PDA

View Full Version : winter beater

CobraSnake
12-13-2007, 10:25 AM
well I posted it before but, I figured I would start the first post back up here so heres my 1997 Jeep wrangler that I drive when it rains or snows.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/yellowcobra/HPIM0040.jpg?t=1197563087

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Post up the old hippie model for a nice comparison. :D Seriously man just kidding around.
That looks like a great winter beater, is a 4 cylinder Wrangler a fuel pincher ? Is it automatic trans ?

That color is really weird it almost looks like one of those "flip/chameleon" type paints, I do not think I have seen one that color, is it a rare color ?

pickardracing
12-13-2007, 03:09 PM
No Rubicon?

:D

CobraSnake
12-13-2007, 04:06 PM
No Rubicon?

:D

no you asked this before. And since I don't know how to quote two things at once without making me have to fix everything, i'll answer the first guys questions too. It is a 4 cyclinder and it really doesn't get that great of gas mileage. I guess its the way I drive. Oh yeah and BTW its a 5 speed. I couldn't tell you if its a rare color but, i've never seen this color on other wrangler so it must be.

Mark

lasttimearound
12-13-2007, 04:13 PM
it is rare for 97. and the gas milage is sh*t because the 4cyl come with like 4.88s or something close from the factory

lasttimearound
12-13-2007, 04:14 PM
oh! and chrysler never made a very efficient 4cyl, so gas mileage sucks for most of their cars when compared to similar motors

Prince Valiant
12-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Comes with 4.56 gears. And the mileage sucks not because the engine isn't very efficient (although it's not the greatest) but because the wrangler has been the least aerodynamic vehicle for probably 40 years now. It's funny that the aerodynamics are so bad that it almost gets as good a mileage in the city as it does on the hwy. It's rated city mileage actually isn't too bad at 19mpg...it's light and at "city" speeds, aero forces play less a role in mpg figures.

My brother has a 95 with a header and a couple other mods (rockers, etc) that does fairly well. It's no 4.0, but it'll put the hurt on a 4.2 in a drag race. Best mileage tailgaiting semi's coming back from MN was ~ 23mpg. Without, he typically gets 17-19mpg.

I've been eyeing one with the 2.4 with more HP and maybe a little more efficiency. Probably just end up with a truck though :(

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-13-2007, 05:01 PM
That house/car park looks to be pretty excellent as well.

CobraSnake
12-14-2007, 08:44 AM
thanks for the compliments guys. I had to drive to madison yesterday and man is this jeep slow. I can't accellerate up hill at all, most of the time I deaccellerate but, it is great in the snow and thats pretty much why i bought it.

Mark

Yooformula
12-14-2007, 08:45 AM
dejavu. Nice looking Jeep though!

lit666
12-14-2007, 09:56 AM
thanks for the compliments guys. I had to drive to madison yesterday and man is this jeep slow. I can't accellerate up hill at all, most of the time I deaccellerate but, it is great in the snow and thats pretty much why i bought it.

Mark

I hear your Jeep is faster then your Mustang. Care to comment? :devil

CobraSnake
12-15-2007, 12:26 AM
I hear your Jeep is faster then your Mustang. Care to comment? :devil

its faster then your broken car at the moment. Care to comment? :devil

lit666
12-15-2007, 10:02 AM
eyah it's broken, I won't deny that. Yes both of your cars are faster then my broken pile. I'm going to go cry now. thx alot Mark.

Jsho13
12-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Comes with 4.56 gears. And the mileage sucks not because the engine isn't very efficient (although it's not the greatest) but because the wrangler has been the least aerodynamic vehicle for probably 40 years now. It's funny that the aerodynamics are so bad that it almost gets as good a mileage in the city as it does on the hwy. It's rated city mileage actually isn't too bad at 19mpg...it's light and at "city" speeds, aero forces play less a role in mpg figures.

My brother has a 95 with a header and a couple other mods (rockers, etc) that does fairly well. It's no 4.0, but it'll put the hurt on a 4.2 in a drag race. Best mileage tailgaiting semi's coming back from MN was ~ 23mpg. Without, he typically gets 17-19mpg.

I've been eyeing one with the 2.4 with more HP and maybe a little more efficiency. Probably just end up with a truck though :(

Some good points. I have had an 88 with the 4.2 and a 97 with the 4.0. Both were pretty bad on gas. I think I got better gas mileage with my TA than my Jeeps. Loved the Jeep around the city but absolutely hated it when I had to drive long distances. A couple trips up north and back were enough for me to put the for sale sign on it. With the 4.0 it had more than enough power for hills and to run 75+. It was the wind that I couldn't stand. Its a kite on wheels, every gust of wind you feel. Because it's so light the Jeep gets pushed around.

CobraSnake
12-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Some good points. I have had an 88 with the 4.2 and a 97 with the 4.0. Both were pretty bad on gas. I think I got better gas mileage with my TA than my Jeeps. Loved the Jeep around the city but absolutely hated it when I had to drive long distances. A couple trips up north and back were enough for me to put the for sale sign on it. With the 4.0 it had more than enough power for hills and to run 75+. It was the wind that I couldn't stand. Its a kite on wheels, every gust of wind you feel. Because it's so light the Jeep gets pushed around.

exactly I was driving to madison and it happened to be really windy that day. Well i don't know if it was really winding or just the jeep bit my hood almost blew open. I pulled over to check it out and I guess I just forgot to close it all the way. You know the clips on the side I guess I just put those on the last time I was in there.

Mark

Jsho13
12-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Here's a pic of my 97'. Sold it a couple years ago for the Grand Prix. (yes smiley faces are kinda gay but I did eventually replace them with black light covers. Those lights kicked ass up north in the woods though). Went off road pretty well, 31" BF Goodrich All Terrain tires.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Jsho13/JoshsPictures026.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Jsho13/JoshsPictures019.jpg

CobraSnake
12-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Here's a pic of my 97'. Sold it a couple years ago for the Grand Prix. (yes smiley faces are kinda gay but I did eventually replace them with black light covers. Those lights kicked ass up north in the woods though). Went off road pretty well, 31" BF Goodrich All Terrain tires.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Jsho13/JoshsPictures026.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Jsho13/JoshsPictures019.jpg

nice and a hard top too. My hardtop in the front where it latches doesn't latch on one side and that gets annoying too when I'm driving fast because it makes a wind tunnel noise. Plus i'm sure its robbing even more gas mileage.

Mark

Jsho13
12-15-2007, 11:40 AM
It was an aftermarket purchase. The factory soft top had a few tears and I found one with windows too. Can't remember the name of the hard top but it sealed very well and kept heat in. I will own another jeep someday when I have the cash for a "extra car." I loved it in the snow and summer, it was just the long trips that made me move to a car.

CobraSnake
12-16-2007, 02:08 AM
It was an aftermarket purchase. The factory soft top had a few tears and I found one with windows too. Can't remember the name of the hard top but it sealed very well and kept heat in. I will own another jeep someday when I have the cash for a "extra car." I loved it in the snow and summer, it was just the long trips that made me move to a car.

nice. I was just driving through the snow today and I remember why I bought it.

Mark

Prince Valiant
12-16-2007, 08:09 PM
My brother just help his next door neighbor by the all-new wrangler. WOW! total night and day difference b/w his 95/2.5 and her 07/3.8. The newer jeep almost feels like a normal little SUV compared to my brothers wrangler. Torquey, does very well at hwy speeds, great stereo, and the hard top and doors do a good job of quelling the wind noise and heat loss...

If it wasn't for the solid axle, I'd say it wasn't a wrangler!

GRAMPS SS
12-16-2007, 08:32 PM
well I posted it before but, I figured I would start the first post back up here so heres my 1997 Jeep wrangler that I drive when it rains or snows.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/yellowcobra/HPIM0040.jpg?t=1197563087

would look good parked next to joes SAAB :headbang:headbang :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf :goof

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
12-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Good point Wayne

Slow Joe
12-16-2007, 09:41 PM
would look good parked next to Kristie's SAAB :headbang:headbang :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf :goof

And actually they're two REALLY DIFFERENT COLORS!!!

I miss my '98 Wrangler with the 2.5L I4 and M5. I remember it slowing down going up hills... The soft top was noisy in the winter, and it rode hard... But it's a friggen Wrangler!! :thumbsup

Good buy!! Only thing I wish mine'd of had was Cruise control... LOL

CobraSnake
12-17-2007, 09:59 AM
And actually they're two REALLY DIFFERENT COLORS!!!

I miss my '98 Wrangler with the 2.5L I4 and M5. I remember it slowing down going up hills... The soft top was noisy in the winter, and it rode hard... But it's a friggen Wrangler!! :thumbsup

Good buy!! Only thing I wish mine'd of had was Cruise control... LOL
yeah I know right. I was driving to madison and I kept forgetting I didn't have it.

Mark

Waver
12-17-2007, 10:13 AM
would look good parked next to joes SAAB :headbang:headbang :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf :goof

yeah, the jeep might be able to blend in with the other vehicles that are in the parking lot, there is no way in hell the saab will ever blend in lol

Prince Valiant
12-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Cruise control was actually the first mod my brother did...on the turn signal like the old days. Not the hardest thing to install...but is a pita

Only thing is, on the hwy if you hit a hill, cruise does little to help...but still, 97% of the time, cruise is awesome for that thing.

CobraSnake
12-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Cruise control was actually the first mod my brother did...on the turn signal like the old days. Not the hardest thing to install...but is a pita

Only thing is, on the hwy if you hit a hill, cruise does little to help...but still, 97% of the time, cruise is awesome for that thing.

I'll definitely look into that.

Mark

Jsho13
12-17-2007, 11:31 AM
I'll definitely look into that.

Mark

Oh yeah thats another reason I decided to sell, no cruise! 3 hour trips up north really sucked and that gas pedal was pretty stiff = sore leg. That and no a/c were a couple negatives of my jeep.

CobraSnake
12-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Oh yeah thats another reason I decided to sell, no cruise! 3 hour trips up north really sucked and that gas pedal was pretty stiff = sore leg. That and no a/c were a couple negatives of my jeep.

yeah I have AC that pumps out beautifully but the no cruise kinda sucks. I'm used to the whole sore leg thing with my left leg from my mustang.

Mark