PDA

View Full Version : Transfering from DVR to computer

Rocket Power
12-23-2007, 12:29 PM
How can you transfer a program from a dvr to a computer. There are some shows I'd like to keep but don't want to clog up the DVR, so I'd like to transfer them to a computer to watch them later. I have a S-video jack in the computer if that helps.

Ricky Bobby
12-23-2007, 12:41 PM
i know the s-video works so i dunno :durr

Rocket Power
12-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Yeah I figured i would need the Svideo cable to go between them, but what program do I need to record it onto the computer.

Ricky Bobby
12-23-2007, 01:24 PM
that i have no idea sorry :(

Myles
12-23-2007, 01:28 PM
the s-video on your computer is most likley an s-video out, to display onto a TV. Now if it is a TV Tuner card, or a video capture card then its an input. Most of the time, you can take apart the DVR unit and hook the harddrive up to your comp and just copy the video over. That would then depend on what format the DVR saves the video as.

Heat Seeker WS6
12-23-2007, 03:43 PM
What Myles said- BUT don't start taking your cable box apart. Make sure your PC has S-vid or Yellow (composite video) AND red & white audio RCA inputs. You may have to get a multimedia card with capture/edit software since most 'puters don't have them.
Then just run the outputs from the DVR to the multimedia inputs. Use the capture software, que up your DVR'd shows & your good to go.

SSDude
12-23-2007, 04:59 PM
I had done a little research into this lately as i wanted to transfer some recordings from the dvr as well as some Hi8 tapes to the computer. One of the biggest problems you can encounter with longer transfers is loosing the sync between audio and video because of how the computer processes each. I couldn't find any reasonably priced equipment.
My solution was to buy a dvd recorder and play the recordings to it. Time consuming but works well. Found a Panasonic DMR-EZ27K from the Best Buy ebay outlet store for $90.
If someone else has a better solution i'd be happy to hear it.:thumbsup

If you Google your DVR model you'll find a lot of message boards telling you how to hack your box but i'm not that brave.

Heat Seeker WS6
12-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Then go this route to avoid sync probs....
I have a cheap DVD recorder and have never had any sync probs dubbing from the DVR to DVD's. Building on having success with that... then rip the DVD to the computer. :thumbsup

Rocket Power
12-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Then go this route to avoid sync probs....
I have a cheap DVD recorder and have never had any sync probs dubbing from the DVR to DVD's. Building on having success with that... then rip the DVD to the computer. :thumbsup

Sounds like that's the way to go.

79SS
12-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Buy a tv card for your pc and hook up your cable/sat to the tv card.Milwaukee PC sells them and they include the software you need.I have one and it works great.

SSDude
12-23-2007, 07:19 PM
What you'll have to get used to doing is setting your computer to record your shows.
You will want to find a good card with good software. Any recommendations out there?
This will work best if you have a newer fast computer.:thumbsup