PDA

View Full Version : Dyno shop recommendations

michelle
07-23-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm looking for some good, quality dyno shops to take the '90 to in a few weeks. I have a friend flying in who is more familiar with Tweecer then I am, so I want to take advantage of it and get the SHO on a dyno and get it running better.

I live in Whitewater currently, but if there are some in Milwaukee that are highly recommended, I have no problem with that.

I was thinking C&M since I am from Hubertus and I have heard nothing but good things, but also that they are very busy.

Any recommendations would be great - thanks!

And because I can (and I thought it looked pretty sexy at the SHO Convention last week):

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g244/reupertm/mmmmm.jpg

Reverend Cooper
07-23-2007, 08:40 PM
its usually a good sign if they are very busy! Marv Zuidema FTMFW at C&M
1-262-993-6605

Car Guy
07-23-2007, 09:38 PM
I second that, there's a reason that they're busy. I would rather wait and have it done right opposed to getting it done ASAP by 'someone else'.....

BTW I thought that was your car, looks good and after seeing all of the pics in that thread I got pissed off at myself for not going.....:chair:

:3gears::3gears::3gears:

CannotPost
07-24-2007, 08:32 AM
I do not know much about SHO's, what do they typically put down on the dyno? Your model is a V6 right? Will they make more than 250 hp N/A?

Car Guy
07-24-2007, 09:10 AM
I do not know much about SHO's, what do they typically put down on the dyno? Your model is a V6 right? Will they make more than 250 hp N/A?

Yes it's a V6, and 250hp is possible but it has to be a pretty stout N/A motor. I don't know the set-up she's got but most decently modded SHO's will be in the low 200 range.....

However, slap on a turbo and you'll be looking at 300+ to start......:devil

CannotPost
07-24-2007, 09:21 AM
Yes it's a V6, and 250hp is possible but it has to be a pretty stout N/A motor. I don't know the set-up she's got but most decently modded SHO's will be in the low 200 range.....

However, slap on a turbo and you'll be looking at 300+ to start......:devil

Noice, I just did a bit of googling and saw that. 300+ seems like the mark. How much do these cars weigh? One guy was saying he had over 600hp:wow
I did not know there was such a strong community for these cars.....

michelle
07-24-2007, 11:09 AM
BTW I thought that was your car, looks good and after seeing all of the pics in that thread I got pissed off at myself for not going.....:chair:

You really should have gone. It was a great time, just like the past two years I have gone. Next year is Seattle, going to go for it?

Or you will have to come to a mini-meet in WI. Or even the second biggest meet in IL is on August 11th. It's a BBQ, but all us crazy people get together and some even fly in for it so that tells you something right there. (:

Car Guy
07-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Noice, I just did a bit of googling and saw that. 300+ seems like the mark. How much do these cars weigh? One guy was saying he had over 600hp:wow
I did not know there was such a strong community for these cars.....

There just over the 3k pound mark depending on the set-up. The Yamaha motors that they put it SHO's really like boost and that's where you'll see the most potential. Even if the motor is mainly stock with lower boost it's 300 to start, but you can easily see 400+ with more boost and upgrades to the engine. The community is fairly small compared to most other makes/models but most all are very deticated, intelligent, and extremely helpful.....

The most popular site is SHOforum.com if you want to find out more info. But I warn you, many have been turned into obsessed SHO fanatics time and time again from starting off knowing nothing about SHO's.....:devil

You really should have gone. It was a great time, just like the past two years I have gone. Next year is Seattle, going to go for it?

Or you will have to come to a mini-meet in WI. Or even the second biggest meet in IL is on August 11th. It's a BBQ, but all us crazy people get together and some even fly in for it so that tells you something right there. (:

I'll be looking for more info on the IL meet then.....:thumbsup

michelle
07-24-2007, 01:34 PM
If you are really interested, let me know. I can send you details because it isn't very public, unless you go on SHOcago.com, then it is all there.

Car Guy
07-24-2007, 01:39 PM
If you are really interested, let me know. I can send you details because it isn't very public, unless you go on SHOcago.com, then it is all there.

PM Sent...!!! :thumbsup

CannotPost
07-24-2007, 01:42 PM
[QUOTE=Car Guy;301579]There just over the 3k pound mark depending on the set-up. The Yamaha motors that they put it SHO's really like boost and that's where you'll see the most potential. Even if the motor is mainly stock with lower boost it's 300 to start, but you can easily see 400+ with more boost and upgrades to the engine. The community is fairly small compared to most other makes/models but most all are very deticated, intelligent, and extremely helpful.....

The most popular site is SHOforum.com if you want to find out more info. But I warn you, many have been turned into obsessed SHO fanatics time and time again from starting off knowing nothing about SHO's.....:devil

Thanks for the info! Are the V6 cars the most desirable? I did not find much in the way V8's.

STANMAN
07-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Wait for Marv to free up some time, you won't be sorry. He only works on Fords, actually enjoys it, and won't let you leave until you're satisfied, even if he has to take a loss, and no I am not kidding. He's just a great guy to do business with, and a great guy to know in general, a real quality human being which seems rare in todays day and age.

BAD LS1
07-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Not to stir the pot here but...

A buddy of mine and his father, big ford nuts just took a Fox body with a vortech on it to Marv to just get some numbers, and no tuning recently and had a bad dealing with him.

Not sure if he has the ability to tune those older cars either?

His quote:

"He likes the people that come in with a blank check and say "make my car go fast". If you know anything at all, he likes to challenge you and try and make you think that he knows more or that the stuff he uses is better......oh do I hate him."

Cant wait till i can get the ability to tune newer ford stuff to help people out.

PS: Dont flame my ass for posting this, just passing on info about someones recent experience.

Flight_740
07-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Everytime the SHO engine size increased, the performance decreased.

STANMAN
07-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Not to stir the pot here but...

A buddy of mine and his father, big ford nuts just took a Fox body with a vortech on it to Marv to just get some numbers, and no tuning recently and had a bad dealing with him.

Not sure if he has the ability to tune those older cars either?

His quote:

"He likes the people that come in with a blank check and say "make my car go fast". If you know anything at all, he likes to challenge you and try and make you think that he knows more or that the stuff he uses is better......oh do I hate him."

Cant wait till i can get the ability to tune newer ford stuff to help people out.

PS: Dont flame my ass for posting this, just passing on info about someones recent experience.

He doesn't care much for Fox bodies, especially with blowers, but he does, and will, work on them. This is really the first time I have heard someone, and I mean anyone, say something negative about him as a business man, or on a more personal level. To say "I hate someone" because they want to challenge your thinking on anything is absurd. Marv challenges my thinking all the time, and I have always taken as it's because he knows what works. I am confident that he has forgotten more about Mustangs than 90% of the rest of us will ever know, so generally when he talks, I just listen instead of getting my panties in a bunch. And Marv is a Vortech dealer, so I can't imagine he was recommending anything else. I mean I already know when I go to Marv for cams he isn't going to like it. Why? Because he knows for the $$$$ I am going to have to spend that I could go for a charger for a little bit more and get alot more performance. But, when I tell him I want something different, he will laugh, say "I know, you always want something different", and then give me an awesome quote for an install and tune. When he trys talking me out of the cams, it's not because he wants to sell me something, it's because he knows there's better ways to make power for less (in the long run).

Tom, I am really not flaming, and I am waiting for you to get up to speed on Ford stuff to, because basically I look at you as the Marv of Chevy stuff (I mean you care about the product, care about the customer, and actually LIKE cars, you're not doing it for the $$$$$$) I am just suprised. It's really (and I mean really, even a whiff) the first time I am hearing of someone having a problem with Marv. Did these people talk to Marv about their experiance?? I am betting not, Marv would never let a customer walk away with a bad taste in their mouth.

Car Guy
07-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Everytime the SHO engine size increased, the performance decreased.

Well there were only two increases, but your right in a way. For the most part the SHO in general started off as a serious street performer, but as every year passed it got more and more plush to accomodate the 'general' public.....

There are rumors that in 1986-87 when the Yamaha engineers were developing/testing the engine one set-up made over 300hp N/A. They never considered using that version but wanted to see what the technology was capable of. Even at the 225hp rating the SHO was faster [or as fast] than the Mustang until the introduction of the 4.6L in 1996.....:wooo

Reverend Cooper
07-24-2007, 09:33 PM
yeah tom your buddy is one of very few that i would say had any issues. my thought is did he not want to spend any money and thats why marv couldnt help him. nobody should or has to work for free. and hey if marv has an idea of what works for certain combos and such shouldnt he impress that on someone,i know i would,and im sure you would tom. marv is the man sorry,no matter what your into there are always some that cant be satisfied.

michelle
07-24-2007, 10:01 PM
I've spoken to Marv about the Tweecer before and I don't think at the time he was very familiar with it. I'm more looking for a two hour block on the dyno to work on the tunes and create a few different setups - track, street, etc.

BAD LS1
07-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Yeah i dont know the whole story because i mentioned to him i wanted to dyno my car and thats when he got up on the soap box about marv through an email. Ill find out the rest of the story later.

michelle
07-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Just spoke to Marv and he is booked solid until the 20th. I need something on the 13th, any second options?

michelle
07-25-2007, 09:42 AM
I setup a time with King Motorsports in New Berlin - any opinions of that place? They seem more of an import company, but a dyno is a dyno.

$90 an hour didn't seem too bad either.

Waver
07-25-2007, 09:54 AM
I setup a time with King Motorsports in New Berlin - any opinions of that place? They seem more of an import company, but a dyno is a dyno.

$90 an hour didn't seem too bad either.
I know that they specialize in honda/acura, or at least that is what is always outside their shop....but then again you do have an import engine.....I would of just stuck with marv

Car Guy
07-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Did you try asking around on SHOforum...???

michelle
07-25-2007, 10:00 AM
I know that they specialize in honda/acura, or at least that is what is always outside their shop....but then again you do have an import engine.....I would of just stuck with marv

My friend is coming out on the 12th from Boston and can't stay until the 20th, so it's my fault for not calling sooner. I live two miles away from Marv's shop, so I will get there soon enough. (:

Flight_740
07-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Well there were only two increases, but your right in a way.

I thought it started as a 3.0 v6, went to a 3.2 v6, then jumped to the V8.:confused

michelle
07-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Started with the 3.0L in '89 and when the ATX was introduced, they bumped it up to 3.2L for just the ATX. In '96 they jumped up to the 3.4L V8 and only an ATX (although there are now two '96 MTX V8's..... but each took a lot of custom work).

Now people are using the 3.2's with their MTX's. And some have created 3.3's as well. And then turbo's and superchargers and a little spraying too.

Car Guy
07-25-2007, 11:19 AM
I thought it started as a 3.0 v6, went to a 3.2 v6, then jumped to the V8.:confused

Yeah you're right, I was agreeing with you.....