PDA

View Full Version : tuning old cars is fun

jbiscuit
07-19-2007, 09:52 AM
I've had the urge lately to see what I can do with my tune on the Biscuit so the last couple nights I have been out in the garage wrenching. I wasn't REAL happy with the tune so I figured let's see what I can do with it.

Here is what I am working with:
.030 over 327
double hump heads with port matched intake
mild cam (specs unknown)
crane rockers/ springs
Eddy performer intake
holley 750 double pumper
Eddy mech. fuel pump
MSD 6al box
MSD 85551 mech. advance distributor
external coil
headers
Eddy high volume aluminum water pump

First I swapped out that oil last week from 10W30 to the 20W50 racing oil....good first step. The motor loves this stuff....highly recommended for older V8's. Next I swapped plugs. The motor had 1° hotter plugs when I got it so I swapped these out with standard heat range Champions. Car runs better all around. Next: New Taylor 8mm Spiro Pro Wires.

Car has had a slight...and I mean slight stumble off idle since I bought it. I noticed the motor was running a hair lean both at idle (a lil too lean) so I thought fattening up the carb a hair would eliminate the stumble. No dice. Again with just a lil more fuel at idle, it runs/starts better so its still an improvement. Plugs look good too as far as A/F. Secondaries are coming in nicely, no bog no nothing.

Next I tackle the distributor. Mechanical advance is pretty straightforward. Upon getting in there to tune it, I notice the thing is RIGHT on the ragged edge with too much timing. Just a BIT of advance makes the thing break up. SO what if I have TOO much initial I think? What if I back it off a hair? So I do and MAN what a difference. It was at 12° inital and now its at like 9. What a huge difference this adjustment makes. Idle is better/smoother, the off-idle stumble is gone too which is nice and the car makes a LOT more power. A quick test drive confirms this. Pulls all the way through the RPM range.

I'm no expert at tuning these things but its nice to see instant results when you make an adjustment. All it takes is some time and patience.

juicedimpss
07-19-2007, 10:08 AM
nice job J.

jbiscuit
07-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Thanks Ron!

Its just nice to see that minor adjustments can make a noticable difference. I've been reading anything I can get my hands on about tuning these things and thenjust getting out there and trying it. I'm careful to just make MINOR changes.

WilliamZ
07-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Champions? I wont even put their plug in my mower! :banana1:

Glad to hear it is running better!

jbiscuit
07-19-2007, 10:55 AM
I never had any issues with Champions? The wagon gets NGKs.

Karps TA
07-19-2007, 11:26 AM
It's only fun when the tuning is working. When you're struggling to find a problem and nothing is working, it's not as much fun. lol

UnderPSI
07-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Champions? I wont even put their plug in my mower!

Coming from the guy who went to hack shack midas for exhaust work I don't know how credible that statement is anyway.

I never had a problem with champions.

Good luck with the car. That thing is clean. I am so jealous of that car.

jbiscuit
07-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks Brad!

WilliamZ
07-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Coming from the guy who went to hack shack midas for exhaust work I don't know how credible that statement is anyway.

That's because the dummies on this forum recommended them! :goof
It's all better now, and done the right way :shades

purpl72olds
07-19-2007, 07:01 PM
Heard a nasty rumor that t/a is collecting dust!

WilliamZ
07-19-2007, 10:03 PM
It will be on the road next week...

Sorry J for my clutter :(

70challenger452
07-20-2007, 07:53 AM
and it's great to be able to tune things with out a fred.

jbiscuit
07-20-2007, 08:09 PM
It will be on the road next week...

Sorry J for my clutter :(

:rolf no prob man! Its BCM.....its all clutter :rolf