PDA

View Full Version : poncho Dan?

70challenger
08-05-2007, 01:27 AM
im pretty sure i saw dan today at the track today tryin to get a helmet for the summit super series race i was in the mopar firesuit behind u in line at the food stand).

Poncho
08-05-2007, 05:03 AM
yup... had a interesting day.

street tires are a waste and I potentially have an 11 second car
i just need to get the traction there. ran twice said f-it i need slicks and left. Especially when the rain delays started.

1st run was HOT right off the freeway.car was losing a ton of timing IATs had to be in the 130* range where I'm losing alot of timing, since the MAF was hot enough you couldn't even hold on to it, and the IAT is integrated into the MAF.

Lights dropped quicker than I expected, launched off idle, and car did one of those things where it nearly stalls but lurches twice then picks itself up. Turned the damn Traction Control off, then car came alive.
spun really really hard on 1-2 and spun hard enough on the 2-3 that my abs light came on
so i lost a ton of time in the middle, and lifted alot on the 3-4, since the track seemed slicker than a slip & slide, and ran 13.19@112.1 on a 2.39 60'

Watched all the bad ass cars for a few hours, then got to make my 2nd pass.

2nd run I cooled it down and the car had all the timing I wanted up top. but I spun the launch so hard it wheel hopped thru 1st and banged off the rev limiter twice
shifted to 2nd got a loud bang, because the suspension bottomed out and it kept hopping a little completely, trying to limit it to 6500, I missed the 2-3 shift, badly, lost alot of time there.
then said **** it and got back in it. i bet i lost a good half second if not more of acceleration. Said well maybe I can still beat this car next to me.
finally hit the 2-3 and 3-4 to beat the car next to me
ran a 13.39@109, on a 2.28 60' but my 1/8th mile speed was 82mph. 1/4 mile speed was 109
gained a shit ton on the top end from the 8th mile speed you can see i butchered that run.

that run was nuts, mustang killed me on the launch (1.9 60' he had)
then i totally reeled him in and was passing him then missed the 2-3
and he gained a ton on me then i reeled him back in again and flew by him hard @ the finish

Comparatively STOCK it went 13.03@108 on a 2.0 60' and the 1/8th mile traps were around 87mph I believe. so the gains are apparent, but traction is getting much much worse. On the big end stock it gained 21-22mph, yesterday was 26mph and 27mph. By now I should be seeing @ least 90mph by the 1/8th mile.

If I get real tires on it, I may be able to slice an entire second of the ETs. Wish I would have had time for another run, just to get a clean run, even if it spins a ton, just to see where my traps really would be. Both runs weren't indicators, since on both I got out of it for one reason or another.

Not going back till I get slicks, but still yesterdays runs were great learning information to compare to my stock runs and my runs with JUST headers (best on headers was 13.2@111 on a 2.3 60' on the same street tires)

Poncho
08-05-2007, 05:06 AM
BTW Challenger it was awesome getting to see the REAL fast cars like yours run. It was the first time I've seen those in person. That alone made my day worth it.

Reverend Cooper
08-05-2007, 08:25 AM
whoa thats along ways from the elevens yet dan but there is still some time to be made up in that 60ft it might get close to the low twelves slap some slicks on that beyatch and lets see the 11 sec time slip. i wonder if my et streets will fit on your car you could use them.

Waver
08-05-2007, 09:04 AM
not so easy is it dan? With a little practice those times should drop, and with better tires the times will drop as well....but dont expect it tp be instant because you will still spin themif you dont launch it right

Poncho
08-05-2007, 01:27 PM
W/out any suspension mods I usually see fellow owners cutting 1.8 60' times, adding drag bags, and other stuff then it's 1.6-1.7. I have a long ways to go and now I perfectly understand why SO MANY are running drag radials out back all the time. I know the power is there, I like many others, want to get a slip that says so. I'm afraid to see what I'll break if I fix this fusable link called traction. I also really suck @ slipping the clutch, obviously w/ this car a clutch dump isn't going to work anymore with the way the IRS squats, the shock breaks traction too much. No wonder so many racers are A4 owners, they can load the rear end down on launch, you'll actually see then rear squat when they load it up to the stall.

Bobby72GTO
08-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Looks like Dan is getting ready to put the hurt on some people.

Slow Joe
08-05-2007, 01:47 PM
No way in hell that's on the same tires, aren't you on your 4th set of rear tires?? :rolf :rolf

Maybe same brand though!

I need to get better at driving my car too Dan, dont feel bad... You'll get there...

Poncho
08-05-2007, 01:52 PM
stock Comp KDWS lasted from sept 05-jan 06. 2nd set was also the "stock" Comp KDWS used, lasted jan 06 - april 06, put on some 275s out back in an attempt to get more traction in April of '06. They aren't BFGs, and are lasting alot better. Fronts are the stock KDWS and have only been on the front rotated side to side, and are totally shot @ only 26k.

70challenger
08-05-2007, 05:56 PM
BTW Challenger it was awesome getting to see the REAL fast cars like yours run. It was the first time I've seen those in person. That alone made my day worth it.

glad u got to see some cars u liked. the car count has been really low lately and usually there are some faster ones there.

nismodave
08-05-2007, 06:46 PM
I thought your car ran 13.0 already???:confused

Want_Notch
08-05-2007, 06:55 PM
I think that was a "corrected" time Dave.

Poncho
08-05-2007, 07:09 PM
I thought your car ran 13.0 already???:confused

Wow you are stupider than you look, thats like extra stupid.

I thought your car was supposed to run this year?

nismodave
08-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Wow you are stupider than you look, thats like extra stupid.

I thought your car was supposed to run this year?

I just thought your car went 13.0, according to your old sig.

Talk about defensive.:rolf

Get a life, loser.:punch:

Poncho
08-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Defensive yourself, Beavis? ;)

nismodave
08-05-2007, 07:18 PM
You are going to have to come up with something else to try to upset me, other than giving me crap about my car being down for a year........Not working. LOL

Its as old as talking about you not checking your oil.

Poncho
08-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Why would I want to upset you? You are my favorite-ist person in the world. I love getting bitched at every time I see you, if it's too loud, get earplugs.

nismodave
08-05-2007, 07:21 PM
A car that slow should not be that loud.

Heat Seeker WS6
not so easy is it dan? With a little practice those times should drop, and with better tires the times will drop as well....but dont expect it tp be instant because you will still spin themif you dont launch it right

Holy smokes, Captain "Brakes while Shifting" is advising Danno-Roo how to drive stick! :durr :banana

You 2 need Autos then you could be in the 10's or sumthin!!

GTSLOW
:rolf :rolf

Poncho
08-05-2007, 07:25 PM
A car that slow should not be that loud.

You do realize the exhaust was changed over two months ago to something drastically different sounding and quieter right?

If it's so slow ------- nevermind I won't get into it.

I know it has the potential to run what I want it to run, that is all.

Heat Seeker WS6
08-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Now its dave & dan??
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UpHUFzV0exk

Berettaspeed
08-05-2007, 07:31 PM
hah your numbers look like mine... just 1 sec faster 1/4

i got 82 and 83mph 1/8 and 109s mph 1/4 LOL

but i see your 112 is nice. im sure you will pull more MPH with traction.

nismodave
08-05-2007, 07:33 PM
I was just wondering why you had in your old sig, that your car ran 13.0.

Now after your car did an EXXON VALDIEZ, and you modded it over stock, it goes slower????

My car ran solidly in the 12s. It did break, and Im taking my time putting it together, to make sure it doesent have the same problems it did before.......So yup, I do have a pile of parts.

But when those parts were together, they ran faster than your car did, for 3 years.

You will get your chance to run me. Dont be in such a hurry to get beat. Go race Beagle a few more times to make yourself feel better.

Reverend Cooper
08-05-2007, 07:34 PM
a worse 60 ft just means tire spin and a higher mph. with grip you 60 will come down as will your mph. it not going 11.s with out spray

Poncho
08-05-2007, 07:40 PM
I wish I would have gotten a full clean run to see what it is trapping properly. No way I gained 1mph with intake, cam, shifter, no cats, exhaust, tune & wider tires. :(

Too bad it was such a busy day, maybe I'll go again in a few weeks on a dead day to try to get a full clean run off.

Reverend Cooper
08-05-2007, 08:05 PM
i think what dave is saying is put up or shut up. get the car to pull the times youve been bragging about or dont make excuses is all. jmo i dont want to speak for dave. no doubt you have time to make up with traction,but without major car weight loss and major suspension no way that car is a 11 sec car 12.4-12.8 poss. we will see. alot of it seems to be driver error unless i am reading that wrong?

Poncho
08-05-2007, 08:47 PM
alot of driver error. suspension is stock, and squats a ton on launch drag bags and fix that alot. missed third gear, and I've never been good & feathering/slipping the clutch while trying to launch hard. Runs into wheel hop easily too. I never started anything, I assumed Dave was giving me shit, we already talked on yahoo about it.

He also got me depressed. haha, dave FTW.

With Nittos, and maybe a hobbit behind the wheel, or a 4ft tall chinese woman maybe i can get a real time outta this manatee-goat-kangaroo car.

70challenger
08-05-2007, 10:31 PM
alot of driver error. suspension is stock, and squats a ton on launch drag bags and fix that alot. missed third gear, and I've never been good & feathering/slipping the clutch while trying to launch hard. Runs into wheel hop easily too. I never started anything, I assumed Dave was giving me shit, we already talked on yahoo about it.

He also got me depressed. haha, dave FTW.

With Nittos, and maybe a hobbit behind the wheel, or a 4ft tall chinese woman maybe i can get a real time outta this manatee-goat-kangaroo car.

too bad u didnt have good tires and the driver mod saturady, the track was awesome before the rain

JohnnyT
08-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Can't wait to do some kangaroo hunting in a few weeks... :rolf

Just wanted to get some $hit started again... :D

Waver
08-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Holy smokes, Captain "Brakes while Shifting" is advising Danno-Roo how to drive stick! :durr :banana

You 2 need Autos then you could be in the 10's or sumthin!!

Hey man, all that was was my foot getting the side of the brake, not like I was trying to do a burner at every part of the track....happens to the best of us.....

I am not going to rip on you john buddy, you have had enough ups and downs with your car this year

Waver
08-06-2007, 07:07 AM
hey dave, wanna run my car against dan one day.....I think all you really need is one if you are driving it.

Slow Joe
08-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Matnatee + Goat + Kangaroo = manaotaroo

Mr. Brett
08-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Those numbers indicate that it would run mid 12's with traction, not 11's. And putting a time in your sig that is immediately followed by excuses and explanations is kind of obnoxious. Just put what it ran or nothing at all. With decent weather and a well prepped track, my car would probably go 12.5. But why would I write that in my sig? Not trying to start any shit, just saying.

Prince Valiant
08-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Dan, was that you I saw/passed on HWY 1XX a couple of fridays ago?

If it was, I was wondering why you pulled into the medical park?

Poncho
08-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Dan, was that you I saw/passed on HWY 1XX a couple of fridays ago?

If it was, I was wondering why you pulled into the medical park?

going to work likely.

Berettaspeed
08-06-2007, 09:08 PM
a worse 60 ft just means tire spin and a higher mph. with grip you 60 will come down as will your mph. it not going 11.s with out spray

due to such a low 1/8 mile mph vs 1/4 mph it shows he has way too much wheel spin and once traction kicks in, he gains alot of MPH... if he has traction earlier with more room he will get more MPH. if he had traction most of the traction and not just losing it at 60ft or 330ft then yes he prolly wouldn't gain MPH, but he has wheel spin up the ass.

hey dan... do you better traction on the street? I do. alot better in fact. i get almost no TQ steer at the track where on the street i get alot, but better traction. so it seems. its almost like the track is a a bit wet up top. i can hear my tires spin, but sounds like they are spinning like it would in the rain.

anyone else have this problem?

Reverend Cooper
08-06-2007, 09:24 PM
his mph will go down with traction or stay close to the same,it will not go higher,wheel spin=high mph

Waver
08-06-2007, 09:26 PM
nope.....I have worse traction issues on the street, and I have never had a problem on top, turbo or na

Poncho
08-06-2007, 11:04 PM
due to such a low 1/8 mile mph vs 1/4 mph it shows he has way too much wheel spin and once traction kicks in, he gains alot of MPH... if he has traction earlier with more room he will get more MPH. if he had traction most of the traction and not just losing it at 60ft or 330ft then yes he prolly wouldn't gain MPH, but he has wheel spin up the ass.

hey dan... do you better traction on the street? I do. alot better in fact. i get almost no TQ steer at the track where on the street i get alot, but better traction. so it seems. its almost like the track is a a bit wet up top. i can hear my tires spin, but sounds like they are spinning like it would in the rain.

anyone else have this problem?

There isn't really a good way to launch in 1st w/out spin.
maybe I should just launch @ 3500 in 2nd gear. Even if it's rolling @ 15mph in 1st gear, tromping on it will torture the tires and make them scream, i can only roll into it, then floor it once i hit maybe 30mph.

70challenger
08-06-2007, 11:43 PM
from what ive expeirienced at the track, street tires spin easier at the launch. dont now if it was adrenilin, or the track, nut the the track is set up for slicks and slicks only

HRSEPLA
08-09-2007, 08:58 AM
I just actually read this, and it is a funny ass thread!:rolf

jbiscuit
08-09-2007, 09:06 AM
that big bad kangaroo car runs 13.3's? REALLY? I drove my station wagon almost that fast a couple times with the stock snail, the stock air box, the stock intercooler and Mambo #5 playing on the stcok CD changer! :rolf

Waver
08-09-2007, 09:17 AM
now wouldnt he feel bad when a mildly modded 5.0 hits numbers close to that....hehehehehehe

jbiscuit
08-09-2007, 09:27 AM
with gears or no gears? Throw race gas in the 5.0 too so you can drop .7 tenths.

Waver
08-09-2007, 09:53 AM
with gears or no gears? Throw race gas in the 5.0 too so you can drop .7 tenths.

lol with the gears, the new injectors, and if I ever get that driveshaft that I ordered in......But racegas will help....maybe put me into the 12's (like I know shit about dsms) lol

SLOWC5
08-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Dan,

I think you should be happy getting that car to run mid 12's. Your MPH isn't there for 11's like everyone has said. What every other GTO has run with xxx mods is not your car. You should know that 2 cars are never the same. I ran 11.89-11.95 on a 113-115 mph. That was on slicks and cutting mid 1.5 60's