PDA

View Full Version : Police officer sentenced to 5 years for defendinig himself

Goat Roper
07-24-2007, 06:25 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/services/newspaper/premium/printedition/Sunday/chi-kass_bd15jul15,0,3103327.column

In an Iowa criminal case that smells of a thousand hogs, a young Chicago police officer was sentenced last week to 5 years in prison for defending himself against an attack by two large, drunken men, even though he testified that he repeatedly tried avoiding a fight.

There is a U.S. Department of Justice office in Iowa. What is happening to Chicago police officer Michael Mette bears some serious federal inquiry.

Dubuque District Court Judge Monica Ackley agrees Mette was attacked, he tried to avoid conflict, two large men hounded him down the street, and one of them got into Mette's face and began pushing him, repeatedly, before Mette threw one punch and knocked the guy out.

Still, she's sentencing this young Chicago cop to prison, she wrote, because that's the law in Iowa.

Mette has no clout in Dubuque. But Dubuque is a small town, and the intoxicated man's daddy is a boss in a giant Iowa trucking company.

Early last Thursday morning, I spoke with Mette, a four-year police officer in the Harrison District, and his father, Bob Mette, a veteran detective now running the Cook County state's attorney's sex crimes investigation unit. I asked Mike Mette about prison.

"To tell you the truth, it is not something I think about," he said about the sentence he will begin serving in October if an appeal isn't successful. "I am assuming I am going to get my ass kicked once the inmates find out I am a police officer."

There was no trembling on his face, no Oprah moment, just a straight look, a cop's look: "I know it's not going to be easy. Not thinking about it has kept me sane."

Mette told me his story. But these facts are also in court documents and Judge Ackley's written ruling.

Mette and his brother Marc, a former student at the University of Dubuque, along with a few other friends, were in that town for Marc's birthday on Oct. 8, 2005. They had a few drinks and heard about a house party. When they arrived, two college students at the door said the beer was downstairs, for $5 a head. They went down to check out the party.

"There was absolutely nobody in the basement," Mette told me. "There was a keg in the corner. Nobody there. We took a look, and said, let's get out of here."

That took about a minute. They did not drink a drop. They left.

But the kegger host, Dubuque University golfer Jacob Gothard, became enraged and started calling them "ignorant and offensive names," the judge ruled.

Gothard had been drinking heavily for hours. His blood alcohol level would later be measured as .310, almost four times the legal limit in Illinois. No matter what side of the Mississippi you're on, that's blind drunk.

Gothard shouted that he would call police and brandished a cell phone; then, Gothard told police, he couldn't find the phone -- he assumed someone stole it.

Mette, 30, who is about 6 feet tall and 190 pounds, left with his brother and a couple others, including a 5-foot, 8-inch friend of theirs, Chris Tanner. They walked down the street to Marc Mette's home. Just then, Gothard, who is about 6 feet, 2 inches and his roommate, Nicholas Boyd, a 6-foot, 8-inch, 240-pound basketball player from Downers Grove, chased them.

Gothard ran up to Mette and pushed him, hard, with both fists in the chest, "at least two times, maybe three," Judge Ackley wrote. After repeatedly trying to avoid a fight, Mette felt he had no choice. He threw a punch. Gothard was knocked unconscious to the ground.

Prosecutor Timothy Gallagher said that Gothard was severely injured and had to be airlifted to a hospital. The prosecution's case was that Gothard was near death, suffering from a broken jaw, and nose and bleeding on the brain. He was hurt, certainly, but if he hadn't liquored up and chased strangers and pushed them, he would have been fine.

A few months afterward, Gothard was posting killer golf scores for the college golf team. So he wasn't that injured. He was drunk, yet prosecutors didn't pursue that angle.

"When his cell phone disappeared, that's what put him out into the public [way]," Gallagher said, suggesting it's OK to charge down the street in a drunken rage and push strangers. "His claim was that he was the victim."

Jake's father, Curt Gothard, did not return a phone call. He spent more time in court than his son, who, when he wasn't posting great golf scores, was posting high levels of intoxication. After his dust-up with Mette, Jake Gothard was convicted for driving under the influence.

Gothard will golf. Boyd will dribble a basketball. And Mike Mette will go to prison.

"It's been a two-year nightmare," said Mike's father, Bob. "My stomach has got to have a hole the size of the Grand Canyon."

Iowa is celebrated for corn, for decent people, and for that fantasy baseball park built on a farm at the end of a dirt road, with the baseball immortals stepping out from the cornstalks whispering, if you build it, they will come.

Mette played baseball in college. But what's happening to him isn't about Iowa baseball mythology. It doesn't smell of corn.

It stinks of the pig barn.

Follow-up article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-kassbdsun7-22jul22,0,4869531,full.story

The local Dubuque paper, the Telegraph Herald, had been pushing the propaganda from the local judge and county attorney. Let them know your thoughts so that common sense can make it to the locals, it seems to be the best way to get outrage going there in hickville;

Editors:
jnormandin@wcinet.com
bcooper@wcinet.com

Local television:
newsroom@kwwl.com
newsroom@kcrg.com
kgan@kgan.com

Google "michael mette" dubuque and see how far this has spread.

Breecher_7
07-24-2007, 06:39 PM
What bunch of bullshit............. Criminals walk free the innocent get punnished, typical..........

Karps TA
07-24-2007, 06:41 PM
As stupid as the story is I gotta ask What's a 30 year old cop doing going to a college kegger? He should know better then that.

Nix
07-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Sounds like the cop packs some serious punch with one hitting everyone and knocking them out. Regardless its bullshit, party or not that was a first mistake and atleast he left cause no one was there but self defence is self defence.

STANMAN
07-24-2007, 07:55 PM
One hitter quitter!!! Good for the cop!!!! And what was he doing at a kegger?? Have you ever been around drunk college girls??? If so, you shouldn't EVER ask that question:rolf

flyin_blue_egg
07-24-2007, 08:10 PM
it don't matter where he was..party or not...he hit the guy once in self defense...which it seems the prosecutor even admitted to...yet he gets 5 years....BS!!!!

Rocket Power
07-24-2007, 08:33 PM
That is some BULLLLLSH1T.

Reverend Cooper
07-24-2007, 09:38 PM
f'n bullshit

Syclone0044
07-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Sounds to me like we're only getting one side of the story. They wouldn't send him to prison if it was so clear cut. What was the argument that resulted in the prison sentence? They don't explain why he wasn't able to claim innocence via self defense.

Goat Roper
07-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Sounds to me like we're only getting one side of the story. They wouldn't send him to prison if it was so clear cut. What was the argument that resulted in the prison sentence? They don't explain why he wasn't able to claim innocence via self defense.

Because in Iowa self defense legally is only running away in most circumstances. Since he knocked this guy out in one swing as opposed to retreating he now has to go to prison. The judge even notes that he didn't start it, he just ended it.

http://130.94.144.194/mette001.jpg
http://130.94.144.194/mette002.jpg
http://130.94.144.194/mette003.jpg
http://130.94.144.194/mette004.jpg

Syclone0044
07-28-2007, 03:38 PM
It's funny everyone jumped to the conclusion this was bullshit, "Criminals walk free the innocent get punnished", but a review of the findings of fact paints an incredibly different story:

Facts

- One of the 6 in the officer's group, grabbed the cell phone out of the drunk guy's hand and took it. This appears to be what put the drunk guy over the top. (It appears they didn't intend to steal it, because at some point they put it in his mailbox, unbeknownst to the drunk guy).

- The 2 drunk guys were angry and wanted the cell phone back, and they started getting into the face of the 6 (including the officer) and the drunk guy pushed the (off duty) officer two or three times. That's when the officer punched him and knocked him out with 1 punch which resulted in internal bleeding of the brain, broken nose, among other things. So it was the officer who threw the one and only punch. This is after they "stole" the cell phone out of the drunk guy's hand. Doesn't seem so INNOCENT now, does it?

- After the drunk guy got knocked out, the group (including the officer) agreed to LIE about what happened and claim the drunk merely fell down and hurt himself!

It's impossible to claim this officer is totally innocent given all these facts. The truth is, he was the person to throw the punch and cause the brain damage. If the drunk guy threw a punch first, it could have been a whole different story, but that's not what happened.

Silver03SRT
07-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Let me ask you a question. If someone kept pushing you and getting in your face what would you do. Im glad that guy got knocked out. Also its true. The innocent get punished. How many times do you hear where someone breaks into another persons house either falls down and breaks something or gets shot and the criminal sues. It happens all the time. I know it happened to my friends grandpa and it will continue to happen.

Syclone0044
07-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Let me ask you a question. If someone kept pushing you and getting in your face what would you do. Im glad that guy got knocked out. Also its true. The innocent get punished. How many times do you hear where someone breaks into another persons house either falls down and breaks something or gets shot and the criminal sues. It happens all the time. I know it happened to my friends grandpa and it will continue to happen.

Let me tell you something instead. I wouldn't swipe a drunk guy's cell phone. I wouldn't swipe anyone's cell phone. So they wouldn't have a reason to chase after me and demand it back.

You're glad the guy got knocked out. Are you glad he was at risk of death? Are you also glad his cell phone got 'stolen' in the first place?

Are you saying it's acceptable to punch a guy hard enough to put him at risk of death, after you stole his cell phone, and he hasn't punched you yet, and that it's OK to lie to the cops about what happened?

How many times do I hear where someone breaks into a house and the criminal sues? Almost never. In fact I would look up such a story on Snopes before I believed it. Your anecdotal story (especially without any verifiable information) doesn't even come close to proving your assertion that "all the time, innocent people are getting sued by criminals who attempted to steal from them". Not to mention it doesn't address the lack of innocence on the officer's part in the case on topic.

Karps TA
07-28-2007, 04:07 PM
There was 6 guys against 2 drunk guys. Those 6 could have walked away easily. And I highly doubt they didn't say anything when they left. I'm sure they argued about paying a cup charge when there was noone there. What makes there side of the story worse was this guy was a cop. How is he when he is on the job? The sentence is a little long.

That last piece of information, actually made me change my mind completely on the story.

HITMAN
07-28-2007, 08:37 PM
If this same cop were one of the assholes that kicked you out of Culver's, how would you feel about him then? This guy is a LEO that is supposed to not only know better, but set an example of how we should all obey the law. He broke it, he took his chances with with trial by judge instead of a jury of his peers, and now he pays the consequences for his stupidity. In light of the fact that Jake's injuries turned out to not be as severe as originally thought, I admit that the sentence does seem Draconian. I guess I hope he wins his appeal, or at least gets a reduced sentence, but as for getting his job back as a LEO? No way.

Silver03SRT
07-29-2007, 03:12 AM
Let me tell you something instead. I wouldn't swipe a drunk guy's cell phone. I wouldn't swipe anyone's cell phone. So they wouldn't have a reason to chase after me and demand it back.

You're glad the guy got knocked out. Are you glad he was at risk of death? Are you also glad his cell phone got 'stolen' in the first place?

Are you saying it's acceptable to punch a guy hard enough to put him at risk of death, after you stole his cell phone, and he hasn't punched you yet, and that it's OK to lie to the cops about what happened?

How many times do I hear where someone breaks into a house and the criminal sues? Almost never. In fact I would look up such a story on Snopes before I believed it. Your anecdotal story (especially without any verifiable information) doesn't even come close to proving your assertion that "all the time, innocent people are getting sued by criminals who attempted to steal from them". Not to mention it doesn't address the lack of innocence on the officer's part in the case on topic.

First off it seemed to me that they were pulling a prank on the guy because they put his cellphone in the mail box. Second my moto is strike first strike hard. If I feel a fight is about to break out I am not going to be the one that is laying unconscious. (I am not that big of a guy or a big fighter) but I will be damned if a guy gets the first shot in on me. Third if he was so brain damaged how could he be golfing a few weeks later. I think the alcohol had something to do with his close to death. Fourth read the laws on shooting someone in your house. They must threaten your life before you can take any action. I have said it before I even seen this thread that criminals have more rights than people that abide by the law. Its the way our justice system works. We can thank the liberals for that one.

Silver03SRT
07-29-2007, 03:14 AM
Didnt take me long to find this one.
http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2006/09/burglar-sues-doctor-after-breaking.html

pOrk
07-29-2007, 03:19 AM
First off it seemed to me that they were pulling a prank on the guy because they put his cellphone in the mail box. Second my moto is strike first strike hard. If I feel a fight is about to break out I am not going to be the one that is laying unconscious. (I am not that big of a guy or a big fighter) but I will be damned if a guy gets the first shot in on me. Third if he was so brain damaged how could he be golfing a few weeks later. I think the alcohol had something to do with his close to death. Fourth read the laws on shooting someone in your house. They must threaten your life before you can take any action. I have said it before I even seen this thread that criminals have more rights than people that abide by the law. Its the way our justice system works. We can thank the liberals for that one.

:rolf:alcoholic

Silver03SRT
07-29-2007, 03:20 AM
http://www.walterolson.com/articles/mugmill.html