PDA

View Full Version : Gps?

GRNDNL
08-27-2003, 12:16 AM
Though I saw an ad some where for a GPS unit that would run off your laptop and had a small ant. that you put on top of your dash, it was like $100 or so. Anybody know where to find a unit like that? How do they work? I've got a little road trip comming up.

:3gears:

Thanks, Keith

Syclone0044
08-27-2003, 01:39 AM
Try looking up "DeLorme". One of my customers had this yellow box plugged into his laptop, you could run it in the car and it would automatically put a dot on the map and move it every time you made a turn. In fact I think it would speak to you "Turn left up ahead" if you plotted a trip. Really impressive stuff.

SSScottSS
08-27-2003, 01:43 AM
I use a Delorme GPS unit on a daily basis. The Delorme package is by far the best set up out there, for the price. For around $130 you get get the receiver(usb) and the software. The software has every street in the US on it, and it will all fit on your hard drive and run w/o the cd.
Mine is a cpl years old now, but I would def. recommend it to anyone considering a laptop gps setup.

It also has a speedometer built in which is dead nuts accurate, which is a nice little feature.

indyzmike
08-28-2003, 02:58 AM
I just setup a laptop in our motorhome to use GPS. I used Delorme software and a Garmin Etrex Legend for the reciever. It gives verbal route instructions and takes voice commands. I mounted the laptop and Etrex on a Jotto desk with the power supplies and inverter mounted on the bottom.
The Delorme software works good and is easy to use. There is a nice option to change the maps to a black background so it is not too bright at night. Sometimes the screen is hard to see during the daytime.
I used the Etrex so that when I get to where I am going I can unplug it and use it as a handheld portable for fishing or snowmobiling. Some people could even use it to find their car when the come out of the mall.

Mike

GRNDNL
08-28-2003, 01:29 PM
Called Delorme, looks like a nice product. Needs a min of a PII and Windows 98, my old crusty and trusty lap top has neither....bummer. Anybody have a older laptop laying around they want to sell?..