PDA

View Full Version : Japanese "Assembled in America"??

Knyghtmare
08-28-2003, 08:51 PM
Ok, I got into this conversation with a friend of mine today on what constitutes as an American company/car. I am curious of what some of you other guys may think.

This is not a thread to cut on Japanese or American cars, but just opinions of one another. A civil conversation, not that I have ever seen any of us fight with each other. This isnt for Japansese cars alone either, it holds true for other companies as well. Japan is just a good example.

My friend believes that just because Honda(for example) was started in Japan does not make it a Japanese car. He says that because some parts are made here and that the vehicle is assembled here by American workers then that makes it an American car. He says American Honda is an American company and is NOT a division of Honda Motors.

My opinions are that if the company started in Japan, then any vehicle made of that design and carrying that name, no matter where its assembled or a part is made, then that makes it a Japanese car. I said (as previously posted) that my car was assempled in Canada but that doesnt make Chevy a Canadian company or the f-body a Canadian car. I said that the only reason that Honda is assembled here is because it costs less to ship MORE individual parts which in the end will create more cars than it does to ship less fully assembled ready cars and that one of the reasons parts are made here is to use our raw materials and resources all so the Japanese company will create more profit by cutting these shipping and raw materials costs. Yes, it makes American jobs, but thats not the point of the conversation. Even if American Honda isnt a division of Honda Motors they are still using the name and the car so Honda Motors gets a percentage anyway... Either way it all leads back to creating more profit for Japan company, making it a Japanese car.

He said then to start a business... I said if I did start a business then it would be an American business and I would have things assembled in Japan so American kids would buy them and import to Japan would be cheaper. He then said that if it was assembled and parts were made in Japan then that would make it a Japanese company when I believe its still American.

...and agian this is all opinions, may I be wrong or right, may he be wrong or right, its just how we see things. I am curious to know what some of you think about the subject and I am intersted in reading more points and comments and thoughts on the issues. No flames or arguments please. Thanks.

Anakonda69
08-28-2003, 09:04 PM
i agree with u......so i won't repeat everything u just said....lol:goof

Knyghtmare
08-28-2003, 09:08 PM
It seems tho, that no one else really even cares. Its all good, I was just curious anyway. :haveabeer

JohnnyT
08-28-2003, 09:58 PM
Of course Honda America is a division of Honda Motors - Japan. It's not like they are seperate companies. There are many reasons that they have assembly plants in the U.S. but they are still a Japanese owned and run company...

SMS 1
08-28-2003, 11:12 PM
Everything you said is correct and makes sense.

What I find to be an equally interesting topic is what can be said about the big 3 buying up a bunch of these overseas companies? Ford-Jaguar , Chrysler-Mercedes, GM-Saab. Are these now American companies? Or are they still European?

JohnnyT
08-28-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by SMS 1
Everything you said is correct and makes sense.

What I find to be an equally interesting topic is what can be said about the big 3 buying up a bunch of these overseas companies? Ford-Jaguar , Chrysler-Mercedes, GM-Saab. Are these now American companies? Or are they still European?

It all depends on percentages of ownership. Generally, you look to see where the corporate headquarters are located. That will give you a good idea of what the "home country" is, not that it will tell you everything. Things are getting more and more complicated in the "world market" we have these days...

SMS 1
08-28-2003, 11:31 PM
I agree, my opinion is that if they are owned by American companies THEY are now American companies. They may still be European cars, but American companies.

JC70SS
08-28-2003, 11:33 PM
Where does the money(profit) go to when an American buys a Honda?? To Japan. That is exactly why I will never buy one.

-Joe

SMS 1
08-28-2003, 11:40 PM
Unless you buy it second hand and that person buys an American car with the money!:headbang