PDA

View Full Version : How fast is the new Chevy SS Silverado.. or Dodge Hemi magnum?

BoogieQ
08-25-2003, 04:30 PM
Anyone know quarter mile times and power specs for these trucks??

BAD LS1
08-25-2003, 04:35 PM
The Silverado SS has been noted in motor trend at a 15.3 @ 90

The Hemi Rams as far as i know are only in 2500-3500 model pick ups.

and those evidently are in the low 17 high 16 sec range or mid to low 16 sec.

Dodge boys correct me if im wrong on either the times or if they now come in 1500 models??

The SS makes 345 HP 6.0 L Vortec V8

Tom B

Silver350
08-25-2003, 04:39 PM
I think I have all that information in one of my truckin magazine. I will see if I still have it and I will try to remember to bring it to the BK show.

Anakonda69
08-26-2003, 12:27 AM
hemi's come in 1500 too.......from what i have heard from people who test drove each the ss stomps the hemi.......but that the hemi is no slouch

Prince Valiant
08-26-2003, 12:36 AM
ONly hemi ram I saw at the track with my own eyes was a quad cab 4x4...it turned a 16.1@85mph...

The fastest reliable time I've encountered by a reputable Moparts member was a 14.8x@87mph on a stripper model ram (reg cab, 2wd, very few options)...motor of course was bone stock.

A slew of regular cabs 2wd's are breaking into the 14's while quad cabs are solid low 15's. 4x4's are said to hit high 15's in good air.

Syclone0044
08-26-2003, 01:10 AM
Don't forget the little known Dodge 4.7L SOHC V8, I seen one personally run low 14 seconds STOCK with slicks and a 5 speed in a Dakota!! Puts the old "Dakota R/T" to shame even with its much bigger motor.

BAD LS1
08-26-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Syclone0044
Don't forget the little known Dodge 4.7L SOHC V8, I seen one personally run low 14 seconds STOCK with slicks and a 5 speed in a Dakota!! Puts the old "Dakota R/T" to shame even with its much bigger motor.

Josh,

"Bigger Motor" hey? Th R/T was electric??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

You mean bigger engine heheheheh, sorry... i get corrected for that all the time at work so id figure id rib you on it.

Tom B

ruhlahan
08-26-2003, 02:39 PM
yes, the 4.7 is impressive, if the person can drive lol... I raced a 2wd hemi ram reg cab, and pulled him, but barely, he also added a glass pack to his stock system, which probably took away some torque.. I'm not that impressed with the rams yet, I've driven a couple, they have great hp numbers, but the torque numbers are rather dissapointing... as for the ss, it reminds me of the extreme s-10, looks fast, but only goes fast after some mods, but when chevy makes a reg cab ss, then it should be in the 14's.. my brother just got a 3/4 ton with a 6.0, and his old half ton with the 5.3 was much quicker.. my chevy of choice still would be a stripped 5.3 half ton, high 14's out of the box

Prince Valiant
08-26-2003, 03:40 PM
I never can figure out why someone says that they are disapointed in the Hemi's torque #'s?

One thing I don't think people understand enough is that torque is limmited by engine displacement so the ~350ish ci Hemi should be measured against other motors of simmiliar size...so when you do that, 375ft-lbs of torque is VERY impressive...anytime one sees a mildly tuned motor putting out more than 1 ft-lb of torque per ci I think that is D@MN impressive.

Sure, the lazy old v-10 puts out 450ft-lbs, but that easy as it displaces 488ci...

ruhlahan
08-26-2003, 11:58 PM
I'm not dissin the hemi by any means... I just wasn't that impressed when I drove one. maybe I was expecting more so I was let down... and they don't put a 5spd behind one in the half tons, that would really wake it up

animal
08-27-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Prince Valiant
anytime one sees a mildly tuned motor putting out more than 1 ft-lb of torque per ci I think that is D@MN impressive.

Used to be, but not really anymore. In fact I'd say it's becoming alot more the standard with all the OHC engines.

Prince Valiant
08-27-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by animal
Used to be, but not really anymore. In fact I'd say it's becoming alot more the standard with all the OHC engines.
*sigh*

Torque production has nothing to do with camshaft location. Camshaft location does not facilitate any of the factors that determine how much torque a motor is capable of producing...

animal
08-27-2003, 12:57 PM
Hey I was giving it an excuse.. but fine.. then 375tq out of 350ci is really no more impressive than 350 out of a 330ci or 293 out of 281ci (used ford's modulars as an example). Hence people are saying it's not impressive.

Prince Valiant
08-27-2003, 12:59 PM
But it is greater:

375>350>293 :D

animal
08-27-2003, 01:01 PM
Well let's not get into a pure numbers game, because it's not the same class when you're talking fewer ci. It's really not all that great for how much it's hyped, and I'm sure that's kinda what ruhlahan was trying to say.

Prince Valiant
08-27-2003, 02:22 PM
Well, the hemi is a very hyped motor...as I think it should be. BUT I think some were under the erouneous impression that the Hemi would somehow equal the 426 HEMI of old...which I really can't say why people were under that impression.

I do know that when the hemi ram came out many asked "what's a hemi?" and thus learned for the first time of the old 426...maybe that lead to false expectations.

I am not too worried that this will turn out to be a let down...the first hemi's in the 50's weren't that spetacular...but boy, they finished with a bang (the 392) and such will be the case here.

We are seeing a mild truck (mild CR, mild cam, truck intake and it still puts out 345hp) version of the motor, and coming soon, mild car versions (300N and magnum). But, soon you will start to see wilder versions which may then lead people to see the current hemi in a better light.

I would defend the statement that of all the available NA V8's in half-ton trucks, it is the best...and really, that's all it needs to be.

ruhlahan
08-28-2003, 12:49 AM
I guess what I was hoping for was a production dodge truck that was able to at least hold a candle to a lightning, I saw the hp numbers, 345 to 385(?correct me if I'm wrong animal) and I thought the hemi would be a good contestant, then I drove one, then i saw the torque numbers, even though the 5.4 does have a supercharger, I was hoping the hemi woudl be a better fight with a few more cubes.. notice how chevy got bumped out here LOL:devil

animal
08-28-2003, 02:17 AM
380, but hey you did it in my favor so I won't hold it against you :)

Theoretically the Eaton M112 is supposed to be 112ci of positive displacement. Would it be reasonable to believe that it puts out numbers as if it was a 442ci engine?

I don't know the answer, I'm asking if that'd be true, or can't you really judge by that?

Prince Valiant
08-28-2003, 09:06 AM
That is a fairly accurate way of looking at it...