PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone opinions: Motorola RAZR and Samsungs

badass88gt
01-01-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm needing a new phone, has anyone had experience with either the Motorla RAZR:

Motorola (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Motorola+RAZR+V3+-+Blue&q_sku=sku1040096)

The Sync by Samsung:

Samsung Sync (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=SYNC+by+Samsung+-+Red&q_sku=sku950157)

Or the Samsung A737:

Samsung A737 (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Samsung+A737+-+Red&q_sku=sku1140075)

Anyone ever had any of them?

Korndogg
01-01-2008, 07:40 PM
I heard the Razr is terrible.

Holeshot
01-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Junk!!!

If you can find an LG Get that. There phones are sturdy and reliable. I have had cell phones for years and LG has never failed me.

885.0stang
01-01-2008, 08:01 PM
i have a razr maxx and its a pos. went through 3 in six mths. want to get something else soon

Junky Giorgio
01-01-2008, 08:02 PM
I went through 7 Motorolla razr's in 8 months. With that being said
it pretty much speaks for itself. I then went through 3 LG cu500's which were junk as well. That was all through cingular which can kiss my @$$.
I've had no problems with my Blackberry through Sprint in the past year though!

GRAMPS SS
01-01-2008, 08:10 PM
RAZOR= CRAP....don't waste your time dan....i got a LG 8300....haven't had a problem with it yet...built like a tank..they just upgraded it to a 8350....looks a little different..but still the same great phone....have had motorola....crap...have had LG for awhile now.....trust me...LG FTW

badass88gt
01-01-2008, 08:40 PM
I wont buy an LG. LG=Goldstar, previously from KMart fame.

Anyone know anything about the Samsungs?

scottie K
01-01-2008, 08:50 PM
dont buy razor...

i went through 3 in a yr

badass88gt
01-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I wonder about the Samsungs? They dont seem to be very popular, maybe only cuz they dont carry the Motorola name?

Deggy
01-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Dont buy a RAZR, they are complete junk.

my girlfriend has a Sync and she likes it...i myself right now have a Sony Erricson slider/mp3 player.

Holeshot
01-01-2008, 09:03 PM
True LG was formally known as Goldstar but Since 2001, LG has two joint ventures with Royal Philips Electronics: LG Philips Display and LG.Philips LCD. LG has made a joint venture with Nortel Networks and has created LG-Nortel Co. Ltd.

LG also has a joint venture with Hitachi which manufactures optical data storage solutions like DVD-ROM drives, CD writers, etc. LG has owned the LG Twins baseball club since 1989.

LG acquired a majority share of the American television manufacturing company Zenith in 1995.

WickedSix
01-01-2008, 09:14 PM
have the razr v3m..... has some 'issues' at times gonna find something better soon

badass88gt
01-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Anyone have the KRZR? Ive heard theyre much nicer than the RAZR. My brother has a KRZR, but he's only had it a couple of months, he likes it.....so far.

KRZR (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Motorola+KRZR&q_sku=sku970009)

Deggy
01-01-2008, 09:19 PM
I heard the KRZR is basically the RAZR kind of revamped, never used one, or knew anyone with one. Just heard its a little slimer, has a glass-like outside screen that will probalby crack realy easily, and has an MP3 player that can be used when the phone is closed. Other than that I have no idea about the KRZR.

you're with AT&T right?

badass88gt
01-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Right now I'm with Cellcom, but my contract is up and my phone just took a shit on me. I was thinking of doing the add-a-line thing through the GF she's at Cellular One which is now AT&T.

Deggy
01-01-2008, 09:28 PM
the only down fall with AT&T, dunno if you are familiar with this...but from personal experience their customer service sucks, and if you don't get a warranty with your phone you will be ****ed if you ever drop it or get it stolen. And unlike T-Mobile and US Cellular, ATT doesnt give loaner phones. Other than that I love the reception I get with them. I usually don't have less that 2 bars where ever I go. I would look into some Samsung phones, i never been a fan of anything motorolla...but maybe its just me.

nismodave
01-01-2008, 09:28 PM
I like my Razor 2.

badass88gt
01-01-2008, 09:39 PM
We dont have T-Mobile or US Cell up here. Not too many choices, Cellcom, Cell One, Sprint, thats about it I think. Verizon maybe?

USMARINE1108
01-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Samsung A920 is what I've got. Has all the features of other phones and does more than I use it for. I dont need to watch tv on my phone, but it's cool to be able to. It's got good speakers (best I've heard on a phone) and works great for an MP3 player. I've had this for a year and a half with no problems and I'm hard on phones.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/20049/sprint_power_vision_multimedia_phone.html

Reverend Cooper
01-01-2008, 10:07 PM
th lg i have danno has been flawless,texts videos and pix are great and reception is great cant beat that. vickis razor has been fine to.

subliminal1284
01-01-2008, 10:23 PM
i have a t mobile dash aka htc excalibur its the best phone ive ever used. i have windows mobile 6 on here, wi fi, internet explorer, i can install programs on here too which is really cool and it plays audio and video. pretty much a pocket pc

DirtyMax
01-01-2008, 10:28 PM
The RAZR V3M has been a very solid phone for me. I've had mine about a year and it's still held up great. It's one of the better phones I've had and up until I stopped working there, I used every phone that came thru the door so I knew what was nice and what was crap.

Nearly every front housing of every KRZR thats made it a few months has spider cracked. It's pretty much a guarantee.

The ROKR (Moto's new phone for US Cell) has been pretty well received.

redpony06
01-02-2008, 06:32 AM
Samsungs rule, we each have a D807, which was near top of the line a year ago. We have a white one and a black one, and both have been totally flawless.

Slow Joe
01-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Samsung phones are ok if you get the ones that aren't free (talking from sprint experience) I have a Samsung A640 and it's probably one of the worst phones I've ever had. On the other hand with Sprint we got Kristie the Sanyo Katana DLX and that's probably one of the best phones we've had with Sprint... My words of wisdom are don't get the free phone, especially if it's a Samsung...

xxsn0blindxx
01-02-2008, 10:59 AM
I have the original RAZR (V3C?) and it has been pretty much flawless for the three years I've owned it. I've had to reseat the SIM card a couple times, but that has only been in the last year. My only complaint with it is that the menus can be kind of slow at times. The battery is starting to lose charge quickly. I only get a day's use out of it between charges, but it' 3 years old so that's to be expected. My parents and siblings all have Razrs through T-mobile and I think my mom and dad had them through cingular prior to that and never had issues with theirs.

I've never had a problem with AT&T's customer service. Every time I have called they have been very helpful. I had a several months in a row where Jamster applied $10 charges to my account even though I never used their services and Cingular dropped the charges immediately and even conference called jamster to tell them to stop charging me(had to call those bastards twice before they finally stopped). My wife and I are switching our cell phone plans on the 14th and going to T-mobile only because my wife uses her phone a lot for work and the my favs will help a lot with cutting down minutes. My only gripe with Cingular is that you use minutes when you call your Cingular voicemail and when you use call waiting. Their bills are a bit confusing, but you can download all the data in an excel spreadsheet and do a pivot table to make more sens out of it. Cingular's night time minutes start at 9 which is annoying and it costs a lot to go to 7 ($16/month I think).

Crawlin
01-02-2008, 01:49 PM
I have AT&T as well and a RAZR i just got a couple months ago. Works like a charm.

I will say USER friendly-wise it sucks. To go to the menu takes forever. To shutoff the alarm takes forever. to turn ON the alarm takes forever. on most phones you just hit a button and it turns the alarm off when it starts ringing. This one you have to "disable". Then you have to "ENABLE" it the night before, where as you can set other phones to do it daily. i hate that part

Flight_740
01-02-2008, 02:44 PM
RAZR V3M has been great to me for a year.

jbiscuit
01-02-2008, 02:51 PM
FWIW I have SPrint and I can't WAIT to get rid of them once my contract is up. The service and signal strength is horrible. I can't even use the phone in my kitchen or it will drop the call right away. Basement? Don't even try it. I take a step TOWARDS the basement and it'll drop the call. If you are IN the basement with the phone on you and someone calls it won't ring....you'll get the missed call 2-3 hours later. I hate it. I had US Cellular prior and they were OK. I switched because their lack of nice phones pissed me off.

Flight_740
01-02-2008, 03:17 PM
I think US cell is a great company if you use a phone for just a phone as I do.

xxsn0blindxx
01-02-2008, 05:27 PM
I have AT&T as well and a RAZR i just got a couple months ago. Works like a charm.

I will say USER friendly-wise it sucks. To go to the menu takes forever. To shutoff the alarm takes forever. to turn ON the alarm takes forever. on most phones you just hit a button and it turns the alarm off when it starts ringing. This one you have to "disable". Then you have to "ENABLE" it the night before, where as you can set other phones to do it daily. i hate that part

If you hit the red button it will turn off the alarm, but not disable it so it will work again the next day. Also, if you flip the phone open and close it, it snoozes. You can specify the snooze time as well.

xxsn0blindxx
01-02-2008, 05:30 PM
FWIW I have SPrint and I can't WAIT to get rid of them once my contract is up. The service and signal strength is horrible. I can't even use the phone in my kitchen or it will drop the call right away. Basement? Don't even try it. I take a step TOWARDS the basement and it'll drop the call. If you are IN the basement with the phone on you and someone calls it won't ring....you'll get the missed call 2-3 hours later. I hate it. I had US Cellular prior and they were OK. I switched because their lack of nice phones pissed me off.

I had bad luck with Sprint when I had them 7 years ago. I was never certain if it was their service or my Samsung phone that was the cause of the problem, but the damn thing was constantly losing service. The phone hada feature where it would beep every time it switched from digital to analog mode and the thing beeped all the time. I swore off Sprint for the longest time, but I figured they were better by now.

Russ Jerome
01-02-2008, 05:43 PM

Worst cell provider for 7 yrs running, I can attest to it myself.

Scales
01-05-2008, 07:28 AM
My wife and I both have the Samsung Sync and we both don't like it. If using it just for a phone, it would be fine. But everything else sucks. The camera is soooo slow it is only good for pictures of completely still objects, the text input is soooo slow I can type faster then it, the T9 dictionary learns your mistakes and uses them as words, the MP3 player is really quiet, i could probably go on for a bit, but this was already a really long run-on. Long story short, we are both looking forward to our upgade time....

TURTLE
01-05-2008, 02:08 PM
nextel ftmfw!

i've had nextel for going on 4 years now...

i730 - motorola... good phone, no major flaws, just replaced the hinge after about 18 months of rough service...
i580 - motorola.. this this is a friggin tank! l love this phone... i can drop it, not have to worry about it getting wet... a little pricey, but worth it if you're rough on phones like more car guys can be at times...

nextel from what i can understand is kinda hit and miss on service... albeit i haven't had an issue with anything up to this point... good rate plans, easy billing options... customer service was good when nextel was seperate, now some sprint stores handle nextel phones, some don't...

i recommend the sprint store by brookefield square, they were VERY helpful when i had an issue with the screen on my phone, and got most of my billing issues(mosly carelessness on my part) taken care of very quickly...

badass88gt
01-05-2008, 04:05 PM
I bought a Motorola ROKR phone. I like it so far, plus Cellcom gave me a ton of free stuff/discounts to keep me from going elsewhere.

0TransAm0
01-05-2008, 07:05 PM
i got the razor 2 and its been great sofar....

Deggy
01-05-2008, 07:12 PM
i got the razor 2 and its been great sofar....

i heard a lot of good things about the RAZR 2...i don't like motorolla products, but i might get one..

70challenger452
01-06-2008, 11:23 AM
considering my first couple phones were kyoceras(sp?) and I hated them all with deep passion, but then I got a motorola, loved it, then after like a year and a half I had charging issues, my first problem, so then I got the newer version, and I love it. Not a single issue