PDA

View Full Version : computer help

theavenger333
08-03-2007, 09:41 PM
i built a system for my parents probably 3 years ago, its a simple setup, 1.6ghz, ram etc. runs XP, works great. the CPU fan took a shyt awhile ago, and i replaced it with a slightly smaller one. it started turning off, when it re-started, it came up with an overheating message. i replaced the fan with the proper size one, worked fine. now all of a sudden the thing turns off on its own about once an hour. doesn't seem to matter heat wise, anything. the motherboard is still "on" the cards in the back are lit up. the switch does nothing, in order to turn it back on i have to flip the switch on the power supply a few times, then it restarts. i dont get ANY error messages, and when i check the event logs and such, there is nothing there. i replaced the power supply with a brand new one, thinking it might help, no dice. any ideas? i assume its not software, when its that, usually it will first tell you it needs to turn off, or tell you on the startup, but this sucker just flips off. doesn't matter if you're even doing anything.

Poncho
08-04-2007, 12:10 AM
battery fooked?

wikked
08-04-2007, 10:54 AM
If it was the battery, you'd see a message that the time/date need to be setup everytime it booted.

That's a toughy when it's been running fine for 3yrs.
It is possible you got a crap power supply again... but hmm... if it's a 400w, return it and try a 450w or 500w?

theavenger333
08-04-2007, 11:59 AM
is a 450, worked fine in the other system i had it in??

wikked
08-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Motherboard grounding out?

Don't see how though.

Mr. Brett
08-04-2007, 03:52 PM
I'd be happy to take a look at it for you if you can get the computer to me.

Poncho
08-04-2007, 06:12 PM
If it was the battery, you'd see a message that the time/date need to be setup everytime it booted.

That's a toughy when it's been running fine for 3yrs.
It is possible you got a crap power supply again... but hmm... if it's a 400w, return it and try a 450w or 500w?

Not always. I've seen some funny stuff, but generally thats gonna happen too.

I am in line with Wikked's idea of the motherboard. what about a bad capacitor?

02v6stangpwr
08-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Is it extremely dusty inside? That could cause some issues as well...

02v6stangpwr
08-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Is it extremely dusty inside? That could cause some issues as well...

-Joe (I didn't notice I was logged on under Kristie's Name... :rolf)

2kgtp
08-05-2007, 10:37 AM
I would rip out all the PCI cards. Check for blown caps as advised above. Clean out any dust etc. Did you apply new thermal compound to the cpu when replacing the fan?