PDA

View Full Version : heads cam setup on a 5.0l???

sloLs1
08-06-2007, 07:51 PM
any recommendations??? my buddy has a '94 gt 5speed with a decent amount of bolt ons but no engine work once so ever... hes looking to keep it a street car so nothing toooooo radical....

thanks

Waver
08-06-2007, 08:06 PM
go with trick flow's combo package that comes with heads and cam.....probably the best bang for the buck

Poncho
08-06-2007, 08:21 PM
ls1 swap?

Want_Notch
08-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Hellion Power Systems....................nuff said

Waver
08-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Hellion Power Systems....................nuff said

well I agree on that one, considering it can take a stock auto 5.0 that is putting out 180 hp and bring it up to 425 hp...

dan stfu

nismodave
08-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Throw some Ds on that b1tch!!!!

Poncho
08-06-2007, 08:30 PM
2jz-gte?

Waver
08-06-2007, 09:05 PM
once again, shut up dan, you dont need to be in this thread.....you know nothing of the car

Poncho
08-07-2007, 12:31 AM
well since I know nothing, I hear a known good option is working over the stock E7 heads if you are on a real tight budget, get some good ol iron GT40 (Cobra) heads, thought the gains aren't that much unless you work them over too, but they are cheap, downside is that they are still iron and heavy

Aluminum GT40's if you can get a deal are pretty good, but the "new" price makes it a tad overpriced comepared to the rest with what you got flow-wise.
AFR 175s/185s are popular and the aluminum is nice, If you really need some flow and got the skrilla, TFS has put some damn impressive flow numbers down in their Twisted wedge line.

Comp Cams would be my preference for aftermarket bump sticks, besides they can custom build you exactly what you want for a fair price, and they have tons of different kinds of lobes..

but hey I don't know shit, and know nothing of the car. Can't count out Edelbrock, their best part is that they can handle alot more lift than the others.

Kind of a bastard era for tuning too, alot of serious guys convert back to the older EEC4

FourEyedFord
08-07-2007, 01:11 AM
AFR 175s/185s are popular and the aluminum is nice,

If he is going to keep the stock shortblock, then AFR 165s would be the head he could go with because AFR does not even make a 175cc head for a SBF. Also the AFR 185s use a 2.02 intake valve, which with an aftermarket cam will not clear a stock 5.0L piston without being flycut. The Twisted wedge head is the only head with a 2.02 valve that will work on a stock shortblock due to its altered valve angle, hence "Twisted" Wedge. :thumbsup

Boss Lx and HRSEPLA will probably chime in on here to give their opinions on the matter also.

HRSEPLA
08-07-2007, 07:51 AM
well since I know nothing, I hear a known good option is working over the stock E7 heads if you are on a real tight budget, get some good ol iron GT40 (Cobra) heads, thought the gains aren't that much unless you work them over too, but they are cheap, downside is that they are still iron and heavy

Aluminum GT40's if you can get a deal are pretty good, but the "new" price makes it a tad overpriced comepared to the rest with what you got flow-wise.
AFR 175s/185s are popular and the aluminum is nice, If you really need some flow and got the skrilla, TFS has put some damn impressive flow numbers down in their Twisted wedge line.

Comp Cams would be my preference for aftermarket bump sticks, besides they can custom build you exactly what you want for a fair price, and they have tons of different kinds of lobes..

but hey I don't know shit, and know nothing of the car. Can't count out Edelbrock, their best part is that they can handle alot more lift than the others.

Kind of a bastard era for tuning too, alot of serious guys convert back to the older EEC4

Nice try... lol
Sounded like a 'Summit Tech' reading out of a book.:)
I like the Trick flow heads, cam, and intake combos
All that little E7 / gt40p head stuff is not worth doing, save up and buy the good parts-If you wanna play, you gotsta pay!
AFR's are really nice too, but as Bobby said, keep mindful of piston to valve clearance.
Your friend should go on the Corral.net and just look up starter combos, etc. Its all been mapped out a million times, and he can just pick his price and power range.

sloLs1
08-07-2007, 08:01 AM
thanks for the input... we'll start looking at some prices and such....

Prince Valiant
08-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Out of curiousity, what do you think the biggest cam someone could get away with using 2.02 valves with the stock pistons?

Poncho
08-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Nice try... lol
I like the Trick flow heads, cam, and intake combos
All that little E7 / gt40p head stuff is not worth doing, save up and buy the good parts-If you wanna play, you gotsta pay!
AFR's are really nice too, but as Bobby said, keep mindful of piston to valve clearance.
Your friend should go on the Corral.net and just look up starter combos, etc. Its all been mapped out a million times, and he can just pick his price and power range.

Sweet, I sound like a tech, sorry for the typo on the 175 being a 165. My old man has a good friend thats a Mustang nut, and my neighbor was a Fox Body nut, and my pa-in-law is a Mustang nut, and whenever i'm over there, i'm reading his Mustang mags.

Slow Joe
08-07-2007, 05:45 PM
Dan FTL! :rolf Especially on his engine swap ideas...

Waver
08-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Nice try... lol

that is what I was thinking....and when i said the trickflow kit, it includes everything that you need for a reasonable price...

the gt40s arnt bad nor are the gt40p bad and with the right set of springs porting and polishing and rockers ect, can show a decent amount of gains, however I dont believe that the extra cost (plus having to get different headers for the p series heads) is worth the gains when compaired to the trick flow setup

however anything is better than the e7's....

Poncho
08-08-2007, 01:23 AM
i still don't get the summit thing. You'd think people would realize I drive a Mustang on the weekends, and i'm on a bunch of mustang forums.

Waver
08-08-2007, 01:27 AM
i still don't get the summit thing. You'd think people would realize I drive a Mustang on the weekends, and i'm on a bunch of mustang forums.
Ummmmmm no offence to joe, but I hardly consider a stock or almost stock v6 stang anything more than a taurus in a mustang shell

Poncho
08-08-2007, 01:39 AM
And get it runs in the 1/4 mile basically what these SN95 cars did with the 302 and early 4.6

I guess you'd consider them a Taurus with a 302 then, eh? SO basically because our Mustang has everything the GT has except a few cubes it's not a Mustang?

Good thing to know the "taurus" as you call them can hang with and with light mods out run the ALSO low 15 second running v8 GTs of the past.

Waver
08-08-2007, 01:44 AM
no, I just dont feel that the mustang came with anything other than a v8, it is like a v6 camaro is not a "real" camaro

Poncho
08-08-2007, 01:57 AM
yea... Seriously get real nutwaver.

the only reason the mustang is still around is because of the v6.

the only reason any mainstream non-niche mass produced car for the real world lasts is because of the bulk sales of the v6

I really need to get going on our "taurus" edition Mustang so it's faster than your GT.

Waver
08-08-2007, 02:00 AM
yea... Seriously get real nutwaver.

the only reason the mustang is still around is because of the v6.

the only reason any mainstream non-niche mass produced car for the real world lasts is because of the bulk sales of the v6

I really need to get going on our "taurus" edition Mustang so it's faster than your GT.

that wont ever happen....it is just my opinion, you asked me for it, so I gave it

Irish
02-19-2008, 08:48 PM
The new mustang v6's make as much if not a little more horse than the 93 5.0 Cobra.

slickwilly
02-19-2008, 10:44 PM
The new mustang v6's make as much if not a little more horse than the 93 5.0 Cobra.
That may be the case, but they're still slow as fukkin' balls.

However, I must say that I saw some impressive 05+ V6 Mustangs at the strip one day.

MurphysLaw88GT
02-19-2008, 10:50 PM
holy back from the dead posting batman....

badass88gt
02-20-2008, 01:26 AM

AFR are more expensive than non-CNC'd Trick Flows. AFR also kill the non-CNC'd Trick Flows. Flow numbers dont mean much. They can be very easily manipluated to say whatever the bench operator wants them to say.

badass88gt
02-20-2008, 01:27 AM
holy back from the dead posting batman....

Woops. I missed that too.

doe302
02-20-2008, 02:03 PM
if your not trying to spend alot of money id go with some early modle 351 heads from like 69-73 or get some gt40p heads. im gonna try to get some old 351 heads for my 302. with a carb setup an f-303 and d0oe heads this guy made 306 to the wheels. and then i read of a guy that used AFR heads and some cam and olny made like 280 or so to the wheels....... but thats just what i read.