PDA

View Full Version : Good areas vs. Bad areas

michelle
12-13-2007, 03:25 PM
So I am a paranoid little girl who is afraid of the big, bad city. What areas should I avoid while I am doing this house shopping thing? Like certain streets to stay north and west of?

I'm looking at a house around 84th and Capital, is that a bad area?

You see, I am used to the middle of nowhere and looking at houses in Wauwatosa and West Allis right now. Adam did the whole "keep driving on Greenfield until you feel uncomfortable" thing, but that didn't work out well.

jbiscuit
12-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Stallis isn't bad if you don't mind bending over for the taxes. Lots of good homes for pretty decent prices to be had in Stallis. I looked for MONTHS in the $120K-150K range and there is a TON of junk out there. Buy a small house in a nice neighborhood if you have to.

Car Guy
12-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Boy is that a 'loaded' question, but I hear the area of Howell & Layton is really nice.....:shades

Did I ever get you those pictures of our house...??? I can't remember anything since it started snowing and now all PM's are months old.....:goof

:3gears::3gears::3gears:

Flicktitty
12-13-2007, 03:33 PM
What about Muskego? or Waukesha? Or New Berlin, Still close enough to the Big city but still not a "Big bad" city.

Al
12-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Cedarburg or Grafton and you will never have to worry about bad neighborhoods.

Z28Roxy
12-13-2007, 03:35 PM
What about Muskego? or Waukesha? Or New Berlin, Still close enough to the Big city but still not a "Big bad" city.

Are you trying to stay in the NW part of the Milwaukee area or does it matter?

michelle
12-13-2007, 03:37 PM
It can be anywhere as long as it is a reasonable commute into Milwaukee (near the stadium). I would obviously rather be as far out as possible.

Justin you never did get me those pictures. (:

Feature Pony
12-13-2007, 03:39 PM
I would stay away from 84th and Capital, its not to bad right now but I know cops that say 84th st is the cut off from good to bad. I would by a house in greendale if you want to stay on the north side. West allis isn't bad, there are nice houses, just stay west of 76th st and stallis isn't bad at all. On the southside anyhting south oklahoma is pretty good, but I would look into oak creek, south milwaukee, franklin. Right now its a buyers market and I wouldn't pay asking price for anything in this market. The bad thing about Milwaukee is that the city employees have to live in the city so the nice areas are usually driven up in price and on the outter edges of the city but they are nice neighborhoods.

Flicktitty
12-13-2007, 03:39 PM
It can be anywhere as long as it is a reasonable commute into Milwaukee (near the stadium). I would obviously rather be as far out as possible.

In That Case i'd Suggest, Muskego, Big Bend, Waukesha, New Berlin. Pretty much anything off of I-43 Between Muskego and The Stadium.

Oh and there is Mukwanago. I'm about 20 min from there and it takes me about 40 min to get to stadium.

michelle
12-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks! This really helps!

Feature Pony
12-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Hales Corners or muskego are nice too!!

CobraSnake
12-13-2007, 04:03 PM

I live in a beautiful home on 48th and cleveland it is right down the street from the stadium and is a very cop firefighter neighborhood you know? Its a little more neighborhoody then west allis plus the house prices aren't that bad.

HRSEPLA
12-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Feature Pony is right on with the in town specs, (except I think he meant Glendale if you want to stay North/East)
Or definately Muskego, Bid Bend, Vernon, Parts of Waukesha (although that is changing too)
It is definately a Buyer's market, DO NOT buy a house in the wrong area, you will regret it and not be able to sell it later, because everyone local knows the areas....

scottie K
12-13-2007, 04:37 PM
W/A is were its at :headbang

u_say_go
12-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Michelle, PM sent

Russ Jerome
12-13-2007, 04:53 PM
84th and Capitol wont work but there are fine areas very close by.
Im on 99th and Keefe, just west and south of that area and it is
pretty cool for the most part (buried off the parkway along Tosa).
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=Milwaukee,+WI+53222&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=70.239863,111.269531&ie=UTF8

If your buying a house Milw sucks for tax's and BS, wouldnt suggest
anybody buy in Milwaukee but there are ok areas. Milwaukee is one
of those rare gems left in America where you pay extremely high
tax's yet you pay a tippng fee to park on the street at night...the
street that is busted up with HUGE holes in it....of coarse we dont
have a high crime rate...oh snap we have a huge crime rate..well
hey we can swim in lake Michigan...oh no that right we cant........

Prince Valiant
12-13-2007, 04:53 PM
I'd try to look in Wauwatosa...although home prices there tend to be a fair bit higher...

Slow Joe
12-13-2007, 04:57 PM
Anywhere in Waukesha County, no closer.... IMO

BadAzzGTA89
12-13-2007, 07:56 PM
So I am a paranoid little girl who is afraid of the big, bad city. What areas should I avoid while I am doing this house shopping thing? Like certain streets to stay north and west of?

I'm looking at a house around 84th and Capital, is that a bad area?

You see, I am used to the middle of nowhere and looking at houses in Wauwatosa and West Allis right now. Adam did the whole "keep driving on Greenfield until you feel uncomfortable" thing, but that didn't work out well.

I say the 84th and capitol area is ok!
I live on 87th a block south of capitol and is a lot of older people and young familys never had any trouble!
On a side note im on the west side of 87th and all homes from the west side of 87th and up use to be wauwatosa note the brick homes great area!!!

Rocket Power
12-13-2007, 08:04 PM

$$$$$:rolf
Or I would have bought there. I like west allis other than the high taxes. I tried complaining since they valued my house higher than I paid for it buy about 10K. But the city guy said it was right for west of 84th and north of greenfield, so I must be in the Elm Grove section of Stallis:rolf

When we sell we're probably moving west of here to the Muskego, new berlin, mukwonago area. Oak Creek is nice too, we rented out there before we bought our house.

Karps TA
12-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Another tip is look for places not in cities. Like villages and towns. 9 times out of 10, it means less taxes.

The taxes in Muskego drive me nuts. Especially when my folks live a couple miles west of me in the Town of Vernon have 11 times the amount of land, and 3 times the size of house but only pay $600 more a year then me.

Flicktitty
12-13-2007, 08:17 PM
I didn't know how much money those places were, I live all the way out in Delavan so i don't that stuff.

Mssplayboybunie
12-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Greendale is awesome, everyone's nice and friendly, nice homes too...stay away from South Milwaukee..its getting bad and the taxes suck! everyone's selling

Lash
12-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Stay away from Milwaukee County as far as I'm concerned......and not just for crime reasons.

Look for something in Waukesha.

Al
12-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Check that area west of 41 and north of blumound. Wauwatosa is nice. There area few places up for sale around wisconsin lutheran college.

Slow Joe
12-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Stay away from Milwaukee County as far as I'm concerned......and not just for crime reasons.

Look for something in Waukesha.

Agreed times a million... I thought about buying my grandma's house, but I'm scared about the neighborhood changing too quickly and loosing my ass on it... :stare P.S. It's in Milwaukee...

DynoTom
12-13-2007, 11:56 PM
I have been in West Allis for 39 years and in the last 10 years or so the city has gone downhill pretty bad....check the crime rates and sex offender lists and you will see West Allis has a pretty bad amount of both !

I'm outta Stallis in 08 heading for Hartford ! JMO....

Smokey1226
12-14-2007, 12:05 AM
If your looking for any houses in the New Berling/Muskego (good place to give and about 5-7 minutes from our station). I can get you into and look at any of the houses. I am a Real Estate Agent as well, so getting into for walk throughs isnt a problem.

DynoTom
12-14-2007, 12:06 AM
I have been in West Allis for 39 years and in the last 10 years or so the city has gone downhill pretty bad....check the crime rates and sex offender lists and you will see West Allis has a pretty bad amount of both !

I'm outta Stallis in 08 heading for Hartford ! JMO....

No offense to any Stallis people was intended in my post.....

Poncho
12-14-2007, 12:25 AM
I'm in Jackson, and to get to Miller Park is 30 min

from Hartford where I lived it's about 40-45 Min, only a few more miles than Jackson, but low speeds and have to go thru another town just to get to 41.

Bart H
12-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Do not buy in Milwaukee coutny if you can help it. Almost any where in Waukesha is better than 85% of Milwaukee. How much are you looking to spend?

GRNDNL
12-14-2007, 12:07 PM
This is easy, anything east of 124th St and south of Capital Dr is bad.........

Mr Twigbert
12-14-2007, 01:03 PM
I suggest the NW side.. Near N. 107th & Good Hope Rd. Which is District Four..

If you want something closer to Miller Park I can give you some tips where to live in District Three.. Just shoot me a PM if you are considering that area..

300pny
12-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Thanks! This really helps!

Check out the Condos in the 3rd ward...There killer, fully secured. Move somewhere warm this snow and cold sucks

michelle
12-14-2007, 01:43 PM
I'd like to live as far out of Milwaukee as possible. I grew up in Hubertus, so I am not used to the busy areas like Wauwatosa or West Allis. It just isn't me. I rather drive 15 minutes to go to a bigger store like Target, then live 5 minutes away from it.

Bart H
12-14-2007, 04:12 PM
You could try Menomenee Falls, Germantown, Sussex area.

Red97GTP
12-14-2007, 04:32 PM
I've got a pretty nice setup here on 6th and Walnut.

http://www.in2control.co.uk/content/hatw%5CFavela%20house.JPG

:goof

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Wauwatosa and West Allis busy, lol

I think there is a big box prit near 5 minutes from anywhere now~em~days, good luck, have you considered staying where you are ?

jbiscuit
12-14-2007, 04:59 PM
you guys are wussy. :rolf some of you are scared of some of these areas? ha ha ha ha ha ha

OH and you won't LOSE money in Milwaukee County on a house.

Ricky Bobby
12-14-2007, 05:19 PM
im in greenfield on 91 and coldpring i like the area quiet nothing happens around here unless im playin with one of my derby cars :thumbsup lived here for 3yrs taxes are good lots of nice houses if i had a choice i like franklin lots of land and u can be out aways but not away from everything if that makes sense lol

Berettaspeed
12-14-2007, 06:38 PM
i would stay away from there. its border lineing and its only going to get worse. make sure your deep into the decent areas.