshot
01-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Quiting smoking or any other habit is total mind set. You really have to reach that point where you say I'm done. It's not easy I know. It will be 11 years form me the 21st of January. I quit cold turkey and was a complete asshole for the first week or two.

Be positive and do your best to stay away from stress and other smokers. Get a support system..... Friends family. I gained a bunch if weight as the oral fixation was the weakness.

I have to learn to control that to. Diet exercise and no fast food helped me drop 60 lbs, most of it in the past two years.

If you slip don't kill yourself over it just make sure you talk about it so the guilt can't get the best of you. Or your mind set will be Fvck it I may as well keep smoking.

Good luck to all the smokers that are quiting its a tough habit to break. I totally understand.

DSMDuDE
01-03-2008, 07:58 AM
I dont like to talk about it becaue it just makes me think about it more hah

But figured i would chime in and say i finished my last pack last night about 9pm and havnt had one since and planning on keeping it that way

Full pack of gum desk side, and doing other stuff to keep my mind of wanting to have one

Just gotta be strong!

Silver350
01-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Today is a good day for me today. I am busy running communication lines but it isnt stressfull haven't thought about one all day. Just cant wait to go home because I am really sore from my work out.

lit666
01-03-2008, 11:58 AM
I quit smoking cold turkey but gained a bunch of weight, I'd almost just rather smoke. Been smoke free for over 2 yrs now. Been super fat for the same time to though :)

Larrygto
01-03-2008, 02:40 PM
You have to be ready and have a good reason to quite. I quite on my Daughters 2nd birthday. My old man died of emphysema when I was 15 and I didn't want to do that to my Daughter. Well she's 15 now and I'm still around so goal accomplished I guess? Seriously no drinking for awhile that was always my downfall! Don't give up!

SSScottSS
01-06-2008, 03:17 PM
This is my first non-smoking day and it freakin SUCKS!!!!!!!!! I feel like a nervous wreck. 2 packs a day for 20 years is not an easy thing to give up.

Silver350
01-07-2008, 06:52 AM
This is my first non-smoking day and it freakin SUCKS!!!!!!!!! I feel like a nervous wreck. 2 packs a day for 20 years is not an easy thing to give up.

Good Job Sick with it. Are you using any aids?

SSScottSS
01-07-2008, 09:26 AM
yes, using some nicotine gum which they claim helps the cravings. I made it through the first day smoke free. Didn't think I would make it. I went to the store and bought two packs of Marlboro lights, opened up a pack, put the cig in my mouth, fired up the lighter..... and paused. Put the cig down.

A while later the wife told me to watch my mouth because I was swearing while playing video games (trying to keep my hands busy ya know :) ) and about bit her head off. She told me to go smoke a freakin cigarette:wow

Now another day ahead of me. Forza 2 should be arriving in the mail today and will hopefully help me keep my mind and hands busy.

6forwardgears
01-07-2008, 09:36 AM
yes, using some nicotine gum which they claim helps the cravings. I made it through the first day smoke free. Didn't think I would make it. I went to the store and bought two packs of Marlboro lights, opened up a pack, put the cig in my mouth, fired up the lighter..... and paused. Put the cig down.

A while later the wife told me to watch my mouth because I was swearing while playing video games (trying to keep my hands busy ya know :) ) and about bit her head off. She told me to go smoke a freakin cigarette:wow

Now another day ahead of me. Forza 2 should be arriving in the mail today and will hopefully help me keep my mind and hands busy.

Stick with it, you can do it! :headbang The end rewards will be soooo worth it. Better health and lots of extra spending money.. what more could you want?

pOrk
01-07-2008, 09:40 AM
I have been told by a few people once you do go smoke free for 3 days, its easy. I haven't a clue how this goes, but just do for 3 or 4 days without one before trying alternatives.

I hate gum chewer's, almost as bas a smoking by spitting that shit everywhere.

SSScottSS
01-07-2008, 10:15 AM
I know what you mean about gum chewers Pork.. for some reason it just annoys me when I'm around someone who's chewing on gum, and I've never been much of a gum chewer myself, but at this point I need the help of the nicotine in the gum.

Silver350
01-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Well the nicotine gum isn'r really a gum, you are not supose to chew it like gum

Nix
01-07-2008, 12:55 PM
I know what you mean about gum chewers Pork.. for some reason it just annoys me when I'm around someone who's chewing on gum, and I've never been much of a gum chewer myself, but at this point I need the help of the nicotine in the gum.

Go see your Dr. and get a prescription for Chantix, TRUST ME it will make it that much easier.

Silver350
01-08-2008, 08:01 AM
How is everyone doing so far?

When I orginally posted I didnt end up quitting till the 2nd. Went two days and for some reason bought a pack. Now I am back on track and working two days in a row with out smoking.

jbiscuit
01-08-2008, 08:02 AM
keep it up scott and stay busy. Just keep your mind off it and you'll be fine.

J

Silver350
01-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Hardes part for me is driving because that would be the time that I smoked the most and When I am at my apartment I always find something to do to keep my mind off it.

wikked
01-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Hardes part for me is driving because that would be the time that I smoked the most and When I am at my apartment I always find something to do to keep my mind off it.

Think of all the new/used bats you can buy with the money you're saving though :D
Shìt, just 15-20 packs and you'll have another Techfire :thumbsup

Maybe get the interior steam cleaned if it smells like smoke, just 1 less reminder?

DirtyMax
01-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Shìt, just 15-20 packs and you'll have another Techfire :thumbsup

Hell, at $5 a pack, he can buy about 4-5 Techfires from the savings of 15-20 packs... :thumbsup

Silver350
01-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Im actually waiting on the new milwaukee bat list to be released so I can see if I can get some better bats this year. I am down to three.

wikked
01-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Hell, at $5 a pack, he can buy about 4-5 Techfires from the savings of 15-20 packs... :thumbsup

? You find me them for $20 and I'll buy every last one :D

Im actually waiting on the new milwaukee bat list to be released so I can see if I can get some better bats this year. I am down to three.

Shouldn't be too much longer... Greenfield will have their softball info up this month sometime, hope that includes the list.

Silver350
01-08-2008, 03:53 PM
The list should be out soon.

Back on topic. How is everyone doing with quitting?