PDA

View Full Version : E-Bay scam?? Computer guru help...

Scales
07-22-2007, 05:47 AM
Ok, so I just recieved my Netgear WGE111 (wireless gaming adaptor) that I bought "new" (ad said new) from E-Bay. When I open the box, I find that it has already been opened for me. Every protective seal has been broken, and the UPC has been cut off the box. Now keep in mind that I bid on a NEW item. Well I decide to ignore the packaging and test the product. I spend about 3 hours trying to get it to recognize my router. No dice. I then call NETGEAR tech support. After about a 90 minute call with no success, I get disconnected. Everything I tried on my own was pretty much the same as what tech support had me do. For the life of me, I can not get this thing to recognize a wireless signal. It will read my signal strength at 100% (testing at about a 2 foot distance) but it will not accept it. I have tried with no security, with WEP, and with WAP/whatever... Still no dice. So for all you computer gurus out there, do I have a fualty product, or is there just something wrong with the config.??? I am a$$ out lost on this one! All I know is I have about 20 days to make it work or send it back. Not too sure if it matters, but I am using a Netgear WGR614v5 router, and again, the adapter is a WGE111. It was recomended from Netgear's site. Any help would be GLADLY appreciated!!!! I don't want to spend another 90 minutes on the phone with Akbar!!!

Yooformula
07-22-2007, 06:53 AM
same issues with that pos for my dell laptop. Took forever but i finally got it and i dont even remember how. sorry nothing helpful to add. good luck

Slow Joe
07-22-2007, 08:17 AM
If your computer can recognize the router, but the router can't recognize the internet there is probably something set wrong with the router. Most faulty routers (that I've had) have been flakey on the wireless side, not the internet side.

jersyboyy
07-22-2007, 09:17 PM
That is def. a config problem usually if it recognizes the router and the signal strength you have to configure some settings ...and Yoo's you cant figure out how you got it because I did it for you last time I was in town. (i cant remeber how it was done either tho :rolf so sorry!)

Poncho
07-22-2007, 09:51 PM
is it pulling an IP address? can you check the tables in your router and see if the wireless adapter shows up in the network pool? you can perm auth the ip addy, which would require setting it w/ a static IP instead of DHCP.

did you check the router for mac filtering?

what gaming system are you trying to connect to the network?

pOrk
07-22-2007, 10:39 PM
I think you are a fool for wasting your time. Demand you money back and send it back, it's not what you paid for.

Scales
07-23-2007, 08:16 AM
My router works fine I just can't get the wireless adaptor to recieve the signal. My wife used to be running her computer wirelessly from this router, so I know that is not the problem. Basically here's what happens. I run the setup disc I got with the adaptor. It scans the network to find any wireless device. Once found, it searches for a wireless signal. I select mine, and continue. Then I can either set it up DHCP or static. I've tried both with no success. I've even tried manually adding it's MAC to my permitted wireless connections and that didn't work either. I think I'm getting ready to pack this thing back up and send it back. But since I'm stubborn, I'm sure I'll waste at least another day or 2 trying to get it to work before that.

All I get from the book is that I have to match the IP and security settings to the router. Did that. If I have it hard wired in with a cat-5, it has a signal. As soon as I unplug it, it pops up that the connection is lost. I dunno. I will try to figure it out on my next day off. My PS2 has been offline since I moved in March, so I would hate to have to send it back and just call it quits. I mis getting my a$$ kicked in Madden by 7 year olds. :goof

tbarsch
07-25-2007, 12:09 PM
I've even tried manually adding it's MAC to my permitted wireless connections and that didn't work either.

So, you use the permitted wireless connection list? Then you really should add BOTH MAC addresses from your gaming adapter to that list - the wireless MAC and the wired MAC address (that goes to your game system)...

Scales
07-27-2007, 03:28 AM
I've actually never used that before, I was just trying anything I could find to make it work. I still have had no luck with getting this thing configured. Who would've thought it would be this tough?!?! :mad:

badass88gt
07-27-2007, 04:24 AM
Demand you money back and send it back, it's not what you paid for.

Ditto.

Scales
07-27-2007, 04:36 AM
Ok, I don't know what the hell I did, but now it's working. I just started over from ground zero and got it to work without security. Turned security on, configured the adaptor for security, and presto. Online game play. I must've forgot to carry the one or something. :goof All I know is I'm glad I finally got it figured out!!!