PDA

View Full Version : Hobbyist Plates and Emissions . . .

SMS 1
08-25-2003, 11:39 PM
Just wondering if anyone can help me out here . . .

What I have is a 1983 Z28,
I live in Ozaukee county (emissions tested county)
I need to get around this!

In the past I have been able to bif the reg. papers to either show another address or primary county. However I am aware that one of the requirements for Hobbyist plates is an inspection per state police. So my question is, If I spoof the address or register outside of Oz. County will the state cops hassle me when they see that all of the emissions equipment is missing? Or don't they care about it as long as the car passes saftey tech?

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this!:confused

Knyghtmare
08-25-2003, 11:55 PM
What are the other restrictions on hobbyist plates? I wouldnt think they would care as long as everything looks right.

SMS 1
08-26-2003, 12:01 AM
This is what I know . . .
the car must be 20yrs. old, saftey inspected by state patrol, and emmissions tested at least once (:flipoff: EPA)

Here is a link for more info . . .
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/vehicles/personal/special/hobbyist.htm

Biggest prob is that there are many missing pieces of the smog stuff already. I don't know if I would have enough pieces to make it run on the smog stuff anymore :(

CruxGNZ
08-26-2003, 01:51 AM
I had to deal with this also and really needed to get around the whole emmisions thing, since a different engine was going into the engine bay. My Z is a '73. I emailed a lady at the DMV and told her that I didn't want to deal with emissions. I said the car will be stored up north (no emmisions, no inspection) at my uncles place, which is a big lie. My uncles got a place up there, but I will never store it at his place. She said to have collector plates you need a vehicle that has not been altered from stock, but nobody checks if the vehicle has been altered. If you do alter a vehicle, then you need hobbiest plates. She (the DMV lady) said to mention on the registration papers that the car is stored in a county that doesn't require emmisions testing when applying for registration. I did and never had a problem. They sent me my collector plates and that was that. No problems since.:banana

Like was previously stated, for collector plates your vehicle must be at least 20 years old and yours just turned 20;)

It's seriously as simple as saying, "my vehicle is kept in the county of..." to get around emmisions. I still can't believe that a lady at the DMV helped me out. If I remember right it cost $140 (one time fee) for collector plates. The one catch is you can't legally drive your vehicle in the month of January:rolleyes: .

!M!

SMS 1
08-26-2003, 05:59 PM
I have been thinking about doing that, however, when this car is finished it will have a 5" cowl, 91-92 spoiler, 85+ ground effects, 87 IROC wheels, and a very visible roll cage, and probably very loud exhaust. Obviously wont look or sound like a stock '83:eek: Think they will give me crap for that? Or am I just freakin out for no reason?

Sorry guys, I'm usually not dumb! But this is one thing I've got to get right or I'm looking at mondo fines and or jail! I know you all know what I mean . . .

:rockwoot:

Crawlin
08-26-2003, 06:10 PM
if it looks like a '92, it's no big deal. they'll run the pates, and it will show that it's a '83 even if they do want to hassle you. they might hassle you for exhaust dB, but that's about it. if they want to get real picky, they could get you for the 5" cowl hood cause it disrupts your view. good luck and sounds like a cool setup!

Chris

just drive sanely and you'll be fine

JR HAWK 9
08-27-2003, 02:53 PM
if you know somebody in a non-tested area, transfer the address of where the vehicle is kept to that non-tested address and then apply for hobbyist plates :) When I got them for my '77 Cutlass, I didn't have to get anything tested, as I lived in a non-testing county (Brown).

Paul