PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Ford Lightnings...

BoogieQ
08-23-2003, 09:14 PM
I have recently become real interested in Ford Lightnings... I want a comfy riding vehicle, with a V8, RWD and a blower.. this seems to fit right in and it's fairly rare.. only like 25,000 made so far..

So at any rate, have any of you encoutered them on the roads? Any run real well? Anyone *hehe animal* own one and have opinions?

Any quirks and issues you know of with them?

Last of all, do you respect them? :)

Anyways.. thanks for the thoughts!
Adam

Milw96Cobra
08-23-2003, 09:34 PM
If I were to own a truck,

it would be a Lightning

Knyghtmare
08-23-2003, 09:48 PM
If I were to own a truck

It would be a Z-71

SILVER02GTP
08-23-2003, 10:45 PM
just get one of these finally some competition for the lightnings. 13.4 @101 for 26k http://www.chapmansupertrucks.com/

Yooformula
08-23-2003, 11:16 PM
I am all for tuner trucks and all but for that money its just a damm silverado with a blower for $26k. It doesnt even have rims or suspension work?!?! I would buy the Lightning and get a handling truck with nice wheels, gobs of power and a warranty for EVERYTHING.:3gears:

Prince Valiant
08-24-2003, 12:38 AM
Lightnings are great trucks...but for the price I think I would lean for a cobra. Still fits all of your criteria.

OR buy my truck for alot less and stick a blower on it...:D

SILVER02GTP
08-24-2003, 12:57 AM
you get the full gm warranty on the truck 3y/36k then you add a nice set of aftermarket wheels and suspension and you would problay still come out cheaper than a lightning and be just as happy

animal
08-24-2003, 02:06 AM
Boogie,

I answered your email for ya. It was lengthy, but thorough.

I should add, if you'd like I can meet up with you sometime and give you a ride.

Rocket Power
08-24-2003, 12:00 PM
If I had Lightning money ,there would be one in my driveway:3gears: :banana

BLUTO
08-24-2003, 01:50 PM
Many have encountered mine on the roads,,,, doubt they want to admit the outcome:3gears: If you drive one, you will have to have one. I dont even like fords but I bought one. Besides, its not a ford, its an SVT-BIG DIFFERENCE! And that Eaton howl- you will know when a Lightning passes you, its quite loud.

SLOWC5
08-24-2003, 06:08 PM
Bluto wha does your L run?

JEFF

Stangman98
08-24-2003, 08:21 PM
I plan on picking up a Lightning in 2005 (used 2000) that my friends dad owns. I absolutly love them. Great trucks!

BLUTO
08-24-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by 2FSTGTP
Bluto wha does your L run?

JEFF

I have no clue what BLUTO runs, I didnt get to the Grove yet, but Im only 15min away:banana
These trucks suffer BIG TIME from heat, up to a full sec in 1/4mi. Also traction is a real problem for Lightnings-or any pickup.
Im waiting for a cool tuesday nite and then we'll see what big fat Bluto runs.

BoogieQ
08-24-2003, 08:36 PM
Why would they suffer from heat so much when they have a stock water to air intercooler?

Thanks everyone for the thoughts so far!! Much appreciated!

... And thanks to animal for the mad review!!!!

SLOWC5
08-24-2003, 09:50 PM
If you think your truck really suffers from heat..?? then go drive a GTP. A "L" comes with a Intercooler, Water-to-Air there should be no real problems with heat. Yes it is affected but not nearly as much as a GTP of other SCed cars without a IC. Now that I'm intercooled, heat plays no role in my performance...As you can see by my time, Along with that fact I'm FWD and your RWD, another reason traction should be little problem. Traction bars and DR's or slicks.

JEFF

Anakonda69
08-25-2003, 12:50 AM
u could buy a base model f-150 and make it into the same truck as a lightning for cheaper then paying for the "lightning"......then u also get cheaper insurance to due just owning a plain 2wd f-150 pickup...

BoogieQ
08-25-2003, 01:24 AM
and just how would you do that?

Plus it wouldnt look as nice and cool...

animal
08-25-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Anakonda69
u could buy a base model f-150 and make it into the same truck as a lightning for cheaper then paying for the "lightning"......then u also get cheaper insurance to due just owning a plain 2wd f-150 pickup...

No way. And especially not while still having a warranty, the suede leather wraparound seats and interior, the suspension and improved steering, the transmission and rearend that won't break when you give it 450 ft/lbs of torque (yes they are beefed up in the L), and all the other little things you just don't pay attention to when you generalize the f-150. It all adds up. Anyone can go spend 4k and drop a blower on there, but the rest of the stuff that makes it an svt just won't be there, let alone the reliability of the drivetrain for something not made for that purpose.

Plus, is $600/year really THAT much for insurance? I don't feel it is.

I honestly felt the same way as you, until I really looked into it alot and started adding up what it'd cost. The money you'd save would be completely offset by the headache of obtaining the forementioned areas, and tuning them to work together every day like they do on the L as it is from the showroom.

A full second from heat? Something that drastic might be possible if you race in 110 degrees in colorado, and then go to -500 ft with 40* air. Here's some real world numbers from my L....

96* 85% humidity = 14.09@97.9 2.000 60' ~29.0 barometer
40* <40% humidity = 13.33@102.8 1.969 60' ~31.0 barometer

Both of those runs were made with the truck identical. First one was august of last year, second was a tuesday night in Oct.

Even with a stock intercooler, the heat, humidity, and air pressure are all factors. Probably not quite as much as the non-intercooled engines, but it hurts nonetheless.

Alas alot CAN be done with chip tuning. Warm weather pcm programs can eliminate alot of the loss you see in the heat by bumping the timing a bit and changing a little fuel curve. The stock lightning program is pig rich from the factory, and it only gets worse in the heat. Alot of that is why they lose so much in the heat. Some guys have seen a/f ratios of 10.4 on a stock lightning. Another reason our tailpipes turn black in about 50 miles. My opinion is that the fuel/timing tune on the gm s/c cars is alot better from the factory, but that's why we have aftermarket parts :D I think alot of it is that they had to tune these to run in 120* death valley heat, and -30* canadian wintery air. So they went on the fat side in hopes they wouldn't see them all come back in the winter with detonation problems. (that's just what I think anyways)

BLUTO?!
What color is your L? Are you the white one I see rolling around? Have you checked out the wisvtoa site yet?

Syclone0044
08-25-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by 2FSTGTP
If you think your truck really suffers from heat..?? then go drive a GTP. A "L" comes with a Intercooler, Water-to-Air there should be no real problems with heat. Yes it is affected but not nearly as much as a GTP of other SCed cars without a IC. Now that I'm intercooled, heat plays no role in my performance...
I have 2 turbo cars, both intercooled. My truck has an air to water intercooler and my car has an air to air. Both are significantly affected by heat. I run my worst times in the heat and best times in the cool crisp spring/fall nights. I would almost think a hot air (non intercooled) forced induction motor would be less affected by heat because if you think about a really hot day with an air to water intercooler, its really not going to be doing a whole lot of intercooling if the water temps are high to begin with due to high ambient air temp. So the change to a cold day with a cold IC would be much larger. How much slower is your GTP (in the non intercooled days) on a hot day?

As you can see by my time, Along with that fact I'm FWD and your RWD, another reason traction should be little problem. Traction bars and DR's or slicks.
I know FWD sucks for drag racing but I don't think RWD is the traction miracle you think it is. I ran 2.15 60' on all season street tires in my forced induction FWD Grand Prix and I've seen RWD V8s that couldnt match those times with their street tires. The FWD has a lot more weight over the front. But once you start making more power the FWD shows its weakness. So in short, RWD is superior for drag racing but not by perhaps as large a margin as your post suggests. Ask the guy with RWD if he finds "traction to be little problem" with his RWD truck.

Josh

BoogieQ
08-25-2003, 04:29 PM
I wonder if a chevy SS would be a better choice?

....Although I'm still hung on the Lightning ;) :rockwoot:

animal
08-25-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by BoogieQ
I wonder if a chevy SS would be a better choice?

15sec 1/4's WITH awd? I dunno bout that. That's alot of power you'll need to add just to drop to low 13's, and you're spending 41k on the truck alone?

If you were doing it only for the extra room, then the harley trucks are supercabs running mid 14's on a lightning motor with only 6psi. And to boot it's built with forged low compression bottom end, and the beefed up lightning tranny so you're already set up for more boost and power. And besides, they aren't selling well and you can get them for 36k. As far as I've heard, dealers aren't dealing much on the SS's since they're relatively new and not too many of them per dealership.

Just a different perspective in a sea of GM guys.

animal
08-25-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Syclone0044
Ask the guy with RWD if he finds "traction to be little problem" with his RWD truck.

... and hence my drag radials have been ordered :D

RWD is generally not a miracle at all on the street, unless of course you like to drive around in wrinkle wall bias drag slicks all the time. :3gears:

BoogieQ
08-25-2003, 05:27 PM
Yeah that's what I was thinking.. too much work to get the SS to be faster.

I'll have to check on those harley editions.. 'cept I like the lightnings looks better...

Still searching :)

Syclone0044
08-25-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by animal
... and hence my drag radials have been ordered :D
Awesome!! Did you go Nitto or BFG? And are you getting new rims or swapping off your existing tires?

As for the Chevy Silverado SS, I'm a "GM guy" but I have to be honest, it's a total turd!! I hate it! Ford has the Lightning which has a really awesome powerplant and then Dodge comes out with the Viper truck (ok I probably wont even see 1 of them for every 100 Lightnings but at least its something) and then GM comes out with this big fat turd of a full size truck with a STOCK passenger/work truck powerplant... truly a weak effort. Gone are the days when GM would make custom high-po powerplants and custom appearance and custom seats/interior etc.

Anyways I agree if you like big trucks that go fast, the Harley truck is not a bad choice! There is a grey 4 door one I've seen at GLD 2 or 3 times that runs low 13s on 15" slicks, you should see how funny it is to watch a truck that gigantic move down the track in 13 seconds!! It's awesome.

Josh

animal
08-25-2003, 08:28 PM
The nitto 555R's. 305/45/18 :D :D :D

If you talk to Monte find out if he ordered them. He's a hard guy for me to get ahold of since I have to go through Jason.

Last I heard, the viper truck was shelved while they wait to see what ford does with the gen3 lightning. But that's just an internet rumor. I'm honestly not afraid one bit of that dodge, at least as the prototype sits.

I talked to that guy with that harley truck a few times. He's running 13.20's with 14psi, a chip, and some slicks. You can get those 3 parts for $700 guys ($1000 if you buy the chip/pulley new) :) For those that don't know, stock, the harley truck has the lightning motor -2 psi, and is a 4 door f-150 with stock 20" wheels and really nice leather interior.

I kinda got mad at a guy the other day, he said "Oh yeah, those Lightnings have the harley truck motor right?" Umm NO. :)

Brian98GTP
08-25-2003, 11:36 PM
Haha...

That would piss a LOT of guys off...

Hows the Syclone Running Josh??

I havent seen you in awhile!!

Brian

Anakonda69
08-26-2003, 12:26 AM
i guess i am just not a fan of the lightning.......i mean it's cool but i'm not as into has alot of people are......

Syclone0044
08-26-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Brian98GTP
Haha...

That would piss a LOT of guys off...

Hows the Syclone Running Josh??

I havent seen you in awhile!!
It was running really good!!! I ran 12.3 @ 108 on pump gas with the alcohol injection trying to set a record for stock turbo, then about 2 weeks ago I thought I blew a head gasket but now I think it's going to be OK but the truck is still acting like the little ***** that it is.. I'm chasing my tail trying to find the source of a massive knock retard problem, 4* at 0 PSI ! :confused :stare So it's been down/parked since then. At the beginning of the month I drove it to the Syclone/Typhoon Nationals in Kansas City and back by myself on a 25 hour solo drive from Hell!! Alternator blew up twice and left me on the side of the highway in Iowa in 95* heat for 7 hours while I hitchhiked rides into town to get a new alternator (twice, first time was the wrong one). And to add insult to injury when it exploded it blasted shrapnel into my hood and misc areas of the engine bay so I had to replace a few parts and get the hood repainted, then part of my tonneau cover broke, but it's all headed back in the right direction now, so that answers your question!! Probably a little more than you asked for ;) How's yours been?

Josh

Brian98GTP
08-26-2003, 09:07 PM
Holy Crap Josh!!

All I expected was a little, " ...Well, its fine... ran a 12.3 a month ago, nothing much other than that...." ... But damn !! That had to seem like a never ending streak of bad luck ! My car is running OK... Im planning on purchasing the Auto Tap For Palm Pilot, so I can actually tune it Accurately...Not just by what I hear/smell/feel...LOL
Im sure Tom B is sick of me calling him to have him scan my car too..haha....I DONT want him to think thats the ONLY reason I call him either...

**Sorry to steal the thread Boogie, so here's my thoughts on the Lightning...**

BUY ONE!! You wont regret it.... Theyre really nice... PRICEY,.. But nothing you'd regret buying... Its far from other Ford vehicles as far as quality and performance obviously....So.. It will be a satisfying purchase... I considered one, but couldnt get financed for one since I lived at home at the time, and just graduated...LOL
But I got to test drive it with some Hott Chick (sales-woman)... :thumbsup

animal
08-26-2003, 10:24 PM
Ooh, tires arrived today :banana :banana :banana :banana

Hopefully they'll be on on thursday before I leave for the packer game.

BLUTO
08-26-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by animal
Ooh, tires arrived today :banana :banana :banana :banana

Hopefully they'll be on on thursday before I leave for the packer game.

D, What were your 60ft times on stock f1's,,,were you having traction probs at the track last mo? 60fts?
I havnt been to GLD since they resurfaced last yr, so hows the traction now?

animal
08-26-2003, 11:11 PM
Bluto first you gotta answer my questions about you :)

Do I know you? What color is your L?

On these slippery Nitto 555 Extreme (295/45/18) I went 2.03 60' times at the beginning of this month. Mainly because I just wasn't making the power to be faster.