PDA

View Full Version : computer problems. any ideas?

05caddyext
07-24-2007, 07:52 PM
I have a HP- Pavilion A1630n computer running windows xp. Lately, I have been using the computer and it just restarts itself. Sometimes I am on the internet, sometimes I am running programs, other times I won't be doing anything and it just restarts itself. Anyone have any ideas on why this would be happening? I have been in the middle of burning a cd several times and it just shuts off. Any help would be appreciated.

lilws6
07-24-2007, 07:55 PM
any virus's on your computer?

JohnnyT
07-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Sounds like a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). Right click your My computer icon and select Properties. Go to the Advanced tab and click the Startup and Recovery button. Uncheck the Automatically Reboot checkbox. This will keep your machine from auto rebooting when a BSOD happens. Once you see the BSOD message, you can troubleshoot from there. You can also look in your event viewer to see if you have had any BSODs.

wikked
07-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Sounds like something is overheating.
It reboots so it doesn't start melting things.

Are your fans working?
Do you have the case resting up against a wall and 500 cords with junk on top of it keeping the heat in?
When is the last time you blew ALL the dust out, including the fan blades?

Power supply could also be on it's last leg.

One of the two.

Slow Joe
07-24-2007, 09:07 PM
My toshiba laptop shuts off randomly for that reason, the fan is on the bottom and it overheats... Poor Design...

Holeshot
07-24-2007, 09:11 PM
My dell is cooled from the bottom to. I am thinking of putting in an extra fan some where on the bottom.

05caddyext
07-24-2007, 09:23 PM
The computer is only about 3 months old so im doubting its a cleaning issue. Ill look at it tomorrow when I get some more time. thanks for the info so far, keep it coming.

Holeshot
07-24-2007, 09:37 PM
If its new and you have run spy bot Ad Aware and your built in anti virus and no virus has been found you can run CC Cleaner
http://www.ccleaner.com/ You may have a issue in your registery. Sometimes the may be a bios update needed too.
All food for thought.

wikked
07-25-2007, 09:35 AM
Another longshot is bad ram, or old video drivers, but if it's only 3 months old....eh.

I'm still leaning towards Power Supply, those can be junk right out of the box.
Or you might not have a powerful one enough for your system.

Do this:

1. Go to Control Panel
2. System
3. Advanced
4. Start up and Recovery ... uncheck 'Automatically restart' and Apply.
That will enable you to see the blue screen.

Write down & post the error message when it happens again.

JohnnyT
07-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Do this:

1. Go to Control Panel
2. System
3. Advanced
4. Start up and Recovery ... uncheck 'Automatically restart' and Apply.
That will enable you to see the blue screen.

Write down & post the error message when it happens again.

Gee, that sounds familiar... ;)

6forwardgears
07-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Trust me, in 3 months (depending on the household) it could easily get dusty enough to cause heat issues. However, that being said, most modern computer will give you an audible alarm that it's overheating.

I'd first do the usual software checks - spyware and virii. If you still have the issue after that, burn your important data to some CDs or DVDs and run the system recovery software that came with your computer. It will wipe everything and set it up like it was when new. This will eliminate any possible software causes, so if it still restarts, your issue is hardware related. At that point it could be any number of things, but the most likely are hard drive or memory issues.

Waver
07-25-2007, 10:11 AM
You have the Bsod....do what others have said to fix that.

as far as the laptops go, get a chill pad (a laptop riser) with usb powered fans, that will take care of the problem..Toshiba has since moved the vents to the side of the computer to prevent that problem

wikked
07-25-2007, 10:15 AM
Gee, that sounds familiar... ;)

lol ohshìt, sorry, I was skimming thru :D