PDA

View Full Version : A Death At Gld Dragway

Firefighter Z
09-02-2003, 12:26 AM
A race accident involving Clyde Gensua of Frankford, ILL, occurred on Saturday, August 30th, at approximately 6:39 PM at Great Lakes Dragaway. The driver was performing a test and tune time run. Upon completing a quarter mile pass at approximately 8.5 seconds@150 MPH, the participant's motor expired, which resulted in the driver losing control of his vehicle after driving over the resulting oil and coolant discharge from the blown engine. Flight for Life was called in and the participant was taken to Aurora Hospital, Kenosha, WI, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

We here at Great Lakes Dragaway wish to express our sincere condolences to Clyde's family and friends. Please keep the Gensua family in your thoughts and prayers.

Scales
09-02-2003, 10:38 AM
OMG!!!!!!!! I was there then. The announcer told everyone that the driver survived. When we left at around midnight, there were no further updates about the crash... The guy I was there with (Bustamove) had just taken a pic of the car as it passed about the 1/8 mile point. We both looked down at the camera to see the pic., so neither of us saw the crash. I heard a loud noise and turned to look at the end of the track. By that point, it was completely engulfed in smoke! Neither of us really thought it was that serious of a crash. That they were just down there cleaning up the scene. Then the flight for life landed and we new it was much more serious!!!!

jon_we4
09-02-2003, 11:53 AM
wasnt there a death two years ago on the same day? :(

Knyghtmare
09-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Damn... We were playing paintball and saw the flgiht for life fly over...

Crawlin
09-02-2003, 08:28 PM
Jon, a photographer died when a car jumped the guardrail in '98 i think it was. don't remember if it was same weekend though.

Chris