PDA

View Full Version : who thinks barry bonds should be in the hall of fame?

forcefedss
08-08-2007, 05:41 PM
ive been hearing this shit all day on the radio while at work. i just want to know whats everyones opinions.

i think no, he should not. ya so, he hit 756hr's. great, thats an awesome feat. but the whole thing that bothers me is that he was on steriods and hank aaron wasnt. if the MLB had such a strict policy about steriods, why doesnt Bonds get any penalties? he claims that he didnt know that someone was slipping him a performance enhancer, you still took it, it was in your blood system, so basically you took the performance enhancer and thats that. what happened to mark maguire? sammy sosa?

So basically, if someone slid a bag of pot into your car, you got pulled over, and the cop searched your car and found it. you claim its not yours, but you still get into trouble. no matter what. so i think no matter what Bonds should be penalized from his record/hall of fame induction that everyone says he should get. if pete rose had issues w/ cheating or shaving points, and he is still gettin shit for it, bonds should be in the same place.

He's a total prick from what other team mates claim, he has his own room in the locker room, he's just a cocky steriod using baseball player. He used to be good way back in the day.

So all in all my opinion is no, he should not get full credit for the homeruns. i can keep going on but ill let others speak their opinions..

Anakonda69
08-08-2007, 05:52 PM
he should be in first ballot hands down. 7 mvp's, 8 gold gloves, 14 all star appearances. countless records. whether he took steroids or not streoids doesn't help u hit the ball. hit it farther yes but not hit the ball. the funny part is he's been made out to be a prick, guess what he's human. if thats what he is thats what he is. nowhere does it say in the major leagues pricks aren't allowed. if he took steroids so what, this isn't the era of baseball hank aaron played in. babe ruth was drunk most of his career so should he get double points cuz he made it harder on himself to hit home runs? first ballot hall of famer no doubt. #$%^ the critics!

Russ Jerome
08-08-2007, 05:55 PM
High school looser jock gets pushed thru college, hits ball with stick and
makes a bajillion dollars.....who cares there all spoiled little brats who
couldnt hold a real job if there life depended on it....rant off.

Those old dudes who set those records actual got up and went to
play like it was a job, no drugs just hookers and booze with little
money, just a love of there game :)

Brian98GTP
08-08-2007, 06:07 PM
he should be in first ballot hands down. 7 mvp's, 8 gold gloves, 14 all star appearances. countless records. whether he took steroids or not streoids doesn't help u hit the ball. hit it farther yes but not hit the ball. the funny part is he's been made out to be a prick, guess what he's human. if thats what he is thats what he is. nowhere does it say in the major leagues pricks aren't allowed. if he took steroids so what, this isn't the era of baseball hank aaron played in. babe ruth was drunk most of his career so should he get double points cuz he made it harder on himself to hit home runs? first ballot hall of famer no doubt. #$%^ the critics!

I agree. The homerun record alone should get him in the HOF. Bonds, along with Sosa and McGuire, helped bring baseball back from the slump they were in, in the mid/late 90's. You could go to any ballpark and get tickets for any game, any time. Its a totally different story now, and it all began with the homerun records (single season/career).
If Bonds doesnt make it into the baseball HOF, then OJ Simpson should get his a$$ yanked out of the Football HOF. Prick or not, Bonds deserves it.

:)

STANMAN
08-08-2007, 06:12 PM
If it can be proven he took steriods, no. If not, yes. Like someone else stated here, it's not "the nice guy" HOF, it's the baseball HOF, and LOTS of pricks are already in it!!!

Karps TA
08-08-2007, 06:13 PM
I think they should allow steroids in all sports. If meatheads want to end their lives early in order to entertain me better, I'm all for it.

As for Bonds he's such an arrogant dickhead that I wish nothing but the worst for him. It would be one thing if he cheated and wasn't an ass, like McGuire or Sosa. But he's just such an ass. Must of learned his people skills from his old man.

forcefedss
08-08-2007, 06:42 PM
yea good points. but i just was sick of hearing all the shit on the radio. oh well. but yea, he was one helluva player before all this.

but the old timers played baseball on shit pay during the season, and then went to work over the winter and busted their balls.

a guy said at my work that they should re write the record books w/ the new age players who use a drug and thats all they care about. is who they make themselves out to be.

Feature Pony
08-08-2007, 06:44 PM
I say no, yes he was a great player but I lost respect for him through out the years. Yes he will beat Arrons home run record but if you look at it now its easier. Teams now days play almost twice as many games in a year, so if you were to sit down and figure it he wouldn't even be close if you cut out 1/3 of his games. Also to he will get his just desert when he dies of a heart attack from taking the roids at a early age, he can barley run the bases now, heck he could hit a bouncer in left and pretty much get thrown out at 1st thats how slow he is.

Before and after pic http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/7101/bondsur8.jpg

Feature Pony
08-08-2007, 06:45 PM
yea good points. but i just was sick of hearing all the shit on the radio. oh well. but yea, he was one helluva player before all this.

but the old timers played baseball on shit pay during the season, and then went to work over the winter and busted their balls.

a guy said at my work that they should re write the record books w/ the new age players who use a drug and thats all they care about. is who they make themselves out to be.

They also should rewrite the records to how many games they played not seasons.

Russ Jerome
08-08-2007, 07:36 PM
I think they should allow steroids in all sports. If meatheads want to end their lives early in order to entertain me better, I'm all for it.

That is a great point! Guys like Michael Vic wont serve any real
purpose in our town, let them play till they puke. I just dont see
OJ out there doing something to better my kids life or others.

hrsp
08-08-2007, 07:40 PM
THIS SHOULDNT EVEN BE DISCUSSED..

FIRST BALLOT HANDS DOWN..PERIOD.....

IF HE WAS A KISS ASS HE"D BE CROWNED AS GOD OF BASEBALL...but cause hes a prick theres a "debate" about his hof status...

Lash
08-08-2007, 07:56 PM
I can't stand the effing guy....but he should probably go in.

Junky Giorgio
08-08-2007, 07:57 PM
steroids or not, he should make the Hall Of Fame with his record book

moels
08-08-2007, 08:19 PM
I may be mistaken, but I don't believe he ever tested positive for steroids. And now with all the hubbub about it, he never will. He may be a prick, and everyone can speculate about the steroids, but until the positive tests show up, I say put him in first ballot.

Karps TA
08-08-2007, 08:48 PM
yeah I'm sure he just took alot of vitamins. Lots of guys look like this in their mid to late 30's

http://media.npr.org/news/specials/barrybonds/images/before_after_540.jpg

He never tested positive because MLB didn't test for it until 2 years ago.

wikked
08-08-2007, 08:54 PM
He was already HOF material before he ever took any steroids.
</thread>

lawl @ that pic comparison though.
His head is even BIGGER now!
(mentally and physically)

moels
08-08-2007, 08:54 PM
I was merely stating that he never technically tested +. I didn't say I didn't think he took them.

Karps TA
08-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Well the glove didn't technically fit OJ and everybody knows he killed his wife and Ron Goldman. Nobody technically know that Michael Jackson has been screwing kids, but I bet noone on this board would leave their kid alone with him for a weekend.

Sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade.

moels
08-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Well the glove didn't technically fit OJ and everybody knows he killed his wife and Ron Goldman. Nobody technically know that Michael Jackson has been screwing kids, but I bet noone on this board would leave their kid alone with him for a weekend.

Sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade.

Well, OJ is still free to golf and Micheal is free to do what ever that white man does. I don't agree with that either, but it is what it is.

Karps TA
08-08-2007, 09:06 PM
See but that's what's wrong with the country. We say oh well and let's just reward these people anyways. Despite MLB not testing for roids, they are ILLEGAL by federal law. Which is why the supplier of the drugs is sitting in jail.

For once I want to see some of these jackasses punished. And he will, cause sportswriters are the ones who vote on it, and he's been such a **** to them over the years they'll keep him out atleast for a while.

Reverend Cooper
08-08-2007, 09:09 PM
as long as my baseball stuff of his is worth a shit load of cash i really dont care what they do with roid boy

nismodave
08-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Im so tired of people here bagging on Bonds.

If he played for the Brewers, you people would be his biggest supporters.

07ROUSHSTG3
08-08-2007, 09:14 PM
i say let him in, the pitchers are on steroids too so it all evens out!

moels
08-08-2007, 09:14 PM
See but that's what's wrong with the country. We say oh well and let's just reward these people anyways. Despite MLB not testing for roids, they are ILLEGAL by federal law. Which is why the supplier of the drugs is sitting in jail.

For once I want to see some of these jackasses punished. And he will, cause sportswriters are the ones who vote on it, and he's been such a **** to them over the years they'll keep him out atleast for a while.

Ok, to sum it up - Do I think he did roids? Yes. Do I think he should be in the HOF? No. But the point I was trying to make is, if he never tested positive it will be hard to hold him out. They can bypass him for a few years maybe, but he will get in at some point. OJ is still in Canton........

moels
08-08-2007, 09:15 PM
i say let him in, the pitchers are on steroids too so it all evens out!

Very true! Good post.

Reverend Cooper
08-08-2007, 09:17 PM
Im so tired of people here bagging on Bonds.

If he played for the Brewers, you people would be his biggest supporters.

not to me cuz i dont really care either way,like i said as long as my mcguire,bonds greiffey stuf is worth money i dont care

flyin_blue_egg
08-08-2007, 10:23 PM
like a lot of people said....all roids do is make you stronger, you still actually have to be able to hit the maddux changeup on the outside black etc. plus some of his other achievments would get him in also, such as the gold gloves,MVP's and all-star games, not to mention the fact that if he plays for one more year he'll get 3000 hits....look at craig biggio, all he's really done in his carear is get 3000 hits and i bet he gets in on his 1st or 2nd ballot

Cryptic
08-08-2007, 10:45 PM
when I was in the Navy, there was a drug test conducted once every quarter. They picked 2 random #'s 1 through 10. If that # was the last digit of your social , you were the lucky winner of the whiz quiz.

I blame the league for not regulating their players. It's bullshit. It's illegal and they should be responsible for the abuse of substances. They have more than enough money to conduct regular testing. There's a reason why its a professional sport.

Silver03SRT
08-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Yes he should be in. I hear he is actually a nice guy outside of baseball. You would get pissed too if people keep nagging you and nagging you about stuff. Yea I bet he did steriods but you still have to be able to hit the 90 mph balls thrown to you. Even if you take away his record for home runs he should still be in.

Beagle
08-09-2007, 12:08 AM
im not sticking up for him but im pretty sure he never tested positive for any steroids. plus steriods can also be used to heal an injury. so just cause the guys big compared to back in the day he has to be on steroids. how do we know that the old school players werent juiced up? until his proven guilt he will be in the hall of fame.....

Heat Seeker WS6
08-09-2007, 12:54 AM
I visited Cooperstown when I was in High School and I was awestruck by everything & everyone in there and personally I see the HOF as an American shrine. I dont see Bonds worthy of being in there, if they do then they may as well un-ban Pete Rose.

theavenger333
08-09-2007, 12:55 AM
whether or not he is or was on steroids, the guy still stole a ton of bases, won gold gloves, and hit a ton. just because you may be more muscular, doesn't mean you drop bombs. Barry Bonds still had to have a good eye, good timing, quick hands, and the ability to put the barrel of the bat on the ball. want proof? JJ Hardy. he's not very big but he's hit plenty of home runs this year. double proof? Alfonso Soriano. he is 6 foot, about 190 lbs. he hits tons of home runs. yes, Barry Bonds should be, and will be, a hall of famer.

Heat Seeker WS6
08-09-2007, 12:59 AM
whether or not he is or was on steroids, the guy still stole a ton of bases, won gold gloves, and hit a ton. just because you may be more muscular, doesn't mean you drop bombs. Barry Bonds still had to have a good eye, good timing, quick hands, and the ability to put the barrel of the bat on the ball. want proof? JJ Hardy. he's not very big but he's hit plenty of home runs this year. double proof? Alfonso Soriano. he is 6 foot, about 190 lbs. he hits tons of home runs. yes, Barry Bonds should be, and will be, a hall of famer.

He definately has the natural ability to play pro ball and has accomplished alot without doubt, but how much of it on the HOF level could he have accomplished staying clean though?

HITMAN
08-09-2007, 01:27 AM
who thinks barry bonds should be in the hall of fame?

Cheater's hall of fame?
Steroid abuser's hall of fame?

If the answer to either one of those questions is yes, then of course he should be in them. :thumbsup

Breecher_7
08-09-2007, 06:37 AM
when I was in the Navy, there was a drug test conducted once every quarter. They picked 2 random #'s 1 through 10. If that # was the last digit of your social , you were the lucky winner of the whiz quiz.

I blame the league for not regulating their players. It's bullshit. It's illegal and they should be responsible for the abuse of substances. They have more than enough money to conduct regular testing. There's a reason why its a professional sport.

Gotta love those ENTIRE command piss tests that are completely unorganized and you wait in line for 10 hours to piss in a cup... Ah yeah, them were the days......

Oh and as far as Bonds is concerned. Yeah, he is a ****, who cares! That doesnt mean he shouldnt be in the HOF. BUT......if they can PROVE he was on roids, I do not think he should go into the HOF. The use of steriods is not allowed, just like in the Olympics, people have been stripped of there medals. This is no different, if they can prove it, no HOF for Bonds and his HR record should not by recorded into the books leaving Hammerin Hank the true recordholder. In all fairness to the sport, this is how it should but probably will not go down.

Karps TA
08-09-2007, 06:48 AM
If Pete Rose who never did anything on the field to embarass the sport isn't allowed in then Bonds who has cheated the sport should not be in. No roids don't give you the ability to hit the ball. But it does turn doubles into home runs. And that is the whole point of this thread. He's the home run leader because of roids. Look at his numbers compared to A-rod. A-rod has 180 more home runs at the same age as Bonds. Bonds roided up and then went crazy with home runs. The guy would have been a first ballet HOF'er and one of the greatest players ever without the juice. All he did was turn himself into a circus freak.

Feature Pony
08-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Don't forget his elbow brace that "locks" his arm in for increased performance. They were talking about it on Bob and Brian with Zabe, and it brought up a good point, why doesn't he win home run derbies? Cause he has no need to wear the brace and when he doesn't wear it all he hits is short flys no homers, but when he is wearing this brace he is the power slugger of MLB??

Anakonda69
08-09-2007, 09:42 AM
i feel pete rose should be in as well. mcgwire and sosa should be in too. however sosa is still playing. least he was earlier this year. i agree if they wanna use steroids let'em. it's their life and they are there to entertain us. steroids do not increase skill or natural talent. he is good at what he does put him in. no doubt.

wikked
08-09-2007, 09:58 AM
There are too many "late age" stats that are too good to be true.
These are the top 10 best seasons of all time. (using Bill James formula for total batting production)

The fact that Bonds had better seasons at 36, 37, & 39, than Rogers Hornsby did at 26, is a goddamn shame.
Hornsby IMO is one of the best players, if not thee best to ever play the game, having won the triple crown 10 years in a row.
That is a record I can guarantee you will NEVER be broken.

# Name Year Age Tm BA HR RBI RC
1 RUTH 1921 26 NYY .378 59 171 243
2 BONDS 2001 36 SFG .328 73 137 228
3 RUTH 1923 28 NYY .393 41 131 227
4 RUTH 1920 25 NYY .376 54 137 216
5 GEHRIG 1927 24 NYY .373 47 175 215
6 RUTH 1927 32 NYY .356 60 164 211
6 FOXX 1932 24 PHA .364 58 169 211
8 RUTH 1924 29 NYY .378 46 121 209
9 BONDS 2002 37 SFG .370 46 110 206
10 BONDS 2004 39 SFG .362 45 101 204
10 GEHRIG 1936 33 NYY .354 49 152 204
10 HORNSBY 1922 26 STL .401 42 152 204

Silver350
08-09-2007, 10:20 AM
I honestly dont like the guy but each day I hear of Bonds I am getting to the point of who cares about the record. Records are ment to be broken and Bonds doesnt have much time left in his career. Then you have a guy like Alex Rodrez (SP?)(A-Rod) who is only thirty and has what 500 some home runs. A-Rod is still young an has been faily health and if he can stay that way he will beat Bonds record.

As far as the picture of Bonds yeah I have to say that is one hell of a difference but you can get that big with the proper diet and exercise. I belive for a skinny guy like that they have to up there calorie intake from say 2100 calories to 4200, and also get on a diet and exercise program that helps build muscle mass.

Also when it comes to swinging a bat I have seen some big guys that cannot hit a ball out of the park. I have also seen guys that are twigs be able to launch a ball out of the park. Take in example Prince fielder vs Ryan Braun. Braun is a skinny guy compared to Prince and he is hitting the ball well. I dont know if you guys saw the side by side comparison of their swing but Prince and Ryan, swing is almost identical. Power isn't everything when it comes to hitting. There are many other factors to contribute like swing mechanics. Timing, Bat speed, swinging level and movement from you lower body and your hips.

Cleveland Dave
08-09-2007, 10:46 AM
http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a678/a678_bm.gif

STANMAN
08-09-2007, 11:03 AM
It's in Fielders genes it seems like. Every time I see him I think of his old man, who actually was my favorite player when he was at his best. Watching Cecil come to the plate was AWESOME!!! Prince has good wheels though, which is something that was missing from his old mans game,lol!!

flyin_blue_egg
08-09-2007, 11:40 AM
There are too many "late age" stats that are too good to be true.
These are the top 10 best seasons of all time. (using Bill James formula for total batting production)

The fact that Bonds had better seasons at 36, 37, & 39, than Rogers Hornsby did at 26, is a goddamn shame.
Hornsby IMO is one of the best players, if not thee best to ever play the game, having won the triple crown 10 years in a row.
That is a record I can guarantee you will NEVER be broken.

# Name Year Age Tm BA HR RBI RC
1 RUTH 1921 26 NYY .378 59 171 243
2 BONDS 2001 36 SFG .328 73 137 228
3 RUTH 1923 28 NYY .393 41 131 227
4 RUTH 1920 25 NYY .376 54 137 216
5 GEHRIG 1927 24 NYY .373 47 175 215
6 RUTH 1927 32 NYY .356 60 164 211
6 FOXX 1932 24 PHA .364 58 169 211
8 RUTH 1924 29 NYY .378 46 121 209
9 BONDS 2002 37 SFG .370 46 110 206
10 BONDS 2004 39 SFG .362 45 101 204
10 GEHRIG 1936 33 NYY .354 49 152 204
10 HORNSBY 1922 26 STL .401 42 152 204

you also have to realize that in baseball back then they didn't have the medical science that we have now nor did they have trainers with the knowledge that we have now. bc of that players are able to play at a much higher level for much longer then ever before