PDA

View Full Version : A Few Tech Questions (Xbox 360 and Internet)

Flicktitty
12-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Hey guys i have a couple of questions for all of you big Tech guys.

1. I am getting a New Desktop Computer (HP) For Christmas, (already have it just don't get it till Christmas. And that is going in the "TV/Computer room" My mom Has a New Dell in Her Office. And i am taking this old Computer Downstairs to my room (Old Dell/Windows 98) But i was trying to talk her into Getting Wireless internet so she has internet on Her computer and the one downstairs as well as the new one. How about would i go about getting that setup? Just go to Walmart/Best buy and get a Wireless Router? And what would i have to do to get the old computer to work with Wireless?

2. Also I just bought Xbox Live today. :) What else do i need to buy to get it working? (i bought the 3 month thing, i already have the 360) I know you have to by an eathernet cable (sP?) But it says to hook it up to the Modem i believe? Well if i have wireless internet down in my room how do i work that?

Cleveland Dave
12-16-2007, 03:20 PM
for the 360 in order to have it work with wireless u will need to buy the wireless adapter for around 100 bucks.

otherwise just run a ethernet cable from ur router or modem to the back of the xbox.

Poncho
12-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Or if you have a computer already on wireless connect the 360 to the computer and share the connection

wikked
12-17-2007, 09:32 AM
So you have to subscribe to Xbox Live $8/mo, plus buy a $100 adapter if you want wireless?

I always wondered why Xbox360 is so cheap...

PS3 network = free
PS3 also has built in wireless.

Xbox live should be free, that's nearly $100/yr extra... gay.

Waver
12-17-2007, 10:15 AM
for computer wireless you need a router (a good one will run you 45-120 bucks) and matching wireless cards (or usb receivers) and they go for about 35-100 bucks

05caddyext
12-17-2007, 11:55 AM
got my ps3 on black friday

$420 total with tax. Came with the 40gig unit, spiderman3 blu-ray, an extra wireless controller (2 total.) and call of duty4. Free internet, 5 free blu-ray discs with mail in offer. Couldn't go wrong

Flicktitty
12-17-2007, 01:49 PM
for computer wireless you need a router (a good one will run you 45-120 bucks) and matching wireless cards (or usb receivers) and they go for about 35-100 bucks

so i need to get a wireless card for each computer that is running on wireless? I thought some newer computers had something built in to run wireless?

Myles
12-17-2007, 02:09 PM
so i need to get a wireless card for each computer that is running on wireless? I thought some newer computers had something built in to run wireless?

some computers have built in wireless. But yes you need to get a card for each one unless the new computer you are getting has it built in.

Karps TA
12-17-2007, 02:35 PM
You can get the Xbox wireless adapter used from Gamestop for usually $60.

Poncho
12-17-2007, 03:09 PM
So you have to subscribe to Xbox Live $8/mo, plus buy a $100 adapter if you want wireless?

I always wondered why Xbox360 is so cheap...

PS3 network = free
PS3 also has built in wireless.

Xbox live should be free, that's nearly $100/yr extra... gay.

XBox Live is free. You can still download shit get updates, etc.

the only benefit for XBox Live GOLD is the ability to play against others, really.

Yooformula
12-17-2007, 07:10 PM
got my ps3 on black friday

$420 total with tax. Came with the 40gig unit, spiderman3 blu-ray, an extra wireless controller (2 total.) and call of duty4. Free internet, 5 free blu-ray discs with mail in offer. Couldn't go wrong

thats a great deal imo and I would have gotten one too if I had seen that.

theavenger333
12-17-2007, 08:07 PM
XBox Live is free. You can still download shit get updates, etc.

the only benefit for XBox Live GOLD is the ability to play against others, really.

xbox live is most certainly not free. where'd you get that idea?

Poncho
12-17-2007, 08:10 PM
xbox live is most certainly not free. where'd you get that idea?

Cuz I've had X-Box Live "Silver" regular access from day one. It's free

X-Box Live "Gold" is the charge service

Karps TA
12-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Gold Membership
Enhance your experience with great online multiplayer gameplay, exclusive and early access to content, TrueSkill matchmaking, and even more with premium Gold membership.

Free Silver Membership
Silver membership is instant and included with your Xbox 360 console. All you need is a broadband Internet connection, and you can access exclusive game content like game demos, gamer pictures, and even new levels!

lilws6
12-17-2007, 09:17 PM
durr lol gamer noob silver is free gold is so you can play with others online

Waver
12-18-2007, 09:40 AM
If your computer dosnt have it in it already it is not that hard to install an internal one, however the USB ones work just as well and plug into the ehternet port on the back of the computer.....I have one on my desktop and it works fine.. When you are in the milwaukee area next let me know, I can show you the options that you have and explain the differences ..... Basically what you want to look for is range and transfer speed....if you have brick walls in the house then the higher for both is what you will need because the signal is weaker....If you dont have any brick walls then you cna go with just a basic setup....I am partial to Lynksis, d link, and netgear routers.....stay from the belkin and the no name routers....total junk.

wikked
12-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Still a racket... the whole point of a video game machine being networked, is to play other people.
Demos are cool for about 5mins.

Typical Micro$oftery.

(no bias here :D)